What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I would not have made that mistake even though I'm just an armchair remixer. :p

When I first heard it I was like UT-OH. I actually took the time to re-edit that mix with the extra piano flown in and tweak the entry of the orchestra which was a bit off.

At least they fixed it for the 2017 remix.

4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

All these Pepper threads are like the story of the Beatles themselves. Joy, excitement and anticipation all turned into acrimony and anger.

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The quote I found interesting in the article, even though he was talking about the earlier 1+ release:

So he set about recapturing the power of those mono recordings. "In Beatles world, if you can make something more aggressive, they want it more aggressive," Martin says, cueing up Paperback Writer to prove his point.

So, some of the people laying "blame" on Giles for the Sgt.Pepper remix might need to kick their complaints up higher, to the Beatles themselves. :D

Like in many jobs, bosses sometimes have an agenda and lay out instructions for their employees.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The mistake is amateur.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I really complained about this months ago, but that piano is there. It's just so far down in the remix that you can barely hear it.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pros make mistakes too.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  10. Gems-A-Bems

Everyone makes mistakes. Correcting mistakes before they reach consumers certainly makes a supposed professional seem like less of an amateur.

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Happens when you tool with a 50 year old mix.

12. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

That's it....I can't live with the compressed loud crappy music anymore...And I am gonna end it. I'm gonna jump....Only 5 steps to the landing...Maybe at least I'll twist an ankle or something.

Seriously though, there should be no need for louder and louder music but the war is still on. It should be over, but it isn't. New releases still get screwed over but a lot of recent remasters (including The Beatles) have been well done. Not maybe as well as some of the members on here would like (including me) but you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need. Oh yea!
    The most recent remasters from:
    David Bowie
    Billy Joel
    Abba
    Queen
    Led Zeppelin

Definitely not victims of the loudness war. And anyone who thinks otherwise - Just listen to the latest releases from the Heavy Metal, EDM or Dub Step genres.

I am not suggesting that anyone should listen to any of this......Music...Just, you know, for the point I am making.

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

14. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

There are some of us! I'm 18 and I'm enthralled with audio quality.

Dan The Man1, DR.J and NorthNY Mark like this.
  15. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I'm not sure about that. For example, to my understanding, the 2009 remaster will be taken away from Spotify and be replaced with the 2017 remix.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The Rock Band remixes had the luxury of being different... quite purposefully, for affect. This is true for ANY project that isn't a straight remaster. Of course Giles copped to using the Love mix of a A Day In The Life, from the 1+ collection. For that mix he left out the second piano. Perhaps Giles and Abbey Road should make certain that mixes done for special projects be clearly marked with copious notes so they won't be used for other projects down the road. Ron

17. john morris

Well put. Of course The Beatles always wanted a loud rhythm section in their music. Back in 1967 you could only cut so much bass onto a record. Apparently The Beatles could never get enough bass onto their records. That's why Abbey Road is so-o-o bass heavy. That's the way it was mixed. Sgt. Pepper always had good strong bass; now it has more bass. If it's your cup of tea (Prince Of Whales or Irish Breakfast for me) then the remix Sgt. Pepper is the greastest thing since sliced bread. But if it isn't, then the member in question is up the creek without a paddle.

18. john morris

Very funny, yea right sure....You are joking right?

Nooooooooooooooooo!!

19. john morris

80's compact disks are easy to spot. They LOOK CRAPPY but sound GOLDEN.

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I wish. I believe it was in an interview where he stated that.

22. john morris

So what now? Is this a streaming music thingy-rule that whenever they get a remix of a song or album the original mix is never to be heard from again?

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

At one time the Doors remixes were on Spotify and the Doors' management said that the those remixes were the new standard. Now, as far as I can see, they are no longer there. So I wouldn't get all up in arms about what might happen.

24. Gems-A-Bems

Another mark of a supposed professional?

25. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Agreed, and they also darkened the eyebrows.

Who is the old wrinkled guy on the right?

Dan The Man1 and Pinknik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.