What Coltrane (John) album are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatnik_Daddyo'73, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified Thread Starter

...the closest thing I’ve had to the proverbial “religious experience” was while listening to John Coltrane. This mans music never fails to move me and in many different ways. I frequently have to pick my jaw up off the floor, wipe a tear or pry a permanent smile off my face.

...so a Coltrane listening thread. Why not?

Today it’s been three of his posthumous albums of 1965 sessions- Transition, Sun Ship and Living Space. I’ve listened to each a few times today. I can’t seem to get enough. I feel like I want to immerse myself.

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

Was just giving this a swing funnily enough — two wildly divergent geniuses jousting and doing a very out-there pas de deux.

So cool that this lost treasure surfaced after so many years.... Now looking forward to the forthcoming Miles/Coltrane European live release.

3. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Agreed! What a great find. I’m looking forward to that Miles Bootleg Series as well. :wiggle:

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

The newest Atlantic mono vinyl reissue of Giant Steps. I dig it.

kt66brooklyn, garrincha, KipB and 5 others like this.
  5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The classic: A Love Supreme. Fascinating upon every listen and rightfully considered one of the best albums of all time :)

bzfgt, KipB, Scope J and 4 others like this.
  6. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Coltrane (the Impulse title). Out Of This World is truly out of this world!

ReadySteady, unclesalty, KipB and 7 others like this.
  7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Live at Birdland, I can never work out how Elvin Jones' drums didn't come right off the stage during Afro Blue.

Greenalishi, razorball, KipB and 5 others like this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Skipping through Live Trane European Tours cd boxset.Impressions and others,Elvin and Tyner really shine as well as Trane.
    Also Sun ship.
    Funny enough Intersteller Space might just be the one that influenced me the most into his music.
    Yep more than Kind Of Blu ray!
    Drinking coffee on the third shift hearing that!

9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Predictable but A Love Supreme is my go to album for Coltrane, however Giant Steps and Coltrane's Sound are never far behind.

However, if I'm looking for a quick spin I love to crank up Teo from the Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come album

Just incase anyone's not aware - the Ashley Kahn book on A Love Supreme is fantastic.....(as is his Kind Of Blue book)

10. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is it highly specialized? I am not a musician, but A Love Supreme fascinates me.

11. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Watched the Netflix documentary last night and started listening to 'Coltrane' and fell asleep in the middle of 'Bakai':rolleyes:
    I have to be honest, I don't think I'm ready yet to 'get' him.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

The Classic Quartet box set. His greatest band, every track in chronological order. A fantastic trip.

Rne and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Can you give more info please?

14. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...just ordered on Amazon. It has great reviews. Some saying that it’s “written In a way that a music fan, not only a musician, can appreciate.”

15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...starting my Tuesday with Kulu Se Mama (more ‘65 sessions).

16. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I got "Coltrane for Lovers" a while back and have really enjoyed it. I think it's a nice variation and brings something a little different.

17. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I listen to a lot of Coltrane all the time, but:

Lately it has been Offering: Live at Temple University (I have to skip the parts with Pharaoh Sanders, not a fan)

The afore-mentioned Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (finally bit the bullet and bought an out-of-print all analog Mosaic copy) and there is no question this one is one of the best performances in either musician's catalog. Just breathtaking. My two favorite jazz artists at the top of their game -- together.

And Coltrane Jazz on Atlantic, because I just received a nice reissue of this from my wife for my birthday. Been listening to all three, especially the latter two, a LOT the last couple weeks.

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not at all....there is a little when discussing how specific tunes were formed, but it has been kept to a minimum

I did buy a Charlie Parker book once and couldnt understand a thing....it was way too technical.

The book gives an oversight to Coltranes life and music using A Love Supreme as the focal pivot. Some great pictures and contributions from all key characters including a foreward from Elvin
    Jones.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Discovered one recently called Coltrane’s Sound, which has one of my favorite studio cuts of his, “Equinox”. Looking to find a copy on vinyl, has a crazy-looking cover too!

Also I keep going back to a cut on one of the boxed sets, a great dreamy song called “Wise One”.

20. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

Ashley Kahn's The House That Trane is a great book too!!

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Africa Brass is usually my go to Coltrane record, but I love most everything including Om his the other later period free jazz stuff.

bzfgt, PonceDeLeroy, AJK74 and 4 others like this.
  22. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Wise One is from the album, Crescent.

I would recommend this album to any music fan, it was overshadowed by A Love Supreme (released the same year) but for my money, it's just as good, the 'calm before the storm' you could say.

[​IMG]

23. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

After seeing his documentary on Netflix Chasing Trane which was excellent i put on Ballads, simply mesmerizing.

24. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I vouch for that, Crescent is in fact one of my top 3 JC albums

eyeCalypso likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Listened to a bit of Meditations this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.