What Do You Think of This Ebay Auction?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by stereoguy, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

deredordica and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Since it says "returns not accepted" and it is a magnetic tape, I would simply move along to the next seller auction. Those with 50$ to burn might risk it but I'd say better than fifty percent chance of tape damage?

3. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

From the ad in question:

ACQUIRED OVER 300 REEL TO REEL TAPES FROM A FRIENDS ESTATE, HE WAS A SOUND ENGINEER AND LOVE TO REMIX . ALL RECORDINGS SEEM TO BE FROM AN ORIGINAL TAPE SOURCE, OR CLOSE TO IT. OVER THE YEARS HE RECORDED MANY DIFFERENT GENRES. OVER THE NEXT FEW MONTHS I WILL BE SELLING THE TAPES .

ALL ART WORK IS A COURTESY AND CAN BE FOUND ON THE INTERNET. ITS MAIN PURPOSE IS FOR IDENTIFYING WHAT IS ON THE TAPE, THE ARTIST AND SONGS.

1. I TAKE GREAT CARE IN LISTING TO EACH TAPE BEFORE I PUT IT UP FOR SALE.

2. I WILL NOT SELL A TAPE THAT DOES NOT PERFORM WELL AT 15 ips 2-TRACK, 7 1/2 2-TRACK ips , OR 7 1/2 ips 4-TRACK.

3. THERE ARE NO MARKINGS AS TO WHAT FORMULA THE TAPE IS, BUT WHEN POSSIBLE I WILL TRY AND IDENTIFY.

4. AFTER PURCHASING THE TAPE IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SOUND YOU CAN ALWAYS RECORD OVER IT.

5. SINCE THE TAPES ARE USED ALL SELLS ARE FINAL.

6. IF YOU HAVE ANY CERTAIN ARTIST OR GENRE YOU LIKE TO HAVE ON REEL TO REEL PLEASE CONTACT ME AS I MAY HAVE IT , AS I HAVE RECORDINGS FROM THE 1950s IN TO THE MID 2017s.

7. ALL RECORDINGS ARE FROM TAPE!

Way too many red flags in this listing.

What does "or close to it" mean when claiming to be from an original tape source mean? In the same country?
    "Art work is a courtesy" also indicates that these are home made tapes in an effort to sell old tape stock at inflated prices.
    David Cassidy is misspelled (Divid Cassidy) on the spine of the box.
    Artwork included shows LP labels with the track listing.
    Also claims that it is an actual release by claiming it is on the Bell Records label (the box cover art for several of his listings show the ring wear from the album sleeve used to make the copy)
    Disclaimer: "If you don't like the sound you can always record over it."

At least they are not being offered as safety copies of the original master like other ads I've seen on ebay. I do like the fact that he will make tapes for you upon request (item #6). Let the buyer beware..........

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Jimmy B. and Dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.