What happened to Guy Ritchie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Madonna's got some pretty strong powers of persuasion.

Vahan likes this.
  2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I must admit I had not seen any of his films before his association with Madonna. I have been very impressed with his work. The Holmes films are different from his earlier work, of course, but they still show the hand of a talented filmmaker.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched Snatch again. Perfect as Mona Lisa's smile.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It was my first Ritichie film and I love it. For me "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" is Ritchie's "Reservoir Dogs", while "Snatch" is his "Pulp Fiction". Both are great.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hopefully King Arthur will be good .

6. alexpop

Haven't got my high hopes for that one.
    Wish he made another gangster film in contemporary settings with Jason Statham etc,but I don't think Guy Ritchie's got the mind frame set /kudos to pull it off now.

7. alexpop

Yeah! Lucky Star is featured twice in SNATCH.:)

8. Maybe he felt the way I do--he felt it had potential as a story but hated the original movie.

He'll work again. uncle was well made even if there were some miscalculations.

9. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Just saw The Man From U.N.C.L.E. last night - I enjoyed it. Not incredible, but I can see how this movie didn't rise up - the intended audience never really knew the original show and the film had a unique charm to it - it seems that these movies have to be completely original-feeling (Ex-Machina) or the Avengers or Captain America vs. The Hulk vs. Batman: World War Infinity to make it these days...

These relatively smaller attempts at franchises aren't working out... too bad - I stayed away originally thinking it would pander to the tentpole audience... it didn't. But it works as a film. I don't think the two leads really have that screen presence that commands star-power. They are fine - but outside of Superman, I don't think Henry Cavill or... Arm and Hammer (?) will be able to carry a film. Nobody cared about The Lone Ranger. They cared about the guy who played Tonto, but even then it didn't work...

Ritchie has kept his techno-flute score fully intact BTW. He hasn't changed that one bit - no matter the film, it's in there. All actions scenes have that Ritchie flavor. I recommend that The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Jeff

alexpop likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I really disliked the Uncle film. Painful.

smilin ed likes this.
  11. alexpop

His first two are still the best.
    Then Rock n Rolla & Revolver.

12. It was terrible.

13. alexpop

I fell asleep.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Good analogy!

wolfram likes this.
  15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

U.N.C.L.E. had some charm in the beginning, but the script was so weak, the leads so wooden, the pacing so bad it took me 3 attempts to just get all the way through it. Aside from a few amusing sequences it definitely wasn't worth my effort.

If it wasn't for Viklander being incredibly easy to look at I may not have bothered.

alexpop likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You actually watched that 3 times? My condolences.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah and Ritchie said in an interview he still had to pay...a lot, to use it.

"Why? It's my old lady's tune???"

I enjoy Snatch and Lock Stock. Revolver...not great at all. RocknRolla was pleasantly entertaining, would watch again. The Sherlock Holmes movies were perfectly good Saturday night pizza and beer films. That's all I have seen.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

He made more out of the divorce to cover two lifetimes. Madonna was lucky for him, for sure.:)

19. pez

pez Forum Resident

I'm with ya. Think lock stock was the peak and nothing he's made has come close since. I wasnt a big fan of snatch (the film)

Instant Dharma and levi like this.
  20. alexpop

His last twitter post was a year ago.

Anybody seen Lock, Stock tbe TV Series ( not movie)?

21. alexpop

He be but a ghost now.

22. alexpop

Did you ever watch this brainstorm wt?

23. alexpop

Cockneys in tights methinks. :)

24. Ghostworld

I remember "Swept Away" getting all this attention and I saw it and hated it.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

I watch Martin Scorcese' "Mean Streets" last night. That film is still great. But what the hell did he have to pay the Stones? There was SO MUCH music in that film. Was the right to music cheaper back then? How did a little film get to use so many Rolling Stones' songs.

alexpop likes this.