What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I'm with this guy:

2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Pretty good visual representation of the process. I haven't read the book yet...this will motivate me to finally start.

Bern

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Love the YT comment from the fan of the remix who says, "Ringo now sounds like John Bonham". :pineapple: :doh:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    ParloFax, bherbert and The Bishop like this.
  4. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Implicit in the remixes, it seems, is the wish to introduce the album to a new generation of listeners in a form that, with its unusual panning, doesn’t sound odd or archaic. “I just want people to be able to enjoy the music,” said Martin. “A lot of you guys here are deep Beatles fans. We do it so when you tell your children and grandchildren about this, they don’t put it on and say, ‘Why is it coming out of one speaker?’ We do it for that reason.” Giles Martin

Giles Martin Dissects The <I>Sgt. Pepper</I> 50th Anniversary Remix

There you have it. The remix was not for current Beatles fans, although most Beatles fans enjoy it. It was made for future Beatles fans who won’t like the stereo panning in their headphones and speakers. Making the future music world a better place.

5. ^ ...or our grand children might say instead "Wow, it's coming out of one speaker!" lol

Lownote30 and tages like this.
  6. Right. Just like Don Henley did when Glyn Johns engineered Desperado.

7. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

if they are really worried about what children are going to make of the beatles they should probably lock up paul and ringo to get them out of the public eye.

also, they could have just released the stem recordings royalty free so that young artists could sample them to keep them relevant - if you're of the opinion that people don't want to listen to the historical artifacts anymore (not that I feel that is the case). Tell the truth, James Brown was old 'til Eric and Ra came out with I Got Soul . . .

also, do kids listen to 5.1 mixes?

ParloFax likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I would have never been able to enjoy the forum as it is today, as it likely would have imploded in 2009. Had that occurred.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Pretty sure if this had occurred 30 years ago that the college students would have likely brought in whatever they had at home.

Flat response or otherwise.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is just more rationalizing BS.

Sgt Pepper had no problem recruiting new listeners to it for 50 years - even though its mixing style had been largely out of vogue for about 45 of those 50 years.

And it’s entirely likely that the compressed style used for this mix will be just as out of style at some point.

This was all about generating interest and PR for the 50th anniversary releases to drive revenue.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Regrading the video:

The 2012 reissue is not a remix and it does not sound like garbage.

The individual Mobile Fidelity pressing that your local guy is referring to sounds better than the Beatles MoFi box set pressing. The bottom and top end aren’t as tweaked. His comment regarding the UHQR pressing is interesting, calling it “killer sounding”. Doesn’t he notice that this pressing is even more tweaked than the individual MoFi pressing of Pepper? He has two high end turntables and McIntosh amps sitting behind him!

I also get tired of hearing that the mono mix is the way to go for Sgt. Pepper since the Beatles were present for the mixing sessions, blah, blah, blah. The original stereo mix is just fine.

I haven’t had the opportunity to get my hands on the Nimbus and Audio 5 pressings and probably never will, but I’ve heard the rest and one cannot go wrong with a later Parlophone pressing. I own a few and they do sound the most natural to me. I’m also pleased with the 2012 reissue, in spite of the fact that it is digitally sourced. It may not be the most popular choice around these parts...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Exactly.

MoonPool and marcb like this.
  13. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

I see a lot of younger people listening to music on those smallish Bluetooth speakers and the mono is actually PERFECT for those things.

Lownote30 and drum_cas like this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Dino, NorthNY Mark, bobcat and 2 others like this.
  15. Sgt.Pepper1975

Sgt.Pepper1975 Active Member

Lets face it, the Sgt. Pepper mono mix although way superior to the original 1967 stereo mix, has many flaws. Flaws that were perfected in the 2017 stereo mix. So now the mono is not the undisputed king any longer, it has company. That is the reason why lovers of and people passionate about the mono Pepper are all upset about.

The Bishop likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A whole bunch of assumptions masquerading as fact here.

17. Sgt.Pepper1975

You don't want to face it that's alright no big deal.

18. Sgt.Pepper1975

That's a ridiculous comment. The Beatles wanted the loud bass and drums. They wanted everything loud and it was George Martin that would say that they had to keep things at a certain level in mixing. Not to mention the strict EMI mixing guidelines of that period.

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Strict EMI mixing guidelines?

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

21. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Sure. Jack Bruce and John Bonham, what's not to like?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Do you get a % of every 2017 Pepper remix sold? Your boosterish posts are amusing, I admit, but seriously do you have any other pet project besides trying to convince the forum members that the 2017 remix of pepper is the best thing since sliced bread?:laugh:

Lownote30, WonkyWilly, Onder and 5 others like this.
  23. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Flaws like what? Not trolling or anything, just interested to hear.

Most of casual music listeners and non-hardcore Beatles fans listened to stereo mix for decades now. Mono was "king" among the small minority.

bobcat likes this.
  24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Quatermass, is that you?

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

More assumptions masquerading as fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.