What commercials grind your gears?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by throbbin tower, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

O/T and I'm no celebrity or expert but reverse mortgages are clever and can do good. Still I smell the next "what were the banks thinking" post-financial crisis outrage in a few years.

I get most of my news from NPR, but make sure get in some fair and balanced coverage to keep me regular. Plus, it makes Daily Show/Colbert funnier.

I still want one.

I do. Also, for other personal grooming I employ folks from these ads:

http://youtu.be/vBNcQgkXEWE

They're glad I make an effort to stay "regular."

ITT is a mixed bag. They've been around for ages, had multiple owners and not a few federal scandals that have threatened accreditation. (I used to be in that industry.) That said, they're a half step up from the many diploma mills that now have business models based on Pell grants and student's getting roped into spiraling debt.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't want to offend you, but it sounds to me like you have a problem with women. And, the fact that you mentioned "white men" says even more.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

If I wasn't white and made a comment the other way around would you still have a problem with it? It is possible to discuss issues of race objectively.

And as to me having a problem with women, I have zero problems with women as long as they're treated equally to men and vice versa. From what I've observed in commercials, that doesn't seem to be the case. I didn't make a sweeping generalization about any ethnic group or men vs women. I simply commented on how I thought white men were portrayed in adverts. It's not like I came out and said one group was superior to another.

What is wrong with our society? Are we so politically correct that any time someone makes an observation or comment on anything race or gender related that he's automatically deemed a sexist or racist?

I should add that I'm not trying to offend anyone; I was simply stating an opinion/observation about commercials.

4. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident Thread Starter

They sure killed those guys off with that attempted ill advised sitcom!
    Perhaps we can have a Flo show...."Flo knows best", "Here's Flo!", "I love Flo", etc. etc.

5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

+1

6. Grant

They tried to revive the caveman commercials afterward with different actors but it just wasn't the same.

MikaelaArsenault and xilef regnu like this.
  7. Grant

yes, I would still have a problem with it. Sometimes Black people go overboard too, like when KFC or Wendy's recently did a commercial about a chicken product using a famous singer - I don't remember who - and then she changed her mind because of some overreaction. I mean, Black people do eat fried chicken. I think we are at the point where we can stop fighting some of the ignorant stereotypes perpetrated by the bigots.

And, again, why is it only white men? Your words, not mine.

Your words just suggested a certain mindset that caused me to question exactly what you meant. If you don't have a problem with expressing your viewpoint, you will say exactly what you mean.

8. marblesmike

I don't know why it's white men, I've just noticed it. I don't want this thread to go in the wrong direction. It was just an observation.

9. Grant

It's because you're sensitive to it for some reason. You probably never noticed that all but maybe one of those Progressive commercials have Black people in it, at least in my area.

10. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I just remembered a recent one that bugged me - another one of those damn eTrade Baby commercials, which are annoying enough on their own, but in this particular one the baby was being held in one of those "baby backpack" type deals while his mom was frantically searching for some papers. The baby gives some spiel about eTrade, and then is interrupted and gets a look of shock on his face when his mom opens a drawer. The baby then says something like, "Hey, is that my gerbil? You said he went to live on the farm!"

Okay, sooooo... why the hell is this woman keeping a presumably dead gerbil inside a drawer in their kitchen!? (I haven't seen this one in a month or so though, maybe someone else noticed it was kinda weird, heh.)

11. marblesmike

I guess Progressive's target audience doesn't include blacks for whatever reason.

12. marblesmike

Maybe it was a living gerbil that she kept for a politically incorrect reason.

13. Grant

Sure, it does. But, you have to remember that the ad agencies have their own little issues. They try to be much mores sensitive to women, as women are gaining an economical footing with men in many ways. But, race? There's still a lot of work to do.

14. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Really? I don't get that from Marblesmike's post at all. Beyond "sounds to me like," please explain how you get this from his post.

15. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Are you sure? I find them more insulting now than ever before, but maybe that's because I've become more sensitive to such B.S. propaganda.

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

+1000 Fugly is being kind, too.

MikaelaArsenault and sewerdog like this.
  17. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

One ad campaign that was MIA here for a while is back, the Trojan "massage" doodads. Those absurd "hair blown back" spots.
    Elvis had the right approach, re: TV.

I used to wonder why McDonald's advertised so much. I mean, are people going to suddenly forget them?
    Then I realized that it's just perpetual branding, drilling it into the subconscious.

I don't think I've ever purchased anything as a result of a commercial. To me, they're all insulting. Like they're telling me I'm too stupid to know what I need or want, I'm too dumb to figure out how to shop for myself.
    I know why ads exist, I know they're effective, they just don't work on me. Most of what I use isn't advertised on TV.
    And as soon as a product that I do use is promoted on television, I start to look for an alternative. Why would I pay for the advertising?

MikaelaArsenault and marblesmike like this.
  18. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

What about the mop falling on love in the Swifer ads?

19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Car ads that boast about "fuel economy" and the company caring about "the environment" when the damned product for sale BURNS GASOLINE. :confused:

20. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the model they use for those beyond repellant Progressive ads. Madge vs Flo.

21. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Its My Money and I Need It Now.
    They all need to be spanked..... hard

22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

That commercial has one with facial contortions so bad, it looks like he's having a stroke, either that or VERY constipated.

23. Grant

Yeah, and ruining the Isley Brother's song!:realmad:

24. Grant

Doesn't bother me. Cars are more fuel efficient today and people have to drive. Ekectric cars are still too expensive for most people to afford. You try commuting to work for 20 miles each way on a bicycle.

25. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is how ads with cute cartoon characters should be done. :laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.