What good Hendrix vinyl can I get on Amazon right now?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by thesisinbold, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have no idea where to start with this guy. I have nothing (on vinyl). What is available on amazon that I should get? I'm looking for good LP pressings.

thanks

2. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Fullbug and alchemy like this.
  3. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

marcb, patient_ot, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

The 2010 Legacy Stereo LP's are essential! [​IMG]

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Sony Legacy 2010/14 versions of Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland. Not the reissues last year on Music on Vinyl. Your choice whether you buy the stereo or mono versions. There are fans of both.

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

If you're not sure what to look for, sampling first is the way to go. Studio or live? Or both? There's a lot of ground to cover. Early Hendrix "Jimi Hendrix Experience" AYE, Axis and Electric Ladyland, or the later Woodstock / Fillmore "Band of Gypsys era? There's a big difference in his style and sound from one to the other. I would sample albums first before buying. Personally I think his live shows is where he shines. He loved playing live. He did incredible live versions of his studio stuff. Winterland is great start for the Experience live stuff and Woodstock, Fillmore and Berkeley are great for the early and late era BOG shows where he changed lineups to expand his repertoire and get away from constantly playing "Foxy Lady and "Fire". It's all good whichever way you go, and if you like Hendrix you will probably wind up with all of it anyway .

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  7. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

seaisletim and bluemooze like this.
  8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Agree with others above regarding the 3 Sony Legacy studio albums. They can still be found at places like Barnes and Nobel bookstores.

If you can look outside Amazon such as Acoustic Sounds, you can still get the Classic Records box set "Voodoo Child" at a great price under $50 which is an excellent 30 track/4 LP "best of" set of Hendrix both studio and live. Very good sound and pressings across the board. The only caveat is the red vinyl version is the only one left, I probably got the last black vinyl version last year.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=jimi+hendrix+voodoo

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. I agree. Well worth the price.

10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i also agree with first rays of the rising sun...

its the best posthumous album released....it also has better sound quality than the cry of love and rainbow bridge reissues.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm looking for Axis in this format as well. Love the booklet and sound of the debut and Electric Ladyland but alas never got to pick up Axis. The choice on amazon.uk however is a bit confusing as to which version is which.

12. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Myke likes this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The OP is getting good advice here...I really can't add anything because so far, it's already been said. But like someone said earlier, the sound on the Live At Berkeley LP is incredible....fat bass for days. That may be a great place to start.

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

What about Freedom on vinyl? Is the show at Atlanta Pop Festival worth owning on vinyl?

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just picked Berkeley up today, can't wait to spin it. I actually went in to buy the new Machine Gun release but walked out with this instead.

johnny q likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Never too proud to ask for guidance. Here's what I have :

Are You Experienced - 2013 Mono vinyl
    Axis Bold As Love - 2002 Classic Mono vinyl
    Electric Ladyland - Japanese P58P 2 CD Fatboy
    Live At Woodstock - 2004 Classic Box Set
    Hendrix In The West - original 1972 US vinyl
    Band Of Gypsys - 1997 Classic reissue vinyl
    Smash Hits - US original vinyl
    The Singles Album - 1985 German 2 CD Fatboy