What do audiophiles mean when they talk about Pace, Rhythm & Timing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gretsch6136, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

We do know that nearly every component
    in some way will alter the sound.

Randoms and Gary like this.
  2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

:wiggle:If you find yourself tapping your foot to the music, the system has good PRaT :hide:

cmcintyre and ZenMango like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I don't mean that. But something is seriously wrong if the pace or timing changes--could be a bad turntable belt/motor or CD motor. I'm thinking in musician's terms, not some abstract audio definition.

Robert C and Gary like this.
  4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

My Ford Transit van FM radio must be NAIM-quality

Robert C, Scott222C and Gary like this.
  5. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Wow..really? Best reproduction of acoustic or electric bass I've heard has been from planars. Not talking crank it up or flap your pant legs bass, just nod your head, tap your foot emotional connection bass.

6. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Ok. Thanks for enlightening me...:faint:

7. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

@missan beat me to it, but, to some degree, every piece of equipment alters the sound.

Good to see that this is as controversial, as it was 40 odd years ago!

If we did have a system that was 100% accurate, it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority, didn't like it. In demonstrations, not everyone enjoys the extra dynamics, detail and extra, tighter, bass extension of an active system, some prefer the "warmth", of the ill-defined, less tuneful bass

If you threw away every piece of equipment, that altered the sound, excepting the over supply that got dumped in the sea, all those years ago, we would quickly fill those land fill sites! What a waste of all those slightly different "sounding" valves.....

I can't answer what happens in a Hi-Fi demonstration these days, but 20-30 years ago, 100s of demonstrations were taking place daily, where the ability of a component, to mess up the musical performance, were being heard, to lesser or greater degrees.

As for Pace, Rhythm & Timing, even in one manufacturer's range, small differences can be heard. It is very much up to individual, how important this is, but certainly helps explain, people's widely differing preferences.

I'll retreat now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

If you're tapping your foot to Morton Feldman's Patterns in a Chromatic Field then there is something very seriously wrong with either your audio gear or your hearing. :waiting:

cmcintyre and royzak2000 like this.
  9. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

re. the previous post:

10. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Perhaps it has better PRaT than some very expensive systems?

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not in terms of speed.

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I want a pair of magical speakers that produces sound waves in the same manner as a whole ensemble instruments into free air.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not in terms of speakers that are "trying" (key word here) to produce bass of a real instrument into free air.

14. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

In order not to allow me using the expression "monkey talk", please just name one bass player using a planar speaker to record his instrument.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

True, however, many microphones do use Mylar diaphragms.

I'm not saying planars are superior, just that they produce bass in a different way, whether it's more or less accurate compared to the original recording....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. G E

G E Senior Member

This nails it.

If you also play air guitar and drums you have PRaT in spades.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  17. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

So PRaT is a function of the type of music you listen to. I don't get PRaT out of my gear because I listen to string quartets and Bach cantatas?

Robert C likes this.
  18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

This is about his most rhythmic piece, based on the heartbeat and breath. Their is not much haze in this, get stoned and move your feet to your heart. Breath slowly and get lost.

andolink likes this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The leading edge of a note, plus the decay is the most important parts of string quartet playing, it is stripped bare in recordings with just four instruments, a bigger reason for good PrAT I can not think of.

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Everyone knows that fast running turntables have the best PR&T !
    But seriously there do seem to be certain components in the "chain" that are better at keeping up with the timing of the music than others- all else being equal. IMHO it has to do with that instant, abrupt, split second burst of a note or transient that when effectively reproduced sounds more like live music or live sound. The component's contribution sounds more "lively".
    Everything in the chain, from recording to source to amplification to speaker to listening environment can have an impact on this quality.

royzak2000 likes this.
  21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm with the OP. Pace and rhythm are elements of musical performance. Electronic equipment doesn't have those characteristics. Any reviewer who ascribes pace and rhythm to a piece of audio gear is anthropomorphizing the gear, and falling into a cliched, not terribly descriptive short-hand.

If Joe Schmoe is assigned to review a piece of gear and when he listens to one piece of gear he finds himself tapping his toes more than when he listens to the same recording with another piece of gear, for us to know if that has to do with anything other than the mood of the reviewer at the moment, he really needs explore why -- what is it that X is doing that Y is not that results in that musical experience -- is it a different handling of transients? A lower noise floor? Less (or more) overhanging or ringing at one frequency or another? Tell me something useful about what the gear actually does and can do, not whether or not you tapped your toes. The cause of that could have been anything -- your mood, the drink in your had, that you have the volume a little louder than before.

Stuff like PRaT -- the ease with which reviewers fall back on these kinds of audiophile cliches and the focus on their own emotional listening reflexes vs. actually examining what the gear is doing -- is what led me to stop reading audio reviews all together years ago.

Timing -- audio gear has timing -- whether its phono carts or speakers or electronics, you can look at response rates and decay rates and phase coherence and these kinds of things that are matters of timing -- how fast something responds to the signal, how coherently the different parts of the system respond to the signal. But don't think when audio reviewers fall back on the notion of PRaT, they're usually talking about these characteristics. And if they are, they should just tell us that. That we can understand with specificity. Toe-tappingness, which seems to be the only definition of PRaT, is in the mind of the behearer. It's not a characteristic of the gear. And it may be an experience one person has with X piece of gear that another person doesn't.

22. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I think you're doing a handstand, it's the equipment which convey what the musicians are doing, some people would say it's got PRAT

royzak2000 likes this.
  23. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I don't believes so, if the bass player his doing complex and fast playing the amp has to be able to cope with fast transients. Plug in a very good sub and you should hear it no problem.

Helom likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

P,R,A, and T is musicality instead of detail extremes. To sum it up simply. I prefer musicality to detail extremes.

Randoms and royzak2000 like this.
  25. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

The term "musicality" used as a characteristic of audio gear is even way more ridiculous than PRaT, IMHO.

If anything, musicality is a characteristic of a highly talented musician performing with heart and soul and has nothing to do with electronic hardware whatsoever.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.