What Does Obi Stand For??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gates69, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie Thread Starter

I know what it is but do the letters have some sort of meaning??

2. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I think Obi is the Japanese word for sash

Murph

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep, belt or sash.

4. Don C

Don C Member

But in the context of records, it means that paper band that wraps around a record sleeve, and has a lot of Japansese printing on it.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Obi. ;)

Oh, come on. Someone else would have done it if I hadn't.

Attached Files:

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

7. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

It is the ribbon that you use to tie together a kimono at the waist, or the strip on Japanese CD's or LP's.

8. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Its also a three letter word that is WAY over-used in crossword puzzles ! :p

9. Tort

Tort Member

Otherwise Bored Individual

10. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I bought some back from Japan. They make great runners for a table or wall decorations. I also bought some of the strips on Japanese CD's or LP's :)

11. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

The question I've always pondered is, do Japanese buyers keep the OBIs and view them as premium items? We sure make a fuss of them here.

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Obi strips also come on other Asian-issued CDs/LPs. I would think a collector will never discard anything away. Below is a scan of the slipcase for the Hong Kong Universal issued "Carpenters - Yesterday Once More" that also come with a obi strip

[​IMG]

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

As someone who has been in Japan and shopped the used CD/LP shops, I can tell you that some keep them, some don't. About 30% of the used product still has the obi, on a good day. Since obis are on every CD I saw new, I doubt that they are considered rare to the Japanese. Anyone else? Rontoyko?

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I always tossed the obis in the trash, along with the shrink wrap and any advertsing stickers (contains the hit single '---------')(2 records for the price of one!)(collectors' edition colored vinyl)(contains free poster) or CD longboxes. they're not actually part of the artwork, just something the record company adds as a promotional device.

can't help but wonder if, in the future, collectors will obsess over the sticky tab on the top of jewel boxes with the title on 'em. mayhap I should be saving those, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.