What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! that's funny...

2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Heavy Metal Snow White and Gila like this.
  3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Are you going to give the White Album remix a chance?

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There's no need for a White Album remix. I could see them going back to Rubber Soul and Revolver where the original stereo mixes were wonky, but The White Album sounds fine, IMO.

YardByrd, scottc1963 and John Grimes like this.
  5. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I mean, it’s sounds fine, sure, but a remix sounds better. Never understood this.

When a song is mixed today, we don’t mix it until it sounds “fine”, we mix it as well as possible.

Gila likes this.
  6. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Who is gonna mix the White album better than George Martin and The Beatles?

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I’m sure there are a few here who are self proclaimed experts who feel they can do better and know best about how it should be.

8. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Because George Martin certainly was the king of mixing right? I’m sure everyone here loves his ‘87 remixes.

Michael, Keith V and Gill-man like this.
  9. Michael

I listen to the outtakes...

bherbert likes this.
  10. Tristero

Why do you assume that remixes automatically sound better? Sometimes they do--particularly when the original mix was problematic in one way or another--but definitely not always and often the original proves to be superior over the long haul. I'm not anti-remix at all and I love hearing surround mixes for my favorite bands, but I'm just not a big fan of Giles Martin's work, particularly in the 5.1 arena. I'm sure that I'd be more enthusiastic about these packages if I was. (I'm more of a Steven Wilson guy for remixes and in his case, the stereo remixes are mainly just an adjunct to the surround.) The Beatles are one band where I generally prefer to stick with the original mixes--mainly in mono but not always--and part of this may be. As I mentioned, I can see the rationale more for going back to Rubber Soul, Revolver and even Pepper, but not really the White Album. Are they going to do Abbey Road too just because they can and it will shift a lot of units? Did fans over the decades listen to these classic albums and complain about how lousy they sounded?

Honestly, I'm not looking to rain on anyone's parade and don't hold myself up as some sort of big expert on these questions, but I just know what I prefer from my own experience. I'm glad that other people enjoy the new mixes and I'm happy with all of the fresh bonus material that comes with them, which in the case of Pepper didn't suffer from the harsher mastering like the remix.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Dan The Man1, Michael and boggs like this.
  11. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

To be fair, I do prefer the vinyl remixes since the mastering is not as harsh.

And also, the remixes don’t replace the originals for me, they are just another version. My 1969 stereo tube-cut Pepper sees the table just as much as my 2017 remix does.

I just love the idea of going back to the original tapes and seeing what they can pull off of them.

12. Tristero

Yeah, that's a big part of the appeal, providing a new way to enjoy an old familiar favorite.

Billy Infinity and Octavian like this.
  13. Michael

Steve Wilson tries to stay true to the original and mixes for sound quality...like listening to the original mix only with kick ass sound...the other one remixes for himself (an egomaniac)...stay's as far from the original mix and destroys all he touches.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Hopefully Giles learned from his Pepper experience.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  15. Michael

Me? NO, but I love all his original mixes. : )

16. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

The Pepper remix was very well received and considered a success. You had some people on here that posted literally hundreds of times that they didn't like it, but the were still the minority.

Litejazz53, Gila and Paul P. like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

What survey/poll/study do you base your info on? I may have missed it. Just curious.

formu_la and Michael like this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Only stating my comment in a positive way. Giles will hopefully make this WA mix even better from his experience with Pepper.
    I like and enjoy the 2017 Pepper remix.

Michael, leeroy jenkins and Yovra like this.
  19. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

And now it bears repeating...again..

[​IMG]

20. Michael

no, it's fine as I can separate nepotism at it worst from gushing over a name...LOL and please do not attack or insult me again my friend if i have an opinion that you disagree with. ; )

21. Michael

minority is fine by me...Sincerely, Mr. Some People.: )

22. Michael

yes, a numbers post would be paramount. : )

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In all honesty, while Revolver and RS need remixing start to finish (in some places more desperately than others, respectively), The White Album needs it on about half the tracks, but not all of them. If I was to pick three or four from each category off the top of my head:

-Need: Back In The USSR (needs some solid. clean low end)
    Bungalow Bill (lift those pillows from the speakers!!)
    Warm Gun (the end-chorus has always sounded overly shrilly to my ears and the drums are very 'thuddy")
    Helter Skelter (an outright sonic mess, IMO...I think a track can be loud and even "messy" and still sound great...this doesn't)

-Doesn't necessarily need (but if done right, could benefit from it):
    While My Guitar Weeps
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide
    Savoy Truffle
    Rev 1

24. Michael

I feel it doesn't need a remix. Just my opinion. : ) been happy with it since day one.

25. Michael

Everybody's Got Something To Hide is close to perfection on the MFSL LP!

Vinylsoul 1965 and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.