What do you do with the "unlistenable"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a thought; i was wondering what you do with your LPs or cds that have horrible SQ and just make you despair when you listen to them. For example, i hate the sound of my remaster of a night at the opera by queen. It sounds so bad i hate playing it. The same with The man who sold the world reissue, simply terrible. Do you keep them, or do you bin them. Many cds suffer from bad poor mastering, the last Stones blues album is just tooo loud!!

2. Ben77

Ben77 Forum Resident

If I like the album I usually keep an eye out for a better version, and hopefully replace it. What to do with the old one, it depends. If it's in good condition I'll sell it (usually in a lot with other stuff) but if the SQ was bad because the LP was in terrible condition, I'll usually trash it.

I picked up a "Sticky Fingers" from the dollar bin with an excellent cover but unfortunately found it was too warped to play when I got it home. Recently I found a nice copy with a trashed cover (someone yanked too hard on the zipper :D) so I swapped out the LP's and trashed the warped one. I also picked up Weather Report "Mysterious Traveller" and found although the LP is in great shape it does not sound good to my ears. I realized after I bought it, it's a European pressing so I'll probably keep an eye out for a US copy which hopefully will sound better. Then I'd sell the Euro one.

Sneaky Pete and Fishoutofwater like this.
  3. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, i was not very clear, i was thinking of new albums and/or new reissues. Sorry again

4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Perhaps the proper combination of new signal, speaker, and power cables will improve things tremendously?

For example if before things sounded "thin" then adding cables that make things sound "bloated" would even things out perfectly - not?

And if the sound stage is way too wide open, then cables that compresse it might help - perhaps?

If there's not enough upper bass then "boomy" cables should set things straight - for sure?

Think about it. Just about any sound quality, good or bad, has been attributed to cables, so by taking the characteristics of those recordings that you don't like, and pairing them to known "anti-characteristics" of a given cable, or cables, then you should be able to get the final sound just right.

Just make sure to jot down the perfect cable set up for every recording - after you've found it.

Of course swapping cables to match each individual recording might become a bit onerous over time, but if you're not willing to put that kind of effort into this hobby, err obsession, then you need to find another.

:)

Jeff

5. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Delete them from the hard drive/play list. There’s too much other music that needs to be listened to

enfield, Higlander, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  6. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

trade-ins at the record store, of course.

Brother_Rael, Kyhl, eric777 and 3 others like this.
  7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Assuming that the record or CD isn't damaged or defective (and that the bad sound quality is part of the recording itself), I would list it for sale on Discogs... usually at a low-enough price that guarantees a sale. The way I see it, if the buyer is specifically looking for that version of the release and I can give it them at a good price, then we're both happy.

Brother_Rael, Kyhl and Fishoutofwater like this.
  8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

If hopeless, I ditch them -- selling if possible. If they have redeeming qualities, I turn on the tone controls in my preamp and EQ away. Sometimes that's all it takes to make the unlistenable become listenable.

If you have many of these, you might give the Schiit Loki a try. From all reports, it's pretty transparent and pretty effective.

luckyno13 likes this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'll tag the album with something derogatory. Once purchased and ripped I'm very unlikely to delete it from my library. But I will give it derogatory tags and nasty comments in the notes field.

Kyhl, tim185 and Kristofa like this.
  10. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

I buy a lot of used LP's (therefore cheap) and any in poor enough condition or are not to my liking, I leave next to my door. When there gets to be a few, I place them near one of my building's refuse containers. Someone always snaps them up.

jupiterboy likes this.
  11. macster

macster Forum Resident

In the past I just kept them. But now, nothing that I have is unlistenable in my system. I do listen to a lot more than others though. If I see something that I don't have which is in horrible condition, I bring it home clean it, play and put it away.

M~

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd just ditch them at a used record store or at the Salvation Army. Either way, it'd be best for them to serve somebody else as opposed to contributing to the existing pollution.

nosliw likes this.
  13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Most of the unlistenable recordings I have these days are caused by too loud mastering!

So I just turn them down and listen quietly while looking around for better issues. Or waiting for AF to come out with a remastered version. ;-)

vwestlife likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

fortunately i have managed to revise my system over the years to be very friendly to the bad recordings. i really can't think of a single CD, LP or digital file that I would not enjoy listening to because of its recording quality.
    Bad or worn vinyl is another matter and I usually replace them with new vinyl or digital wherever possible.

macster likes this.
  15. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Owning a dbx 3BX III makes finding the sweet spot in any mastering possible. That said, i have let go of a handful of CDs that were just unredeemable then and unmemorable now.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  16. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I recently got rid of almost all of my slightly warped records and replaced them on discogs. It's liberating. Otherwise, they'll just sit there and piss you off. The harder question is, what about when replacing it the record is cost prohibitive (a first U.S. pressing of "The Sex Pistols," for instance, which sounds like crap)?

17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm not a completist. If your eye offends thee, then cast it out!

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

If the music is good, I can still listen to bad remasters of it. However, I have records that were wonderfully recorded, but the music on them sucked big time.

19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

youtube sounds pretty good on my set up. I take that as...it means its not broken.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If I like the music and it’s the only available option, I listen to it and enjoy.

I’m not going to get rid of the new stones album because it’s too loud.

Rolltide, macster and russk like this.
  21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

If the quality is bad enough that I cannot get past the SQ, I sell it.

22. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Why would you purchase bad music? Just taking a chance in an unknown?

23. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I am hoping you are the new king of humor and sarcasm:D

24. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

obviously first step is to find a better mastering. so assuming you have the best mastering available, it depends on what’s wrong with it. sometimes all it needs is some EQ. it can be hard to undo bad EQ but you can approximate it so that it’s at least acceptable sounding.

but if the best available mastering is still compressed/clipped/no-noised, then just forget about it. nothing in the world you do can fix that because it’s damaged beyond repair. best you can do is hope for is a better remaster at some point in the future.

25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

i can’t imagine any revision to a system that makes bad recordings sound better unless it involves downgrading or wonky EQ settings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.