What, exactly, does HDCD "improve" and how?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by creativepart, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe that should have been "what is it supposed to improve" not what does it improve?

I have an HDCD capable CDP. I "think" I can hear a sonic improvement when I listen to HDCDs. Hey the red light goes on that must mean something right?

Does it increase bit depth? Does it increase frequency or dynamic range? Does it increase the sample rate? I've heard things like it uses the last bit to encode "more" information than the last bit could normally hold and then the decoder releases all this goodness to my ears.

OK, that may be too technical of an explanation, but somebody enlighten me. Please.

Paul Green
    PS. How much does Microsoft charge for record companies to use it's proprietary system, too?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You've looked at www.hdcd.com, right?

I didn't know that Microsoft had bought the technology. Wasn't it developed by Keith Johnson of Reference Recordings?

John K.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Thanks for the link, John K. The whole story is there, including the buy out bit. I've never heard a decoded disc, due to none of my players having the HDCD chip.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You're welcome, Pinknik.

Quick Threadcrap: BTW, just noticed your signature. Are you looking forward to the upcoming Hitchhiker's movie?

John K.

5. Jontario

Jontario Member

I think there was some talk of the new Audio Fidelity 24+ Gold series was going to be HDCD encoded, but I have never seen anything official to confirm.

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve posted that the discs will be HDCD encoded.

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You are correct, it was developed by Professor Keith Johnson and Michael "Flash" Pflammer (pardon the spelling) who started the company Pacific Microsonics. Microsoft bought Pacific Microsonics a year or so ago, I believe.

The HDCD emblem now even has a very tiny "Microsoft" above the letters HDCD.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, I don't know much about it, other than it's happening. I've grown attached to the cast members of the low budget TV and radio series, I'm not sure what I'd think of a new set of actors. As with everything, could be real good, or real bad, or that vast wasteland in between. I'll check it out, either way.

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Oooh, could you point me toward that post? Thank you.

P.S. Reason being, I thought Steve didn't care for the process, but was using the Pacific Microsonics A/D, along with single ended tube goodies.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.