What does 'UR' and 'NR' really means?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bluesbro, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Excuse my ignorance, I know that 'UR' = Unrated and 'NR' = Not rated. But, what do these really mean? Does it mean that nobody took the time to rate them? That none of the ratings apply? I see some DVD that boast that this the 'unrated' version of the film, like it is a good thing.

I plan to rent some DVD's to see with the family and I dont understand what 'NR' and 'UR' really mean. I dont want to see some frontal nudity or hear some bad cursing at my family gathering.

HELP!!:help:
  2. seriousfun

seriousfun Active Member

It means that the film hasn't been submitted to the MPAA for a rating.

There's no law that says a film has to have a rating. Some theaters will not show unrated films, and some media won't accept advertisements for unrated films, so marketing opportunities can be limited.

I don't think there is any official designation or distinction between UR and NR.

There is a documentary soon-to-be-released called This Film is Not Yet Rated, which looks like it will be a great explaination of the film rating program.
  3. duse

duse Well-Known Member

Most of the movies that are separately released as unrated or not rated are a gimmick. Maybe a couple of scenes of explicit nudity or even more explicit gore. Hostel was released as R Rated in the theaters, because having it as Unrated or "X" rated would have killed theatrical sales. It was also released separately as R and UR on DVD, but the unrated has a bit more "eye goo" as a "bonus.

That being said, most of the movies that have the potential to be released as unrated or not rated would probably not be the best bet to watch as a "family movie." (Ala the previously mentioned Hostel or American Pie, for example.) Not trying to thread crap, but when "Cars" is released as a DVD, there will be only "one" rated version, as another example.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Well, that sucks!!!!

In other words, I have to refrain from renting a NR movie, because I dont know what I will be getting.
  5. duse

duse Well-Known Member

As a whole, yes, if you're looking for a family movie. Try www.netflix.com. You will be able to read reviews for pretty much every single dvd that has been made. People generally mention family quality, language, etc., but if you want a true family movie experience, I would PG-13 would be as high as you would go, w/o full frontal nudity and very harsh language.
  6. seriousfun

seriousfun Active Member

I'd say you're right, on a DVD release, if you are avoiding nudity, sexual situations, or language. At this point, "Unrated" is a marketing tool, and yes it probably means more adult content.
  7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢

Most unrated films I see, were made before the rating system. Not a big deal, IMO.