What do you people think of Jim Carrey doing 'Walrus'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Damián, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Just curious, seeing as how there's so many Beatles fans here. I just listened to Jim's absolutely, completely over the top version and.. well, I've got to give credit to the man. I liked it.

Of course it's definitely a novelty. Very much similar to his acting, in a way -- completely in-your-face.

I guess people who can't stand the guy on screen probably wonder what the heck Sir George was thinking ..

Cheers

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's 1000 times better than that rake doing Here, There and Everywhere!!!!

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I haven't heard it. Is it at all serious or is it a total parody like his version of "Don't You Need Somebody to Love" in The Cable Guy?

4. Matt

Matt New Member

I haven't heard it, but I read some Beatles article that quoted it. At the end, doesn't Jim say something like, "There! I did it! I defiled a timeless piece of art! For my next trick, I will paint a clown face on the Mona Lisa while using the Shroud of Turin as a dropcloth."

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Carey's Walrus

I have to be honest with you. I heard it without knowing who it was and it knocked me out. I thought it rocked. BTW: I love the Spooky Tooth version too

Peace-
    Norm

6. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

For me, Jeff Beck's awesome cover of "A Day In The Life" alone makes the George Martin tribute CD worth getting.

7. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

It's funny that this should come up because I found this CD used yesterday.

I liked Carrey's take on it. I actually think the song suits his manic personality fine. Just how "Lucy In The Sky Diamonds" suits Shatner in a bizarre sort of way. Keep in mind, that I am a big Jim Carrey fan.

I was surprised at how much I liked the disc. I've got to somewhat disagree with Dave and say that I enjoy Celine's take on "Here, There, And Everywhere." It's not as over the top as a lot of her stuff is. I think Sir George restrained her quite well in the studio.

Jeff Beck's cover is really good. The Phil Collins version of the medley is good too, albeit a bit too much like the "AR" version. I liked his extension on the drum solo.

Sorry to get off topic. But I give :thumbsup: to Jim Carrey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.