What does it really mean on Amazon when it says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months"?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by appledan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist Thread Starter

I want to purchase some electronic gear from Amazon, and it says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months". However, it doesn't say that the item is out of stock. It even allows me to add the item to the shopping cart and purchase it if I wanted. I should also mention that it says that the item ships from and is sold by Amazon.

Would it really take 1-3 months to ship it? That seems a little ridiculous.

2. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

From my experience, it means that the vendor has informed Amazon that the item is on-order, and isn't out-of-print or discontinued. I've often had items take the full three months, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. It's really just an estimate, but it usually means that they'll have it back in-stock at some point.

3. It greatly depends on the nature of the product category and the availability of the item. A distributor is telling Amazon basically they think they can fill the order, but Amazon is unsure of the information. Sometimes the item will eventually be canceled, sometimes the order will ship in a week or two.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It means they don't know when they will ship it if ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.