What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well yeah, it was made for the kiddies, with their el cheapo mono turntable/amp/speaker combos... as opposed to the stereo version for the audiophiles with their fancy stereos... :):)

2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Seriously I don't think Paul looks as old as his son does. at least he has hair...

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Angela Lansbury... ;)

[​IMG]

Pinknik, mne563 and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  4. Damn, a Beatles haircut sure makes the man... Wish I had a mop-top!

hi_watt likes this.
  5. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

:laugh::laugh:

6. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

They are still audiophiles out there..But it wasn't like it was in my day. Every house you went to had a Hi-Fi in their living room back in the 80's . O.k. not always Conrad Johnson, B&W, Lynn, Nakamichi set up but a decent stereo system with "seperate components."
    In a lot of living rooms you would find a Radio Shack system (I can hear the laughing): Receiver, turntable and full range speakers. Maybe they got it for $750 but it was decent. Sure the speakers sound was colored, boxy and boomy sounding but they would play loud with bass that would drop down to 40hz. Of course the low end was tubby and uncontrolled but at least you got to hear the low end. Kids don't seem to care these days. Their music is Reggae, Dance, Hip-Hop and Rap - bass heavy genres where the low end is important and yet they sit there listening on some Bluetooth speaker, which barely produces the upper bass; cell phone speaker, which puts out no bass or lower midrange at all; or some crappy $15 earbud whose frequncy response is 150hz - 16 000hz +-3db (If you are lucky)

Some teen will spend a thousand dollars on an Iphone but then bark at paying $80 dollars for a pair of good Sennheiser CX-300 Mark II earbuds.

A while back this young teenage girl was upset that she purchased this one dollar pair of earbuds at the Dollar Store. She exclaimed to me, "But it says their 20hz - 20 000hz." I quickly pointed out to the young lady that it says absolutely nothing.
    "Frequency response," I said "should be stated: 20hz - 20 000hz +-3db or something similar. That is an actual measurement. The company needed to convince you to buy the dollar garbage so they lied to you....You see 20hz - 20 000hz and think, WOW, FULL RANGE EARBUDS FOR ONLY A DOLLAR.
    But without the plus and minus number at the end, the 20hz - 20 000hz could mean anything. The fact that the company in question is trying to pull a fast one on customers is not illegal just in bad taste."

In my day every household had a stereo system and people always wanted a better sounding one. No different than trading up for a better car.

7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Most definitely. My stereo setup was far more important than my car was. (late 70's).
    Had Dahlquist DQ-10's..with sub...Rabco turntable..Tandberg TCD 310 cassette....Ampzilla (GAS) amp and Thalia for pre-amp. Separate Pioneer tuner. Hi-fi shops all around.

Bern

EricSwan likes this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Because they don't have to pay it all at once.

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I don't think the kids listen to reggae nowadays....

10. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Don't fret. When the tinnitus crisis begins in the next few decades, people will reevaluate their listening preferences.

11. That's why it's called a remix and not a remaster.

Grant likes this.
  12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That is your (bitching) opinion, not his. So you were lying when you said he said that of himself.

evilpants and Tommyboy like this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That was precisely my point, yes. George Martin himself made more glaring mistakes, that doesn't make him an amateur.

evilpants, Bern, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Not to get overly scientific, but do ya think The Beatles would have been as big had Paul been BALD -- ? :faint:

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

We have been here before.
    There is not one place where Giles Martin 'admits' he makes a 'mistake' in that article.
    It's the article and the writer of the article that points the sentence 'mistake' to Giles Martin's words.
    In fact Giles is very specific that he uses the LOVE remix of "A Day In The Life" and has done it on purpose.

Again the Mini-George-Martin's on this forum raises their heads.
    They really do think they are better than an educated and professional producer.
    I will use to words to describe this habit: "Jealousy" and "Megalomania".

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It was a mistake to mix out the piano on Love, and it was a bigger mistake to re-use it on 1+, because this is now the "official" version of the song on the Beatles' YouTube VEVO channel, racking up almost 50 million views of the under-dubbed remix

The Anthology DVD has a better remix of "A Day in the Life" on it, but you may never know that if you were from the generation that came of age in the streaming era

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Dan The Man1 and Grant like this.
  17. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Seem like every time you stop and turn around something else just hit the ground.

18. MHP

Yes, in your opinion.
    Not by millions of others who has more value in their lives than to complain about a missing piano tag.

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I understand this quite clearly, as millions of people have viewed it and it's been widely shared. There's plenty of value in my life, I'm not one of the 'socks and sandals' trainspotters Giles speaks of, following every single move Apple Corps makes. But this song is one of the most important pieces of art in the 20th century, far more valuable than any one individual's opinion of it, and it deserves better than this. I think it's a shame that an incomplete mix is out there being so widely viewed, it has way less impact and that's too bad :thumbsdow

lobo likes this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It's funny how the excuse-Giles-at-all-costs-brigade can claim both "not his fault for letting the mistakes go out since he doesn't know these songs in detail like most of us do here" and "they really do think they are better than an educated and professional producer" without a hint of irony.

WonkyWilly likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't call it a remaster. Others have.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That piano is essential to that song.

23. Didn't say you did. But, many complain that it's not like the original. And, of course, it's not.

MHP likes this.
  24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I was listening to the remixed 1 cd again today. I kept thinking ‘the placement of the instruments are great, the songs sound powerful and present. The vocals are clear and centered, the drums nice and loud.’ The loudness eventually catches up though. After a while I was thinking - what a disappointment. Why did Giles have to mix this so darn loud?For me, the overly loud vocals are the main culprit. Why so loud?

bobcat likes this.
  25. MHP

In your opinion. Very different to directly calling and pointing to it as a 'mistake'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.