What Happened To David Mead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mooserfan, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, which of his records would you say it’s most like? (I love them all, but I’m most attached to Almost and Always, which I think ranks among the best singer-songwriter albums.)

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Closest to the first two records, with some really cool arrangement/effects tricks added in for good measure (so maybe a cross between those two and the more far-out stuff from Wherever You Are). I've tended to revisit the softer stuff more over the years as well, but the songwriting on this is amongst his most solid and it *may* include what I think may be the catchiest thing he's ever written. Absolutely floored me.

Thorpy, anodyne and Mooserfan like this.
  3. Mooserfan

Thanks again, semidetached. I hope this man finally gets the recognition he deserves. Being screwed around with by record companies surely hurt in building up his reputation/career, and must have been beyond frustrating. These past years, I assumed he had just finally given up for good. What a relief he hasn’t!

4. semidetached

Always good to hear new music from him! He has agreed to do a followup podcast with me (we did a really exhaustive one a few years back) so hopefully we can help get the word out there.

Mooserfan likes this.
  5. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Yup, that's Pro Tools

6. Mooserfan

Hi Semidetached:
    I went to Ryan Hewitt’s website, and he lists upcoming releases from acts he is working with, including Elle Macho. Does that mean David’s new work is going to be released under that moniker, instead of being a solo album?

7. semidetached

Interesting. I don't know if the Macho has anything forthcoming, but this is a solo effort in name as far as I know (although Butterfly does some vocals). In fact, the band on this new record are two of the guys who played on his first.

Mooserfan likes this.
  8. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

David’s Facebook page says the new album is coming soon. No more info as of now.

semidetached and Matt Starr like this.
  9. semidetached

He's looking to put it out in January - so that's great news.

Matt Starr likes this.
  10. Mooserfan

jeffrey walsh and arob71 like this.
  11. Mooserfan

Bump, because y’all ought to see the video linked above. The man is back and I couldn’t be more happy about it.

I’m looking forward to this one as much as any of the terrific releases coming out this fall.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  12. semidetached

I don't think there will be disappointment in this new record. It's really solid. In fact, the track She Walks Like A Grown Woman may be my favorite thing he's ever done. Album is a tight ten songs, it feels like just the right amount - but there's really nothing lacking on this album. He rips some great solos and there's a lot of syncopated palm mutey kinda licks a la Hall And Oates maybe. Lots of hooks.

In the meantime, David has agreed to return to my podcast to chat about another band as well as do an episode to plug the new record, so I'll drop links when those are published.

Also, tons of live stuff that he let me shoot over the years at mineandyours - it's worth checking out, he's one of the best songwriters that the last two decades has given us.

Mooserfan and arob71 like this.
  13. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

He also sings backing vocals on the Monkees' new Christmas single:

Mooserfan and semidetached like this.
  14. semidetached

He certainly does. Worlds colliding, as it were.

15. semidetached

The Monkees Christmas album came out today - David sings backing on seven tracks, just over half of the album. He's very prominent in the mix, I might add.

Mooserfan likes this.
  16. semidetached

Mooserfan likes this.
  17. Mooserfan

Cannot wait for the new record!!

Somebody (semidetached :) ) convince this man to tour.

semidetached likes this.
  18. semidetached

Hahahaha I wish I could. I think that a tour is probably unlikely given that family is the priority, however I think we need to spread the word about the album and cross our fingers for some one off shows.

Mooserfan likes this.
  19. Rick220

Rick220 Forum Accident

Hi all, some overseas interest in David's music here, from The Netherlands.
    My wife and I have been long time fans of his music and actually met with David in 2012 when he played in The Netherlands supporting Fountains of Wayne. We had a pleasant chat, talked a bit about his music and his plans and were looking forward to future releases. Initially tried to stay in touch via FB, but as mentioned above David seemed to sort of withdraw, and since we deactivated our FB accounts last year, lost contact.
    So, it's fantastic to find out via this forum new David music is on the way. Can't wait!
    @semidetached, if you do talk to David, please give him regards from Tanja and Rick from The Netherlands.

Mooserfan and semidetached like this.
  20. semidetached

I would recommend that anyone interested sign up for David's mailing list - he's giving away a track each day in hi-res.

DAVID MEAD

manicpopthrill, arob71 and Mooserfan like this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What happened to him? Too many people wanted a Bud Light.

22. Mooserfan

It’s here!

There was a time I thought I’d never see another record from him.

arob71 likes this.
  23. semidetached

The album is amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I am currently editing three hours of chat for a podcast featuring snippets of the whole record, track by track discussion, lots of talk about seven years since the last record and more - going up tomorrow and Tuesday, I'll post links for anyone interested.

Thorpy and manicpopthrill like this.
  24. semidetached

25. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

I have followed David too since 'Mine & Yours' was released, and thought 'Dudes' in 2011 would likely be his swansong.
    Absolutely delighted to hear about Cobra Pumps and I signed up last week. Totally surprised / thrilled that he decided to give the album away on download one track at a time; the first two tracks to date have been excellent. A juicy power pop / rock feel quite removed from 'Indiana' or 'Almost And Always'. I responded to him by email as he suggested, and he replied with a very warm, friendly message immediately - he's obviously very pleased that long-term fans are still enjoying his stunning music in 2019! Highly recommended.