What famous or semi-famous musicians have you met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McRich, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Zevon
    Andy Partridge
    Elvis Costello
    Glenn Frey
    Jon Anderson
    Derek Shulman (of Gentle Giant)
    Fee Waybill (and other members of The Tubes)
    John Hiatt
    Suzanne Vega
    Trapper Schoepp
    Clive Gregson
    Ian Hunter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Nothing to forgive. Paul Weller is a great songwriter and musician.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Nope, but it was the show where they pulled one of our friends (at the time) up to play "Party Girl"

4. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

As a human being, easily George Michael.

Though I suppose the biggest buzz was the first time I walked into a room and David Bowie sat cross legged on a table and beckoned me over with "Hi Steve, so what am I doing tonight then?" :D

As a fun entertainer to go out on the town with, probably Boy George.

As the most erudite and interesting of interviewees, Neil Tennant.

For giving me the honour of co-compiling their Greatest Hits and penning the liner notes, Debbie Harry and Blondie.

Special mention to the sweetest, shyest legend on the list, Scott Walker: "It's hell in here, but you seem like a great guy."

Bless.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Interesting. How so?

I'm a fan but always imagined he was a bit of a nutter. Maybe that's the media's image of him influencing me though...

6. stevepafford

I do hope @stepeanut won't be too cross I didn't choose The Dame, but yeah, GM is remarkably sane, and solid company.

The first time I met him (see link below), I was pretty taken aback at how different he was from the tabloid caricature image of him:
    http://www.guyspy.com/an-evening-with-george-michael-jackson/

7. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I'm doing some (architectural) work right now for a fairly famous blues guitar player.

8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Barry Gibb used to shop at the bookstore I worked at in Miami. I checked his credit card to make sure it was him once. :biglaugh: He was super nice all the time. And he liked to buy history books.

This one time that I was not there Whitney came in and made a scene. My whole store got to see a Whitney scene but me. :cry:

Bobby Morrow and stevepafford like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I can just hear him saying that! :)

Always had a good feeling about Scott.

stevepafford likes this.
  10. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I can confirm that he is not Pamela. I can also confirm that he is telling the truth.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Carlos Santana
    Stevie Wonder
    Bob Weir
    Robert Hunter
    NRPS
    Magic Dick (J.Geils Band)
    Bonnie Raitt & Freebo
    Peter Rowan
    Frank Wakefield

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Forgot probably one of the most well known groups that I met some of the members......Jefferson Starship. They played a small local festival here back in the 90s and the groups were fairly accessible after the show.

I met Paul Kantner, Jack Casady, and Diana Mangano. Marty Balin was there for the show too but he left as soon as the show was over and they walked off stage.

13. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Mariel Hemingway came in the record store one day. Girl had absolutely the worst taste in music you can imagine.
    Deb Winger would come in sometimes too. She'd load up on reggae cassettes and was always asking what we thought. I liked her.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  14. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

bjorn & benny (abba)
    chris isaak

that's it

i've been in the same room as some icons (prince, bowie, john fogerty, donny osmond) but never tried to approach them

stevepafford likes this.
  15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Had a few beers with Sadao Watanabe in Sasebo, Japan.

16. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

david crosby
    anderson squire howe bruford wakeman downes
    keith richards
    roger waters, nick mason
    jack bruce
    greg lake
    ian anderson, martin barre
    michael mcdonald

others i cant remember rt now but theres a ton more

17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Living in the Nashville area I had lots of musicians as patients. Some were down to earth and wonderful people, some were as difficult to deal with as you could imagine.

Ultimately they are just people. Money and fame can amplify the traits a person already exhibits. It just ends up giving them the freedom to act in a way most if us would be unable to manifest without serious consequences in our personal or professional lives.

stevepafford likes this.
  18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

In the 90s, I was at a club called Wilson's in NYC to see the R&B/Doo-Wop outfit, Little Isidore & the Inquisitors; to this day, my favorite live group of all time. Anyway, before the show, I walked into the bar area and saw a dude dressed like Robin Hood; with suede and feathers, leather. It was Willie DeVille! I can't remember what I said to him but it was a compliment of some kind and we started talking and he was very friendly to me. The show started and he tells me he wants to introduce me to someone. We go to one of the tables in the joint and Willie introduces me to Jack Nitzsche! I sat at their table for the rest of the show.

Little Isidore (David Forman) wrote the song "A-Train Lady" from Mink DeVille's second LP, Return To Magenta, which was produced by Jack Nitzsche. During the show, Willie got up and sang "Lover Please" with the band. It was quite a night.

action pact and jwoverho like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd imagine Boy George would be great fun. If you got him in the right mood, that is! He was always a great interviewee, and his 1995 biog Take It Like A Man is tremendous.

It must have been wonderful to meet the Dame. Where do you begin with someone like that? Please be careful with your answer!

George Michael, I admit I always had down as a bit of a pompous git. Especially after he followed the excellent Faith album with that misery-fest Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1. Even the title makes you want to slap him!

Nice to hear these tales, though. Keep 'em coming.

stevepafford likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

It's a great shame you've apparently never met one of your favourite artists and personal style icon, Mariah Carey.

Maybe one day, eh?

keyXVII and stevepafford like this.
  21. stevepafford

Oh, good grief.

Mine isn't a list of all the celebs I've met, merely the ones I've spent the most time with on a professional or personal level.

If it were I'd still be here til hell freezes over. Or Mariah Carey makes a good record.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Well, I know you've met Ralf Little, though I've yet to see pictorial proof!

Give us a few of the more interesting celebs you've stumbled across.

23. stevepafford

Oh Cheese Doodles, well I warned you:

Tom Cruise
    Kevin Bacon (heard the most salacious gossip about George Clooney and Woody Harrelson from him!)
    Adam & The Edge (U2)
    Paul McCartney
    Toyah
    Nicholas Hoult
    Chris Evans (both)
    Tina Turner
    Stephen Fry
    Kevin Rowland
    Ian Broudie (we once went to see Madonna together at Brixton Academy!)
    kd lang
    John Cleese
    Prunella Scales
    Andrew Sachs
    Jamie Redknapp
    Catherine Tate
    David Walliams and Matt Lucas (before and since they were known)
    Robbie Williams
    Mark Owen
    Jason Orange
    Gary Barlow
    Manic Street Preachers
    Desmond Llewellyn
    Chris Martin
    Tom Baker
    Thomas Dolby
    David Tennant
    Arthur Baker
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
    The Feeling
    Pierce Brosnan
    Sylvester McCoy
    Sue Johnston
    Most of the Corrie girls except Deirdre (sadly) and Rita (but instead, Sally asked me if I'd done something rude with George Michael)
    John Hurt
    Johnny Depp
    Tommy Lee Jones
    Bill Paxton
    Danny Boyle

Man, we would be here forever, seriously...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

That's some list...

I could ask a thousand questions, but I won't.

I may get back to you re Woody and George, though!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    stevepafford likes this.
  25. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Not many but

I had a drink and a picture with joe Elliott at "the cavern club" in Tokyo...my 3 friends and his small group were the only westerners there...it was pretty surreal and made more so when in pops the lead singer of def leppard....

I saw the flaming lips several times around the late 90s and early 00's...and after a few shows Wayne would chat with us for a while actual (comes across as a smart, and easy to talk to guy)...,

I saw Arthur Lee heading into the double door before his show maybe in 2001 and just said I loved his music, etcand he was thankful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.