What do you guys think about "audiophile" power cords?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Maybe Steve can jump in here too with any thoughts on those $100-$500 aftermarket powercords and their potential benefits.

I kick around this idea often, and am looking for some thoughts from people around here who haved used these things. I know there's places on the web where people rant and rave and discuss all nuances of these cords, but I like it over here, where you have pretty reasonable opinions from music lovers who have good experience with gear.

Cords that are offered from DIY places like this guy's website look like decent construction for the price.

I believe I've even heard some of the gear manufacturers poo-poo the idea, simply stating that they designed sufficient operation/performance with the cord they package in the box.

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I honestly can't think of a single logical reason for why an audiophile power cord should make a difference.

Please notice I very carefully did not say "this can not possibly make a difference".

But I'm *very* skeptical about this one. The power travels through all kinds of wires to get to your AC outlet. Why should a bit of audiophlile cord between the wall and the component make a difference? Unless it's just performing some of the filtering that ought to take place in the power supply.

I had one preamp which came with an "audiophile grade" cable. I did not notice it making a difference. Of course it was not an ultimate audiophile system; you may also argue my ears are not golden enough; and ultimately, you can't prove a negative.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh, power cords! Yes, Chris ven Haus knows his stuff, and they seem pretty easy to make, compared with his braided Cat 5 speaker cables. Chris turned me on to silver foil speaker cables after the Cat 5s; and he was certainly right on there.

All my power cords are made by Bob Crump - T. G. Audio. I have two SLVRs, two HSR-A Gen IIs, and a HSR-I squared. I should send him my Gen IIs and have them upgraded. The SLVRs are excellent.

I've read heaps about power cords in the last couple of years. When I first heard that audiophiles were replacing the standard cords with after-market versions, I thought it was illogical, but auditioning buried that idea. In certain situations, a power cord upgrade will provide a MUCH larger improvement than i/cs or cables.

Now there is a lot published about how they work, or how they can't work (depending on the barrow you are pushing); but without a shadow of a doubt, the best write-up I've read is the interview at six moons with Caelin Gabriel (Shunyata).

You must read this article. Here is the link.

Regards,
    Geoff

4. Larry

Larry Member

I view this trend as snake oil. I have even seen special rubbing compounds to polish the plugs on these cables.:confused:

5. Larry

Larry Member

You can do a lot of good by having a dedicated outlet for your system. Or even better, one for your power amplifier and one for the rest of your components.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Every little bit helps. If you build any electronics, even the wire you use for point-to-point coupling, everything means something.

There are ways to experiment inexpensively with this. Many times, modest cost improvements in cords and power supplies do make a difference in performance.

Trust me, it's there.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Caelin is a wise man, Geoff:

May I excerpt from the interview:

The power utility companies behind the curve ball?

Actually no. Unless you live in a large metro area like New York or Los Angeles, what a power analyzer will usually reveal is that the power company supplies good clean power with relatively little noise. This is the first great misunderstanding - that audiophiles need to protect their equipment from the horribly polluted world "out there". Our research demonstrates that the primary culprit of power line noise and disturbance is generated within the household - from high-current devices like air conditioning, electric heating and refrigerators to high-noise devices like fluorescent lights, dimmers and digital electronics.

But the primary cause of noise and interference that degrades audio and video reproduction is the A/V equipment itself. Radiation of high-frequency noise from digital processors and switching noise from power supply rectifiers are the primary culprits.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Interesting comments so far.

I agree with the excerpt Steve pointed out about the noise from the components or other things on the line. I think that my apartment building wiring is probably the main hindrance. My building must be 25 years old, and I think my A/V gear probably shares the same line as the refrigerator and the A/C. When I buy a house later this year, I plan on having an electrician run a dedicated outlet for my amp, and the other to put my TV and the rest of my gear on. The cost of that would probably be ~$200-300, probably money better spent that on an upgraded cord.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have an audiophile "power strip" that I run between the wall and the amp's (and everything else's) power cords. I found that the washing machine - on the same fuse as the stereo - really fuzzes up the sound! This cures that problem.

I've vintage McIntosh pre and amp and I have a reluctance to replace the vintage power cords.

The power supply sucks here as my townhouse has aluminium wiring. I can't upgrade ther recepticle plug because of this (will only take copper wiring). So the long term plan is to get to the fuse box and run copper wiring to a wall recepticle.

An electrically minded friend says this would be easy. :cool:

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the power cords for vintage McIntosh tube amps? I'd hate to screw up the sound....

Powercords for the CDP would be an option, though!

G

10. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Geoff,

Thank you for providing the link. It was very interesting and informative reading. I have now moved on to his web site powersnakes.com and have continued to learn stuff.

I have also surfed over to Talon speakers since the speaker wire patent is on license from Tierry Budge...

Great Reading thanks again.

I think I will work on untangling all my wires that cross over each other again and again also.

I had better get busy selling stuff on ebay so I can eliminate all my power strips and surge protectors plugged in to each other and see how my much better my system sounds.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I use XLO and NBS powercords... better than the standard chords! But I don't use any external power filters. I used "audiophile filters" for a couple of weeks... a different sound, but not better... they colored the sound (IMHO).

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I have never felt that the power cords have made a great deal of difference but that didn't stop me from experimenting :) I currently use Nordost El Dorado and I think they are a very nice colo(u)r and very flexible ;)

I have a crate in the conservatory that contains my previous attempts - NBS Statements - NBS Professional and PS Audio Labs amongst them. Some of these cables are so thick and stiff that you need to leave a LOT of space behind the equipment and are so springy that they can suspend a preamp in the air :)

All the best - Andrew

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Lovely. Flying amplifiers! :rolleyes:

Gary

;)

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

So, one could infer from this that a combo audio/movie system is not the way to go.

I remember reading years ago in an Enid Lumley column (long before the advent of home theatre) that a TV set should not even be in the same room as one's audio system. A bit off topic, I realize, but falling back in line, I bought one aftermarket PC and sold it shortly thereafter. It did not work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.