What commercials grind your gears?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by throbbin tower, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And why does his voice sound like Jack Black, and the song sounds like a Tenacious D song?

alchemy likes this.
  2. I was having the same problem, and after I called TWC several days in a row, they sent a guy out for service. I ended up with a new cable box with a DVR, which I didn't have before, a new modem in the home office which significantly improved the computer's response time, and they tweaked my plan so I'm paying less than I was before. I'm a happy Time Warner camper, at least until something else happens.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There's a commercial for one of those Hair Club hair restoration companies where this woman says:

"Do you know how wonderful it is to have someone come up to you and say 'My GOD your hair is beautiful' and I say THANK YOU!".

Fo some reason the way she says it really annoys me.

Ah, I found it! 1:16 in:

4. There's some snake oil product for weight loss called Lipozene. According to the commercial, Lipozene really works, "and to prove it, we conducted our very own clinical study". Gee, I wonder what they found.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Cathy Mitchell, the author of Dump Cakes, Dump Dinners and Crock Pot Dump Meals. She and her grinning co-host on her infomercials get on my last nerve. Every bite her cohort takes of her gross looking vittles sends him to instant bliss like Snuffles from the old Quick Draw McGraw cartoons.

[​IMG]

Oddly, my husband is fascinated with infomercials like these and for the various cooking appliances "as seen on TV". When the Dump Lady infomercials come on, I always say, "Why, your family will actually believe you just took a dump on the dinner table!"

6. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

She also heartily endorses that new product - "Popeil Paper Bag Over Your Head".

7. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

The sheer number of commercials has become daunting, especially on cable channels. I was trying to watch a movie on Logo and noticed the running time of the 85-minute comedy was an inexplicable 3 HOURS...for every minute of program, there was equal time for advertising.

Further, literally every other spot was for one of Absolut's many vodka flavors. One of these spots was followed by my current entry in the "most annoying" category, Passages of Malibu, where you can just stop being an addict or alcoholic via a 6-week program of shiatsu massage, yoga, and smoothies that probably taste like Absolut's new passion fruit infused vodka.

I found the movie via a streaming service instead.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Too many bloody infomercials, wish the Master Control computer hard drive would crash during "Passages Of Malibu" and Cable TV commercials are so bloody annoying we need some cart machines in the mood for a digital tape snack and a good jam. I'd like to see some commercials get eaten. Sony DigiBetas need their snack.

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

10. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Late night lawyers chasing the latest ambulance.

jerol

11. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

them stupid chevy commercials....the guy is annoying as hell

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

This. The "funny" music doesn't do it for me, either.

13. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It's annoying that they completely re-shot the "Wash it?" commercial with better looking, ie. less interesting, actors. Except the girl that comes over isn't as cute in the new version as the first one.
    I guess focus groups found that Mom's weren't identifying with having a tall, gangly and awkward redhead son with a stinky room, and responded better to a cuter boy with less personality.
    And maybe they found the cute girl in the first version made it seem like there was some hanky panky going on.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

That Snyder's pretzel lady really bugs me.
    She doesn't blink! She just stares deeply into your soul. I find it disturbing.

15. PlushFieldHarpy

She's scary. Just what demographic is THAT supposed to appeal to, I wonder?

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Any commercial that uses "cute" kids with a lisp or speech impediment.

17. PlushFieldHarpy

Speaking of re-tailored commercials: I noticed the Tena commercial that tells middle aged women to "be the one with the crazy laugh", which showed a woman laughing maniacally in a theater with people around her giving her strange looks, was later edited so the craziness of the laugh was tamed down to a much more tasteful and graceful level. Not that the first one didn't already endorse rude behavior to thousands who were already prone to it.

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

She does blink - but only once, and only one eye. :bone:

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  19. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

The Taco Bell bacon sandwich commercial that used a version of song "Mad world" playing over a shopping mall sequence. I love the song but the context? It really cheapens it...but good to know the song is really about eating bacon.
    Also any so called "ambulance chaser" commercials.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  20. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Maybe the pretzel lady is related to the log lady

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  21. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

So she winks at me. Great. What do you want from me evil lady?

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Boy, that's a weird way to promote a snack food! :help:

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha - you put it better than I did in the post right above this one! :D

I think advertisers believe that "weird is good" - even if there's no natural connection to the product, as long as it sticks with you, that's all that matters to them...

24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Not TV commercial but one of the local radio stations here is running one of those "If you owe at least $10,000 to the IRS "commercials saying that they can reduce your tax penalty and .....(quote) "give you the fresh start that you deserve!"

Hey Deadbeat! You didn't pay your taxes ! You don't deserve #$%@!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. I suspect the ad is aimed at the stoner/stoned crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.