What cdp to buy – Onkyo, Rotel or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pick-me-up, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

what?
    what about NAD?

They make some great gear!

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Rega, Denon.

3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Rotel.

pick-me-up likes this.
  4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI Thread Starter

There is a used tool: Rotel RCD-1520 on sale here in Sweden. The price is about 517 US$. Is that a fair price? You might think also that hifi gear is generel more expensive here than in USA.
    I don’t know what year model it is. They give three month warrant too.

How is it possible that 1520 is more expensive than 1570? At least here in Sweden. There are still a few left to buy.

5. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I paid $600+ for a demo off the floor, three years ago. At the time, list was $800+ for new. I'd say $517 is a good price. I'm not sure why the 1570 would be less, maybe I'm wrong about the numbering system on Rotel or maybe people wanted the 1520 more.

6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I should reveal that all of my components are Rotel. It was explained to me, at the time, that Rotel engineered warmth, rather than digital precision, harshness into their sound. I do not know how the Rotel's sound would be affected by pairings with other brands of equipment.

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

i feel the same way regarding my older dx-7555 player. i got it for 600 usd direct from onkyo...

8. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Rotel is a safe bet. I've got an older model, the RCD-1072 and it's still a great player.

I am admittedly a Rotel fan. Like Nice Marmot I've got a Rotel front end and Rotel amp and I like what they do together.

tmtomh, pick-me-up and Nice Marmot like this.
  9. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Another vote for Rotel. Other good choices have been mentioned but over time Rotel have done a nice job engineering their products with great sound at modest price. They provide good after sale support through their dealers.

Nice Marmot, wgriel and pick-me-up like this.
  10. pick-me-up

I am also a member on a Finnish hifi URL, and there are a couple of guys who have also recommended Yamaha.
    SACD-models has gotten enormous reviews! The only negativ thing is, IMHO: they are NOT that good on Red Book discs. SO, if I could afford for instance Yamaha CD-S1000, which DAC can you recommend to get in time? It may not be too expensive! Meaning costing as much as the CDP.
    The best price I’ve seen here in Sweden new is about 1077 US$. A used one goes for 659 US$, so what is the best buy?

But I haven’t YET decided what to buy. I do understand, that I must consider even other brands!
    The main thing is = the Red Book sound is more important than SACD. I guess there are NOT players that are truly good at both. Not for this price. But I’m beginning to feel that at least Pioneer is out of the picture. If I can’t get a relly good deal with it.
    And I’d love to listen to the Onkyo, but my stores don’t have it home, and I am not sure if it is possible to order either, just for listening. So I just have to trust on opinions on the net.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You might consider a used universal player, and a new DAC to go with it.

And older Pioneer players have an excellent reputation for rock-solid transports.

The nice thing about outboard DACs is that they come in a wide variety of price points, and most can be expected to exceed the performance of all but the most expensive CD players.

In Europe, iFi/Abbingdon and Schiit (among many others) are worth investigating.

pick-me-up likes this.
  12. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That certainly seems to be the consensus among Onkyo customers and dealers. I'll say one thing, though : Onkyo USA helped resolve an Esoteric-related related issue to my satisfaction which Esoteric USA had basically walked away from. Might be the exception rather than the rule but they helped me out big-time.

D.D.

13. pick-me-up

Thank you so kindly, gd0! I’m very curious to test this way to hifi nirvana. :)
    Maybe there is a way I can let fix my Marantz SA-8400. (It refuses to play almost everything! Does’nt even recognice most cd:s) In that case there is no hurry to buy anything new. But I’d love to get something new too. I will truly think over this situation. Somehow I love slightly used equipment. In that case the worst failures should alreday been taking care of.
    P.S. I’ll ask the guys on the Finnish forum – about DAC:s on a budget. They know best the situation in Fennoscandia.

gd0 likes this.
  14. motorcitydave

definitely the consensus...but onkyo is, on the overall a good brand. that was really cool of them to do that for you, but i'm a bit confused...isn't esoteric a subsidiary of teac?

pick-me-up likes this.
  15. pick-me-up

Of course you are right, Dave
    ESOTERIC – High-end consumer audio products of TEAC.

What ever my road will be, I’d love to try this D A C way. But it may not be too expensive! Let’s say maximum circa 400 USD. Any good hints, and I don’t want any battery or such a thing. And I can live without USB as well. Pure sound is all I’m asking. :) NOT too much bass or ”musical” thing … Analytic is my cup of tea.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  16. motorcitydave

cool, thanks. lol.

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Marantz units have great sound, and I mean no disrespect to satisfied Marantz owners, but there are a heck of a lot of reports of reliability problems with their disc players. In addition to the reports I've seen online, my father had one (an 8004 or 8005 I believe) and had the same problem - it became finicky reading discs, would function intermittently, etc. After gong back and forth to a Marantz repair facility twice, and being there for weeks at a time both times, they finally told him it needed a whole new laser assembly and they couldn't get the parts. They ended up giving him a chunk of money, which he used towards a Sony XA5400ES (he needs SACD capability as well).

George P likes this.
  18. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Actually, Esoteric and Teac are both now owned by Gibson Guitar, as is Onkyo/Integra. Onkyo/Integra is now in charge of Esoteric service, etc. Onkyo, Integra, Esoteric, Teac, Cabasse and Pioneer / Pioneer Elite are one big dysfunctional family now. Welcome to globalization. Ain't it grand ?

D.D.

pick-me-up likes this.
  19. motorcitydave

wow i did not know that. thanks!

Diamond Dog likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

21. pick-me-up

Gibson Guitar expands its electronics holdings with acquisition of TEAC »

22. motorcitydave

does that mean you have 1 too?

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Listen to it every day; very glad I bought it back then. Sounds great, solid build. :)

24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The Stan Curtis designed Rotel gear was seriously good.

pick-me-up likes this.
  25. motorcitydave

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.