What do you guys think of the Denon avr-1800?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrianH, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb Thread Starter

I have it right now and like the detail and definition of it, but it's a little too "digital" for me.

I'm looking at maybe getting a H/K in the 3-400 dollar range.
    I hear that they're warm and detailed.

Is the latest H/K stuff better than what I have?

Any help is appreciated.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I think Denon is one of the finest receiver company's. I would doubt a low-end HK would be much better than the Denon.

You'd have to go over the $1K barrier to get more improvement.

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

As I've posted many times, I'm a Marantz guy. Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent company, but that's about where the similarities end. I'd sooner buy a $3-400 Marantz or Denon than a H/K, Sony, or things easily available. Just my $.02.

4. BrianH

I just don't want to hear it and have to take it back.

I have two receivers in my house one is the pioneer d-509s which sounds less detailed and less precise but not as "Digital" which is ok with me.

The denon is almost like HD audio compared to the pioneer but has a digital sharpness I'm not crazy about.

I'm just too damn choosy about my sound I guess.

What's Marantz' sound like Stxy?

5. BrianH

Let me ask this question: Which receivers/amps do you guys use?

People here seem to love SACD sound, (for the most part) which means to me that you guys like smooth, full, not harsh abrasive sound.

What receivers do you guys use?

6. John L

John L New Member

healyb,

I think in your price range, a Sherwood Newcastle receiver would please you very much. Analog pass-thru also for SACD. I also was very unhappy with a lower cost Denon (avr3200) which sounded so harsh. I took it back for a Sherwood, and it was so much better sounding. Excellent customer service, also. I have since gone back to a higher end Denon (5800) and have been very pleased with it. Good luck.

John

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I use the Denon 3300 which is OOP these days. It was their $1K receiver a few years ago.

Someday I would like to upgrade to the top-of-the-line 5800 series but as soon as Denon does HDMI.

8. BrianH

I would expect that the 1800 that I have probably doesn't even sound as good as the 3200!

It's weird, I can tell the Denon is pretty good; but I just prefer a warmer sounding thing. It obviously sounds much clearer and more powerful than the pioneer I have.
    But the pioneer sounds, for lack of a better word, warmer than the Denon sounds, though less clear and detailed.

If I could find a clear, detailed smooth, warm sounding receiver, I'd be very pleased.

Whats the difference between a 5800 and the 3200 ? It just sounds smoother?
    I see all these boxes with 24/192 DACs and I figure they can't all sound the same.

Sorry for the newbie question but whats an analog pass thru? Maybe I already know it just not by the name.

Thanks for the help.

9. BrianH

So to you guys the 1800 is a p.o.s. right? :laugh:

10. John L

John L New Member

I think it's more the amps inside the machine than anything else. The analog stage, also. The 5800 sounds much, much, less harsh. Very real (smooth) sounding. And quiet. I've had some real quality issues with Marantz (sr18's). And Marantz farms out all repair to contracted shops. Denon and Sherwood repair their own gear. Sherwoods run very hot, but sound very good for the money. I know, it's very difficult to know what your really going to like. I've been thru seperates, also. But too many buzzes and hums to deal with for me. Although, I still love Bryston amps. Much better than my Denon amps. Take care.

John

11. BrianH

Yeah I agree about the amps being the most important.

It's hard to go to a store though and not find the receivers you're looking for.

Most of the time I'm buying deaf 'cause I haven't heard what I'm buying. :(

H/K? High end Denon? Sherwood? ugh.

How do I know for sure.

Any stores on line you guys could direct me to would be apreciated too.

And I'll try to find some stores around here that have a good selection of stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.