What commercials grind your gears?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by throbbin tower, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, reading Arron's post, I am now reminded of ads that I can't stand: political ads. And, many of them do incite fear in the elderly. After all, they watch the most TV.

Also: companies that use offensive famous spokespersons to sell their products. Don't these companies realize that they are turning off half of their potential customers by choosing such people? You'd think they'd pick the least controversial people to represent them.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, they're cute enough to make me want to puke.

Up here there's another ad in circulation, for adult Depends for he-men.

Generally I despise most ads for their duplicity.

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

In particular

Re : automobiles, trucks & recreational vehicles - I very occasionally get turned on to some new music by those ads :)

4. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Jimmy Fallon, Henry Winkler, Alex Trebek and Adrien Brody have only placed their pimp's products and services on my boycott list.
    Special circumstances excuse Willie Nelson, and truthfully, I'll buy what Willie's selling.

What I wouldn't give to see normal people speaking normally about the actual merits of a product.

5. aaronfirebrand

I like it! Reminded me at first of Betty Boop. :laugh:

MikaelaArsenault and John B Good like this.
  6. aaronfirebrand

That's one I don't mind, because I can close my eyes and listen to the Allman Brothers. :righton:

MikaelaArsenault and Parvati like this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

They're ALL effin' terrible.

8. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

The Crest ad that begins “He could be the one: soul mate, husband, loving father to your children…but first you’ve got to get him to say hello.” And, of course, you accomplish that by using Crest. Dang! Remember when toothpaste ads just promised a nice smile? Now they're promising to help women snag a husband.

The internet dating commercials have a similar vibe, focusing on all their users who have gotten married, instead of just saying this is a way for people of similar interests or beliefs to meet each other. I really think they're playing on people's emotions and creating some pretty high expectations.

9. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Progressive Insurance ads are lamer than lame. Geico is getting just a bad now.

10. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident Thread Starter

And the couples depicted are gorgeous people...I get it, they want good looking folks, but talk about high expectations!

MikaelaArsenault and PennyLanes like this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I know exactly what he's talking about (except for the 'politics' thing). Cold medication commercials are the worse. The guy is always a bumbling idiot who couldn't tie his own shoes, let alone be responsible enough to take cold medicine. He's a big baby who can't function without his sarcastic wife to medicate him.

It's the same thing for many frozen food type items. Like a guy can't figure out how to use a microwave or make macaroni and cheese but his smartass wife knows everything and jams the box into his belly as she walks away rolling her eyes.

(This isn't meant to be a slam against women or wives. I love them. It's a slam about how men are depicted as brainless and helpless in so many commercials.)

I have to admit that I like many of the insurance commercials. You wouldn't think they could make an advertisement about insurance be interesting or fun... but they do.

And I don't mind the 'erectile' commercials that much except (of course) all the guys look like male models and their 50+ something wives could pass for 30.

12. Grant

Yeah? Well Pat Boone, Alan Cranston, Glenn Beck, and others of that ilk have made me boycott the services they pimp.

13. Grant

What happened to Geico's commercials? Did they change ad agencies? They used to have the best in the business!

14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I really dislike the commercial for that little earwax removal machine where the guy sticks a Q-Tip in his ear and yells, "OOOOWWWW!!!!" It's basically a mini infommercial, and almost all of those make people look like bumbling fools while either cleaning their ears, looking for a flashlight, organizing their closet, etc. I usually change the channel, because even pressing "mute" isn't good enough.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Basically they could sum up all the side effects with one simple line....."Taking this drug could kill you."

16. throbbin tower

"If you have suicidal thoughts or actions, stop taking Chantix"....well, if you are successful in your suicidal "action", I can pretty much guarantee you'll stop taking Chantix...:shrug:

17. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

The way that guy yells OWWWWW cracks me up every freakin' time. It's as if he rammed the whole Q-Tip completely into his skull, because that happens all the time.

18. throbbin tower

As a long time bald guy, I don't care for "hair club" ads....my hair began falling out when I was 19 or 20, and I've never needed any drugs,plugs, or rugs!:rant:

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Did you know that cable companies have their own "local spot breaks"? I tend to keep a particular cable news station on in the background, and every parade of commercials is bound to finish out with 2 lawyer ads trolling for class action claimants, as well as the baby food company who's going into the banking business. That's the one with the parents sitting around talking about starting their savings plan, and it's shot in this murky, over-sepia-toned haze.

As usual for a guy who's been playing commercials for a living, what makes my blood boil isn't really the content of the commercial...it's when the client never changes it, month-in and month-out. I just want to wring these guys' necks, for putting schlock on our signals that seems guaranteed to get audience tune-out.

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Mediaeval Baebes - Temptaysion

20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Exactly!!!! It makes me laugh, and I make fun of it, but those kinds of commercials makes it seem like we're all idiots!

MikaelaArsenault and sewerdog like this.
  21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Many should tell the public that most of these "treatments" need to be redone in a few years. You drop a bundle for some hair and have to get it done.....AGAIN.

Everybody is has vanity. BUT.....when my hair is gone, it is GONE. By going to class reunions, I've seen what some have done to freeze time. Some are quite amusing.

The commercial(s) that get me - the current Cox Communications. The main "character" has me hitting the mute or just changing the channel.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. throbbin tower

Ugh...the ambulance chaser ads :thumbsdow...we have one locally: "The law offices of Joe Bornstein"...these two insurance weasles are denying a persons claim, until the off-camera person shows them a card...."you hired the law offices of Joe Bornstein????" they ask in horror as this ominous sound effect comes in. Then, of course, they pay out whatever the guy wants....:disgust:

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We actually have that same commercial for another law firm here.

More disturbing, there's a law firm who's been using Napoleon Solo as a spokesperson for the past two decades. That's right, the Man From U.N.C.L.E, Robert Vaughn, apparently has the gravitas to shill for lawyers, despite your
    natural inclination to think, "since when has a federal spy ever needed a lawyer"...

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Joe Jackson Band - Love At First Light

24. throbbin tower

Yup..Vaughn is used in these ads too...."tell'em you mean business"....

25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Overall, I hate ALL the attorney's commercials. Just a bunch of ambulance chasers. They have one here that used to have the phrase "One Call And That's All". TOTAL BS. Unless he's in line for a windfall, his firm won't give you the time of day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.