What happened to musicians who stopped playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pawelgra77, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Happy Rhodes, who may or may not eventually record some more music, hand-builds some of the higher end products produced by Dangerous Music.

I would be very surprised if Our Host doesn't use one or more Dangerous Music products.

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Rod Evans (Deep Purple, Captain Beyond) became a respiratory therapist.

troyvod and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Danielle Dax became a designer.

4. Chris DeVoe

I love the title of her career retrospective: Comatose-Non-Reaction: The Thwarted Pop Career of Danielle Dax

It's one of the great mysteries of the ages how this song wasn't a huge hit.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

It's too real.

6. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

their callus's tend to soften:shrug:

Marc Bessette likes this.
  7. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

gosh..nice to see a danielle dax fan:tiphat:

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That sounds like an idyllic life. People feel sorry for Syd but he got to coast through the rest of his life for just a few year's real work. Not many people can say that.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

One of the joys of doing live sound is being able to play your choice of music through the big sound system at concert volume to check the system before the band shows up. This song was always a good one to shake the dust out of the old woofers.

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The IDs for the Gardner & Turner pics should be the other way around...;)

11. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Boston Band O-Positive, the lead Singer Dave Herlihy practices entertainment law and teaches at Northeastern University.

tedg65 likes this.
  12. I recall someone here mentioning that he'd been telephone solicited by Tim Bogert. Ouch.

izgoblin and GodShifter like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Roger Powell, keyboard player of Todd Rundgren's band Utopia is a software developer. From his Wikipedia article:

A talented computer programmer, Powell developed one of the first PC MIDI sequencers, Texture. Originally developed for the Apple II, Texture allowed the user to manipulate patterns of notes and store them on disk. Soon after the MIDI protocol was introduced, Texture was ported to the IBM PC and the Amiga [13] and utilized the Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface. Its celebrity users included Stevie Wonder and Bob James. Much of Powell's computer work pre-dated MIDI. He gave the first performance on an all digital synthesizer while working with Hal Alles, Douglas Bayer, and Gregory Sims at Bell Laboratories. Powell's talents led eventually to positions with WaveFrame (an "audio mainframe" synthesizer used by Peter Gabriel), Silicon Graphics and Alias/Wavefront.

From 1997 to May 2009, he worked for Apple Computer as a senior programmer and technical lead for audio within Apple Professional Applications. He currently works at Electronic Arts as a Senior Producer on emerging music technologies.
    He was able to play a Utopia reunion during a break between his job at Apple and his one at Electronic Arts. A case can be made that between Roger and Todd, Utopia was the nerdiest rock band ever.

14. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

And Glenn Cornick became sales manager of a food company.

15. On the subject of Queen's John Deacon again, I also seem to recall hearing from someone that one of his sons is also in a group and that he's quite generous with his home studio, not to mention access to what I can imagine is still quite an impressive bass guitar collection.

Bobby Schayer, drummer with Bad Religion for ten years, retired back in 2001 after a recurring shoulder injury left him unable to play. After years of recovery, he's now a drum technician and occasional private tutor who has since moved over to the guitar, selling his drums.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  16. NickDanger

NickDanger Forum Resident

I stopped playing when I realized I couldn't survive on small club wages. Oh wait, you mean people who are talented and successful! Never mind.

Solace, faboomer and Marc Bessette like this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Did they sell wild turkey?

GodShifter and Atmospheric like this.
  18. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Are you sure about that? - I've certainly never read that.

I have read that Colin Blunstone worked in insurance for a short time immediately after the Zombies breakup, until his gradual return to a career in music, first as "Neil MacArthur", then under his own name.

Paul Atkinson became an A&R man IIRC for CBS records (the label that released the final Zombies album Odessey & Oracle) and remained in the music biz behind the scenes until his death. I've read an account by Dan Matovina about his dealings with Paul Atkinson while compiling a Badfinger greatest hits album around 1999/2000 or therabouts. Atkinson died in 2004.

19. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Andy Hummel, bass player for Big Star, was employed by Lockheed Martin for 30 years after he left the group.

20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Fred Frith still plays occasionally, but his day job is as a Professor of Composition at Mills College in Oakland.

That must be an interesting class. I wonder if the students have to supply their own alligator clips. :laugh:

Dudley Morris and DLeet like this.
  21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I saw him play once and he pretty much used a tool kit on his guitar!:)

22. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

23. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I think Janis Joplin used to paint before she started to sing but it was not a career for her.
    Wonder what her stuff looked like.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

70s teenybopper sensation Bobby Sherman:

From Wikipedia:

Jose Jones likes this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.