What characterizes a "Jeff Lynne" production?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Why am I able to identify one of Jeff Lynne's productions within a few seconds of listening? I was listening to Roy Orbison 's Mystery Girl the other night, half-forgetting that it was one of Jeff Lynne's productions. I am not a musician or a recording engineer, so I can't easily recognize any production technique, per se. From what I hear when I listen, is that he uses a lot of "heavenly" style background vocals on the choruses, guitar strum and snare drum (with a bit of echo) rhythm, overall sound is not too bassy, strings (violins, etc) here and there (occasional "Beatlesque" sounding). But in addition to all of that, what does he do to the sound that makes it so identifiable (to me at least)?

DK Pete, hi_watt and Rockford & Roll like this.
  2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Steve would be your man for this .......but I can tell you how I identify it.
    His drum sound is always the same.....it almost sounds like he sticks a mic on the snare, one above the drummer, and that's it! It's almost a mono drum sound.....and VERY compressed! His acoustic guitars always have that real glistening sound.....I wish I knew how he got that. He also always has some kind of descending riff on a 12 string or 6 string electric....real clean and echoey. Think "You Got It" or "This Is Love" from Cloud 9. Plus those Jeff Lynne layered (quite messily) background vocals!

hi_watt and Rockford & Roll like this.
  3. Prettyboyfloyd

Prettyboyfloyd New Member

Get George Harrison's last LP "Brainwashed" Lynn's stye & production is all over it! It's a very good album, second only to "All Things Must Pass"

hi_watt likes this.
  4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Here's an old thread that might answer some of your questions:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8490

Personally, I've never been able to figure out why some people feel such abject hatred towards Jeff Lynne's production style. It seems like people feel it isn't cool to like ELO anymore, so anything he touches gets slagged off mercilessly. If someone doesn't like an album he produces, no matter who the artist is (even The Beatles, for crying out loud!), Lynne gets the blame. As if the artists themselves didn't want the album to sound that way, but Lynne forced it on them.

I for one still love ELO, and think Jeff Lynne's productions sound just fine.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

i have always loved ELO.....and I don't think the 2 new Beatles songs sound too ELO-ish......if ELO was very Beatle-y, what did you expect those 2 new songs to sound like.....Metallica?????
    His drum sound has improved a lot....they sound great on Devil's Radio....but look who's playing drums! Whatta you expect?

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't listen to ELO myself (so far), but I do think Jeff's style of production is at least interesting. I don't know if I'd want to listen to his stuff alone for a whole day, but I like it.

Regarding the snare sound, I believe I've read somewhere that he mixes a little (white? pink?) noise with the snare sound, run thru a gate. That could be the way he gets that massive sound.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Sync up the hi-hat and acoustic guitar to play the same thing. Remove all the bottom and most of the lower midrange on the vocals. Run through processor. Add a pinch of bass and drums. Allow to dry. Flatten with a rolling pin. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve.

8. stereoptic

thanks for the link to that thread, reechie. I should have done a search first !

9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Id have to agree with Donald on this in that I also can pick out a Jeff Lynne production very often. I love ELO but it does bother me when another artists album has that ELO flavor. I feel like I'm listen to Xanadu.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Like I said in November:

Jeff's production style really hasn't changed since 1974: "Far-mic" the drum kit for that big room sound, and then squash the dynamics. Lots of acoustic guitars, not much bass and then squash the dynamics of THAT. Add some other stuff, like a lot of voices singing harmony along with the lead voice and then give everything a good dose of Universal Audio solid state limiting to make sure.

It's a unique sound, easily identifiable, but it gives me a headache sometimes. The only thing changing in the equation is the lead singer...

Jeff's a great guy, friendly and loves to chat about music.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

This is the sound of a Jeff Lynn record.

Attached Files:

• 1176.jpg
      1176.jpg
      File size:
      11.4 KB
      Views:
  12. stereoptic

Thanks, Steve, and everyone else's input. (he said as he vowed to himself to search first, thread second!)

For the most part, I like the JL sound (with the exception of that Dave Edmunds mess - too much syntesizer. Actually, Dave Edmunds has a distinctive signature also).

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

If the drums sound like an M-80 blowing up in a garbage can, it's a Jeff Lynne production.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Even between Jeff Lynne productions, there is a degree of Lynne-ing that is able to be evaluated. Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever sounds somewhat natural in some ways (how's that for a definitive statement), while the follow-up Into the Great Wide Open might be slightly over-Lynned, in that the percussion and rhythm instruments really don't sound even close to any sort of reality.

I happen to like many of his productions - nothing wrong with the producer imparting a strong sonic fingerprint (like Lynne or Daniel Lanois) as long as the artist knows when that production no longer suits him/her and has run its commerical/artistic course.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

With some producers like Jeff Lynn and Daniel Lanois the producer shares some of the spotlight with the artist. Mutt and Phil Spector are the same way. Some producers like George Martin, Richard Perry and Gus Dudgeon are a little more neutral.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Gus Dudgeon....I love his sound....very under-rated guy

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Usually when Jeff produces another artist, he plays multiple instruments on every track, provides prominent background vocals, and in many cases co-writes the material. Given all that, how could his productions not have that distinctive sound?

pcox80 likes this.
  18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

One of my favorites too.

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Maybe the problem some people have isn't so much with Jeff Lynne himself, but that his trademark drum sound reminds them too much of Bev Bevan?
    :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love non ELO Jeff Lynne-produced records. I just don't like ELO at all- the songs don't do anything for me. Most of the stuff he's produced are the artists' best albums. His production work is very radio friendly.

21. Steve Hoffman

Funny, I CAN'T STAND non-ELO Jeff Lynne produced records.

Why?

I'll tell you:

HE MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE ELO!!!!!!

He makes Tom Petty sound like ELO.
    He makes Roy Orbison sound like ELO.
    He makes George Harrison sound like ELO.
    He makes the friggin' BEATLES sound like ELO on FREE AS A BIRD.

I love ELO but this is crazy!

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :p :laugh:
    Hey boss, let it out. We're here for ya!

I have the same complaints for Lanois and Mutt. Every Mutt Lange record from the 80's and 90's had the same snare drum on it. Drove me nuts!!!!

Nigel Godrich was starting to do the same things over and over. The feedback delay sound was cool until it was over-used. I think he's realized this and is backing off a little now.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Lanois..........everything sounds like it's in a cave!!!! A REAL big cave!

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I liked it for Wrecking Ball and a few others but give it a break already. Even the stuff produced by his engineer, Malcolm Burn, has the same sound to it.

25. Steve Hoffman

Look, I'm not really bitching (well, I am), but every producer has their own sound. Heck, even I have my own sound. But it's never at the expense of the ACTUAL SOUND OF THE GROUP!

I mean, did George Martin have a sound? Yes, but when the group changed, HE changed too.

Think about this. If you hired DICK DALE to produce the next big group. Would you or they be happy if he made all their guitars sound like MISERLOU or something? With big Fender reverb on it? It wouldn't matter who is playing, it would sound like Dick Dale. Heh. No group would stand for that, right? So why would a group stand for having their drummer just sound like ELO or their backing tracks? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME!

Rant, part two over now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.