What do you all think of this audio rack? / Audio rack ideas under $125?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troxell, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troxell

Troxell New Member Thread Starter

I am currently out of work and feeling like I am frankensteining my system at this point. Just trying to piece together my system as money comes in. First off, I need an audio rack whose width is 20" max and need to spend less than $125.

Could I trust this system to hold my gear? Does it look like it will have enough airflow? Currently the heaviest thing item is my turntable is at a mere 13 lbs which would would sit on top. Well that is until I service a Pilot 746 receiver (at 40 lbs?) which would sit on the bottom.

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Did you mean to include a link to the rack in question?

3. Troxell

4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I had one similar to that for a while and it was alright. Mine was actually more closed in (and had a glass door) and really didn't allow the components to breath. But it was plenty sturdy. This one looks like it would allow much better air flow and I think it would be fine.

5. Troxell

Thank you, Digital-G!

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If you're even a little bit 'handy,' you can make your own rack for around $100 or even less:

The TNT FleXy Table »

patient_ot, Electric and timind like this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You can always get one of those TV/VCR tall racks with glass doors from thrift shops and add extra shelves inside. Look nice and protect your gear. I have one I bought new back in the day and managed to cram 5 components (Receiver on top, CD player and 3 different signal processors inside) The TT can go next to it on a wall-mounted shelf, which will not only show it off but isolate it from vibrations.

arglebargle likes this.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

I used to own this exact piece of furniture. It's fine and par for the course: as flat packed furniture that assembles in minutes, it's about what you'd expect. Wasn't as sturdy as I would've liked on my springy floors. Came with some cheesy nail-in plastic feet that you can use if you don't want the rollers. Personally, I think you could do better used. I ended up replacing mine with the type of TV/VCR rack Waxfreak mentions. $20 on the local Craigslist, built in the eighties with a smoked glass door that I removed, and much sturdier.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. arglebargle

It did look as advertised and fit in with the clean lines of the rest of my furniture, midcentury modern type stuff. I still use it in my studio room with a mini system. I have a 25 lb amp on the middle shelf with no problem.

10. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    chili555 and arglebargle like this.
  11. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I'd second the idea of looking on Craiglist for s used rack. There are some nice ones for very little money. People are absndoning component systems. That said, the one you link to would be perfectly ok!

patient_ot likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

These flexi racks are very easy to build, and can be pretty cheap. I've built a few of them for myself and daughters before they went off to college. What's nice about them is the ease at which you can adjust shelf height.

Manimal and action pact like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

From your link...
    "3 threaded steel bars, 1 meter long and with 18 mm of diameter. Cost: 3$ each."

Where did you buy yours? :)

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Where did you buy the threaded steel bars? :)

15. arglebargle

If I were in the states that's exactly what I would be doing, watching my inbox for Audio Advisor deals. They have had some nice audiophile quality stuff deeply discounted lately.

timztunz likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wow, if I needed a rack I'd be all over this. I have a three legged stand and only once have I come close to tipping it. Lesson learned without mishap.

timztunz likes this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Lowes. You can get all of the hardware there and they even cut the boards for me. All I had to do was drill holes and paint.

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

What I did for an audio rack (a friend of mine had made one this way) is to use cinderblocks and particleboard. Put two cinderblocks on the floor, then the particleboard on top of them, and then put two more cinderblocks on top of the particleboard over the first two cinderblocks until you had as many levels that you need. It had the following advantages:
    • Cost: You can build a rack for less than $40 dollars (a few bucks more if you want to paint it, see below) with supplies that can be purchased at any garden store and lumber yard.
    • Stability: Due to its weight the rack was extremely stable. It would become even more stable as the cinderblocks slightly crushed the particleboard they sit on. The weight of the components of the rack holds it together without the need for screws, glue, or other fasteners.
    • Size: Even with five levels (with slots for four components), the rack would only be 25 inches tall, and the rack would be 28" wide with slots for components that are 20" wide.
    • Customizability: By cutting the boards to the right size and selecting the right type of cinderblocks you can make a rack with open slots that are the perfect size for each of your audio components. I used cinderblocks that were 4" x 4" x 12" so I got 1" above each component for air circulation and it could hold components were up to 12" deep. It is also easy to change as needed and new parts could be purchased at any garden store and lumber yard.
    • Appearance: While I liked the look of plain particleboard and cinderblocks, you can easily paint them to whatever color you want (my friend painted his rack jet black with spray paint and it looked excellent).

19. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

I see cheap racks similar to the original you posted on almost every trip to local goodwill for 10 to 20 bucks. Sometimes they may have the smoked glass doors on the front. There are millions of these out there.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thank you. :edthumbs:

21. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

Another DIY option is to make an Ikea Lack Table stack, like this
    IKEA Lack : Audiophile Rack - IKEA Hackers »
    [​IMG]

I made two of them and they worked great. I spaced the shelves farther apart than the one in the pic above for airflow reasons.

panasoffkee and timind like this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The amp is yelling it wants to breathe !!!:yikes:

patient_ot likes this.
  23. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

Yes it is.
    I don't have a very good pic of the one I built but I left 4 inches above my power amp and 2 inches above the other components.

2channelforever and The Pinhead like this.
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Don't really need it, but ordered one of these last night. My rack is a little too small for my needs and this looks nice for the $$.

DonnyMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.