What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

THIS. Analog Beatles from the early days before they were messed with and "improved" upon. As the Beatles intended. Approved by George Martin, John Lennon, and George Harrison. Not just Paul and Ringo. Original Intent and the Real Thing.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Sometimes an insistence on "purity" can limit one's perspective and ability to judge.

Like Steve, I'm typically indifferent to or dissatisfied with/offended by modern remixes, preferring to go with the artist/producer's original creation "as god intended." However, two recent remixes have made me reevaluate my position: "Sgt. Pepper" (via 50th anniversary LP) and the Beach Boys' "Wild Honey" (as heard on the "1967: Sunshine Tomorrow" CD).

Both of these remixes were 100% successful in my opinion; they were done with a sensitivity to the historical context, ie: they are still 'of their time' and not an attempt to make them sound like new recordings like so many remixes. They are still very recognizable as the albums we know and love, yet the lens has been dialed in, allowing for a clearer focus of the image.

If you could transport the George Martin and Brian Wilson of 1967 to 2017 and had them mix their albums using nowadays equipment, this is probably what they would have come up with.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  3. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

"Steve said it; I believe it; that settles it" bumper sticker on my car?

Humor aside, if you want to see idol worship, post a common human nature attribute about a rock star and see a surprisingly emotional and often venomous response.

If celebrities were known, there'd be no celebrities.

Some can enjoy the art even when they know the artist's frailties in life. I am glad for them. Sometimes the artist's behavior precludes enjoyment of the same.

4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

There was a poll thread recently that asked what was the best Pepper of these three:

1. 1967 Mono
    2. 1967 Stereo
    3. 2017 remix

The results, approximately, were:
    1. 50%
    2. 25%
    3. 25%

This feels exactly right. Lots of respect for non-mono versions, in a dead heat at 25%

But the mono clearly the favorite of the three.

5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't think that should dictate what you like or not, but if it does, you'd have to listen to the mono original vinyl only.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't see the need for remixes but I lapped up the Steve Wilson Tull remixes on vinyl because in many cases they did improve on the original. However they did not seek to reinvent modernise and compress the sound. Unfortunately this appears to be what Giles aimed to do. Took the Psych out of Pepper which the mono doesn't. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I also don't buy the assumption that sound has to be crushed for anyone under 30 to appreciate an historic recording.

formu_la, APH and ParloFax like this.
  7. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

When a video showed John & Yoko’s refrigerated room of furs, a friend of mine spiraled into despair.

She worshipped John Lennon and “Imagine”.

It wasn’t a “no, Brittany! Leave her alone!” moment but it was out there.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  8. There is a great episode of "All In The Family" entitled "Edith Gets A Mink", where Archie blasts with a terrific line hyprocrit peace & love '70s LW types who see no wrong in wearing furs... Highly recommended.

9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Speaking of the hypocrisy of those times, my older brother, who was a full blown hippie into the early Seventies, used to get so mad at me that he would yell at me, "I'll kill you!" I would then respond back, "Peace, love, I'll kill you!" To display his hypocrisy via this catch phrase that I used quite often with him...when he'd throw a tantrum. Oh those proud self righteous hypocritical hippies.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Well said.

Octavian likes this.
  11. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Haha wrong thread

DRM likes this.
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, there's no excuse for my antics. But usually a reason...

Octavian likes this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

They didn't "fix" the mono mix. The original stereo had a lot of margin for improvement, IMO. And actually I think the remix is an improvement, despite some reservations I have with it.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  14. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I don’t find the new 50th of Pepper crushed very much at all. Then again, I’m not seeing the huge problem with it; I think it sounds amazing.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I think more time is needed to absorb more of this 50th SPLHCB remix for at least some of the naysayers. Than again time won't matter if one doesn't like the 2017 mix at all. I like the 2017 mix all the same.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  16. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well said.

What amuses me is not that anyone would dislike the new remix (we all like and dislike different things), but it's the seemingly inaccurate projection or expectation of what the remix was all about. The remix wasn't made to replace the stereo. It wasn't made to replace the mono. It wasn't made because anything is "wrong" with the originals. It was simply made out of respect for the originals, with well-meaning care for the existing tapes, music, and historical importance as a landmark, to offer yet an additional and optional listening option. And to make money of course! :)

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

How on earth does numbing your brain by 'absorbing' more of it make a difference. I sent mine back because it was warped but tried repeated plays and comparisons with other versions. The mix is just too in your face and appears to lose the nuance of the original that gave it a Psych feel. Certain details are brought out but at the expense of the original other worldly experience this album was back in the day. It neither retains the better aspects of the original mono or stereo.The bonus material on the two disc LP was fine and reigned back on the loud showy aspect. If the actual Lp sounded as good as the bonus material it would have been a decent reinterpretation.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Sorry your experience with pepper 50 was a negative one at that. Many have had a similar experience with this release. As my earlier comment stated some won't like pepper 50 regardless of how many mind numbing listens they give it.

I hear you big time the compression does have it negatives on this 50. I don't mind it because it's another way another version of pepper fans can listen too. The 1967 mono and stereo are still at a fab fans disposal. SPLHCB 2017 remix on steroids.

:D

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

What is so "psychedelic" about Sgt. Pepper? One of the big reasons why the original stereo mix came out the way it did was technical limitation of the 4-track, once you downmix several tracks into one to free up space, that's it, those instruments are locked together. Often in one channel of the stereo mix.

Several tracks on Revolver are more "psychedelic" than anything on Pepper. Then again, I probably don't know what psychedelic means.

The Beave likes this.
  20. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

Considering Strawberry Fields was the first track recorded for the Pepper sessions, the dreamy feeling of Lucy in the Sky, the swirling carnival music of Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, and the crescendo-ing strings of A Day in the Life combine for what passed as phychedelic, I imagine, expecially at the time. There is also a considerable amount of playful Lennon chatter within the songs that feel like they’re being spoken directly to the listener (the, “Hi!” in Lucy, the “good... bye,” that starts Reprise), and the fact that many of the songs run into each other without the usual track separation, all of which was probably novel at the time.

Granted, Tomorrow Never Knows from Revolver is a head trip par excellence, and I’m Only Sleeping glides along in a seeming drug induced stupor. So I’m not disagreeing, only pointing out Pepper’s possible psychedelic bona-fides.

Gila likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If it wasn’t so compressed in the mix maybe I could spend more time to absorb how pointless the remix is.

DRM and MicJames like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Many feel that exact way you do. The original 1967 stereo mix and mono are still widely available. The 2017 mix is just another option to listen to Pepper. Pointless too many but than again any new Beatles album reissue makes money.
    Sorry to hear the new 2017 pepper mix didn't satisfy you.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yes the '67 stereo and mono mix are available. But the opportunity for them to do a great remix was blown and now not available.

Thats the point from the folks who are disatisfied with the remix.

I dont know where this idea of telling folks "Well I dont see what youre griping about, youve still got your old records and original mixes."

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its a giant disappointment for those who wanted a great mix.

gja586, DRM and formu_la like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Some like it some don't. The 2017 mix is not a blown opportunity to everyone. As many dislike the new mix there are many who find it thoroughly exhilarating a breath of fresh air into a 50 year old recording.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You completely missed my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.