What direct drive TTs accept 12" arm?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ro7939, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ro7939

ro7939 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I owned many high performance DD and belt drive TTs.

What makes/models high performance DD TTs are suitable for 12" arm?

If no such TT fits above application, what makes/models do you suggest to modify for 12" arm?

A Technics 1200 pro technician said someone once offered a 12" suitable arm board for this TT (the board possibly fastened to hinge bracket for lid).

Decades ago I purchased new Denon DP-59L, .006% W&F, servo tracer tonearm, -82 dB rumble (minimum use). I consider replacing the OEM arm w/12" arm. What is formula to calculate minimum distance from spindle center required for 12" arm?

Pre or post-mods/upgrades, I prefer TT perform well enough to justify eventual use of $4k SME 312S or equivalent quality arm with removable head shell or changeable wand.

Long search for this information was negative. I'm surprised how unpopular is the idea of mounting a good 12" tonearm on a high performance DD TT.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You are going about this the wrong way, IMO. It seems that you are just basing the ides of a 12" arm and a DD table on some sort of ideals. There are too many other variables overlooked. Yeah, you could put together a nice DD/12" table but it wouldn't necessarily be any better than many other belt-driven, 9" designs. There are a lot of other design aspects and quality of other parts to be concerned with instead of just focusing on one drive type with a limited number of alternatives and the length of an arm tube. I believe the reason that you can't find much info on such a combo is that it really isn't the best bang for buck set-up and those looking for the best playback have found that with belt drive and for the majority, 9" arms. You can up the budget and go with a 12" arm on many belt drive tables, so that still leaves the DD options few and far between when looking at other aspects of quality.

If you must find a table for a 12" arm, then the way to do that is to look at the arms first. These will list the mounting distance on their spec sheets. For instance, the SME 312s lists its pivot to spindle distance as: "Distance from pivot to turntable centre 295.60mm". So you then can look at turntables and see if they have the required distance available on their surface as well as having a suitable mounting surface within that region. Denon made some tables that could be utilized as well as the Technics SP-10. These motors can be mounted on custom plinths to accommodate longer arms. There are probably also a lot of old US, UK, and German transcription tables that would also work. The trouble becomes that the cost of these parts might result in an end product no better than what can be readily purchased in a belt-driven, 9" format when considering only sonic performance. Ease of use and serviceability, and warranty are other considerations that make the readily available new options more appealing for most users than purely more adventurous ideas.
    -Bill

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

It's possible to adapt, one way or another, nearly any turntable to accept a 12" arm. I build custom turntables for clients all over the world, have much experience in doing so and am happy to help you in any way that I can. It would, indeed, be an enjoyable project to mount a 12" arm on a Technics 1200 series table. The most common combination of a direct drive turntable paired with a 12" arm is probably the Technics SP10 or SP15 in a custom plinth. Another option to explore would be an idler driver such as Lenco, Garrard, Thorens, Rek-O-Kut, Fairchild, etc.

missan likes this.
  4. missan

missan Forum Resident

I would not call the idea unpopular per se, just that it´s not very common for technical reasons. It takes a bit of knowledge and experience to fit a 12" to a 1200II, that is the challenge, not that it wouldn´t be good. I´m very sure it could be very good.

The Seeker likes this.
  5. The Seeker

This has piqued my interested. I'm tempted to make one just because I want to see it, hear it, and photograph it!

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

7. The Seeker

Here's an old commercial for the Kuzma Stogi S12VTA tonearm detailing assembly and operation procedures:

:laughup::biglaugh:

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The VPI direct drive turntable comes stock with a 12" 3D printed arm. :D

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  9. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

10. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

All depends on how much $$ you want to spend.
    Wave Kenetics NVS ref table
    50k for table, 15k for each tonearm or bring your own

[​IMG]

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

or a JVC or Denon vintage DD motor in a steel plinth with tonearm pods.

[​IMG]

OcdMan likes this.
  12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Was going to suggest yesterday, but couldn't remember model numbers enough to even Google them. I was really surprised that Technics' (expensive) rebirth into audio (http://www.technics.com/us/products/r1/su-r1.html#features) is completely digital, with no chance to even add a turntable. Considering that they're playing at the high end, I think it be cool if they re-released the SP10/15, made available a drop-in plinth in your choice of exotic veneers, and then 3 or 4 armboards to allow various well-respected 9-12" arms.

OcdMan and The Seeker like this.
  14. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

magnetic drive Brinkmann Bardo supports 12" tonearms.

missan likes this.
  15. The Seeker

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Technics SP-10, SP-10 Mk II, SP-15, and SP-25 can accept 12" tonearms, have plinth choices, and can even handle multiple tonearms. I use the SP-25 with an Audio-Technica ATP 16-T as one of my options. It's reliable, durable, low maintenance, performs great. Why not? There is an armless Denon model, the DP-75 and a few other Denons which can be replinthed and do the same, also, there is a Micro-Seiki which can added to that a JVC manual deck which can be used as a separate armless turntable. There's you some options for attainable money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.