What Graphic Novel or Comic Book Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

I just picked up Sabrina by Nick Drnaso.

It's the kind of graphic novel I like with every day characters drawn simply in their mainly slow moving lives, making you think about society.

What are you reading?

(Edited to correct the name from Sandra.)

2. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I’ve been binge-reading the Hernandez Bros. complete Love & Rockets stories via my local library’s electronic resource system. An amazing body of work and reading it all at once helps bring the big picture into focus.

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm currently reading Multiversity, written by Grant Morrison. It basically provides an overview of the Multiverse that came out of Infinite Crisis/52. Many of the Earths are based on previously published comics and others are based on previously existing Earths. Among them:
    • Earth 3: The Crime Syndicate of America
    • Earth 5: Captain Marvel and The Marvel Family
    • Earth 9: The Tangent Universe
    • Earth 12: Batman Beyond
    • Earth 21: New Frontier
    • Earth 22: Kingdom Come
    • Earth 26: Captain Carrot And His Amazing Zoo Crew
    • Earth 30: Red Son
    • Earth 50: The Justice Lords (from Justice League animated series)
    • Earth 51: The Kirby World (features Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth, OMAC, and The New Gods)
    The story covers a threat to the entire Mulitverse and pulls together many heroes from any Earths (such as Superman from Earth-23, Captain Carrot from Earth-26, and Aquawoman from Earth-11).

lightbulb, PhantomStranger and Rob C like this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was a fan and actually understood the DC 'multiverse'. That said, the Multiversity project was a good idea that was executed horribly. A book only a fanboy could enjoy. The Multiverse is actually a simple idea that DC itself doesn't seem to understand or present properly. Like so much of what DC has done since the turn of the century, it too often feels like the suits currently running the show aren't true fans of their own product. The art and the story in this one felt confused and unfocused. They oughtta try it again!

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Re-reading "Infinity Gauntlet" after watching recent "Infinity War" film.

Expecting "The Defenders- The New Defenders Epic Collection" to arrive next week and that will be my next reading assignment.

ubiknik likes this.
  6. Veltri

That's a good resource! I'd like to tackle that one day should it become available.

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I just finished reading Dave Cockrum's Futurians from the '80s. I read the original Marvel graphic novel, and then the four issues of the independent regular-sized comic (which apparently was also collected as a second Graphic 'novel'). It's too bad he didn't get to do more. The little company that did the regular comic book issues promised him a lot and didn't deliver and went out of business. He had a big hand in both The Legion Of Super-Heroes and X-Men getting renewed life and members in the '70s, and this was as good or better. Just fun super character comics really, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    [​IMG]

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is that the world where everybody is born with a grimace plastered halfway across their face, constantly in a crouching position, the women look like huge men, and all the wrong words are over-exxagerated? :D

I'm slowly catching-up with a Kyle Baker GN I've been putting off a few years: it's King David, his re-telling of the biblical-era rise to power and glory of the lil' boy who smote Goliath...and then went on to do some other stuff, while all his followers joke and jibe in '70s vernacular. Makes the text slow reading. Meh - I've seen better Kyle Baker.

Next up: Osamu Tezuka's 4-book English translated Adolf. For a young Japanese man who kept his head out of the war by working steadily to create an entire comics/cartoon industry, I'm guessing this ought to have some interesting perspective.

9. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

one of the best things i read in the last 10 yrs ........

10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Getting ready to start the Ploog/Bisley collaboration "Thicker Than Blood".

Greg Gee and radickeyfan like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

12. Solitaire1

To me, the major problem DC has is with the constant reboots. With Multiversity it seems like we are right back where we started before Crisis On Infinite Earths.

Contrary to what it has been portrayed, the original DC Multiverse was very easy to understand. The only problem was that the writers sometimes slipped up (such as with Black Canary who somehow went from Earth-Two to Earth-One without an explanation). That's what led to the confusion that prompted them to try and fix things...then have to fix things...then have to fix things...then have to fix things...then have to fix things...then have to fix things...

When it comes to Multiversity's story, I agree that seems to be a bit confusing. I think part of it is Grant Morrison's writing. While he is a great writer (his run on JLA and on Animal Man were excellent), sometimes his writing is confusing. As an example, I read Final Crisis and at the end I was confused about exactly what happened (although the moment they introduced The Miracle Machine it ended the story for me since I could guess what would happen [The Miracle Machine is a device that is so powerful that it basically ends the story the moment it appears]).

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  13. Solitaire1

Dillydipper wrote the following as part of a post:

I called Earth-51 "The Kirby World" because they took the concepts that Kirby wrote and put them together on one earth. It's just like Earth-6 could be called "The Stan Lee World" since it is based on the Just Imagine Stan Lee's... comics that Lee wrote for DC (where he created his own versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and so one).

14. Dillydipper

I just recall everybody in Kirby's 4th World stories had that inappropriate way of speaking, with the wrong words stresed. And every woman from Barda on out, had those same body styles that were unrealistic to most other artists' ethics. So out of place in the DC house style. Kirby's draughtsmanship was all power, though.

15. Solitaire1

While they are Kirby's characters, the art was done by Scott McDaniel and Paulo Siqueira and their art does not emulate his style. Scanning the text, it looks like they are trying to emulate a bit of Kirby's writing style. Two examples:
    • "You mentioned old comic books. Now why would these be here?"
    • "Take these weapons and leave! These are mysteries for another day!"

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Agreed. Marvel has the same problem. And I've always felt it has more to do with the 'suits' never-ending quest for profits. All those # 1's! Multiversity was a project that took way too long to complete. Things that were in place when it started had changed by the time it was finished. I don't read new comics, I just pick up the latest that's available from my local library (it's how I got to read Multiversity!). Hasn't the status quo that the book was supposed to address and correct already been changed?

lightbulb likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic. I quit reading comics in 1988 and started again ten years ago thanks to digital distribution on Kindle and ComiXology. Thanks to some massive sales I’ve got a huge backlog catching up on stuff I’ve heard about but missed the first time around.

18. Solitaire1

Right now, DC is doing a series called Doomsday Clock which is supposed to address how The New 52 happened (such as why all the heroes were suddenly 10 years younger than they should be and why some characters (like The Flash [Wally West]) where removed from existence. I'm hoping that DC will use this series to finally fix all of the continuity issues and give us a understandable and consistent continuity.

Wounded Land and CX4eyes like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Yeah, re-visit the originals, you see how hard it is to go with it, when you take it out of context of Kirby's post-Marvel style. DC even went to the trouble of using Joe Sinnot to ink, to soften the blow, particularly with the Jimmy Olson work. Even had to re-draw DC's own characters to make them recognizable. That's how valuable Jack was to DC, to make it work for them, until their audience got used to him.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While Kirby will always be, well, Kirby, I never felt his particular style worked with the DC characters. Much Like Steve Ditko, the only work they did for DC that was worth anything was the work on their own characters and concepts. Kirby AND Ditko did HORRIBLE Superman work! These 2 actually came from the same book!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sneaky Pete and alexpop like this.
  21. It already appears like DC is moving away from Doomsday Clock having a major impact on the DC Universe. I think it's mostly becoming Watchmen II with the added bonus of introducing some Watchmen characters into DC continuity.

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think Osamu Tezuka would've been pretty busy as a physician during the war years in Japan. I have a two volume set of Princess Knight, very entertaining and often with wacky humor! That was one of the first big comics for girls. Also have a book of his earliest Phoenix comics I really like too. A long way from his ambitious serious works like Adolf, Crime & Punishment, and Life Of Buddha, but usually there will still be some gonzo humor even in those at times! He is credited with so many firsts in Japan, even with leading the way toward artists living communally in condemned apartment buildings.

Disney's Lion King is very similar to Tezuka's '50s-'60s Jungle King, and their Mulan is a little similar to his Princess Knight as well, but he was hugely inspired by Disney cartoons himself early on!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    acemachine26, eeglug and lightbulb like this.
  23. Veltri

Gideon Falls by Jeff Lemire (writer) and Andrea Sorrentino (art) is really good. A dark story so far.
    I like just about anything Lemire is involved in.

[​IMG]

24. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I agree about Jeff Lemire's work, I just finished Descender, it was really good, sort of like a space version of Sweet tooth. I also recommend his Black Hammer stuff!

I have just started rereading Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt, this is one of my favorite graphic novels of all time, really great stuff.

uzn007 and Veltri like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm re-reading Urasawa's Monster but I've taken a break to try to finish John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar.

acemachine26 likes this.