What DVD/CD/SACD/DV-A to buy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chuck, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member Thread Starter

I've done a bit of research on the Web and it looks like the short list of combo players in my price range (~$1,000) include:

Denon DVD-2900
    Marantz DV8400
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai

My first question is, "Are there any other players I should consider?"

My primary objective is to place this into my home theater system and watch DVDs. However, I still want to be able to listen to stereo and surround SACDs and DVD-As in the theater system, even though I have a dedicated 2-channel music system upstairs (without a SACD/DVD-A player).

So my second question is," Which one would you purchase and why?"

Thanks!
    Chuck

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The pros and cons of each would be interesting to compare. As well as sonic comaprsons.

A store near me (Audio Excellence) sells Pioneer and just became a Denon dealer. They might have had a chance to A/B them.

Next time I'm by there I'll ask.

3. Chuck

For what it's worth, the Denon site is quite nice since it allows you to download not only the product bulletin AND the 33 page user manual.

Chuck

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the Denon and I like it a lot. It has excellent video performance to boot! Can't say much about the other two, although all are supposed to be excellent machines.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The Marantz '8400 gets high marks on the audio side, while I have read mixed reviews of the Pioneer Elite '47Ai. The '47Ai is an older model, so I don't know if it would be considered state of the art. I've read many good things about the all-around performance of the Denon '2900.

I agree that a face-off among these universal players would be interesting.

6. Vedric

Vedric New Member

Wait for the new Denon 5900 universal player still in development. The 2900 isn't bad if you must buy now and I'm sure it would serve you well. Or...

Check out the McCormack which will likely better the Denon in sound. Here's a link:
    http://www.mccormackaudio.com/udp1.html

Vedric

7. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

8. Vedric

Vedric New Member

Im sorry I completely overlooked the price range. The McCormack will be more than 1k.

From everything I've read the Denon looks fantastic on DVD playback. Most seem happy with its audio performance as well. I've not read enough about the other players to comment more.

Vedric

9. Chuck

Taurus,
    Thanks for making life much easier ;-) Right now I think I'm leaning toward the Denon because of reputation, bass management, and because it has a dedicated DSD decoder for SACD playback. However, I still need to sit down and make a decision matrix.
    Chuck

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I would buy the Marantz 8400 if that company would activate the DVI-Output on the player.

Because I'm gonna buy a Samsung DLP HDTV very soon, I need my Universal Player to do not only SACD/DVDA/DVD-Video well but have DVI also so I can get the best picture possible out of the Samsung.

Only the Marantz fits this bill. But as of right now the DVI is, while in the player, not activated yet. Apparently Marantz will issue a firmware upgrade as soon as they get clearance from their lawyers or whoever.

11. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I have the Marantz DV8400 and really enjoy it. The picture quality is very good....but the audio quality is what sold me on it. Wonderful SACD and redbook sound. Haven't listend to any DVD-A on it yet though. I guess the main reason I chose this unit is for the high quality sound....and that is what I got. Also, it will be nice once Marantz gives the thumbs up on the DVI output to be activated.

12. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Hi Chuck,
    I am not positive, yet I believe an inexpensive SACD player will sound better than an expensive CD player.
    I have an inexpensive Sony SACD player and the SACD sounds much better than the CDs on my 2 channel system.
    If you get a $900 Marantz or ? and then take $100 and get an inexpensive SACD for your 2 channel system. Then try to buy only SACD whenever possible.

Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.