What happened to musicians who stopped playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pawelgra77, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

John Tichy, who co-founded Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (Hot Rod Lincoln) laster became a professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, in the department of Mechanical, Aerospace & Nuclear Engineering.

Jackie Fox (Runaways) later got her law degree at Harvard and practiced entertainment law in LA.

2. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I think he went bankrupt a couple of times. I can imagine he had as much trouble dealing with money as he did with everything else for a long period of time.
    At some point Dave Gilmour began looking in to things and apparently made sure that money due was going to Syd. It is my understanding (might be wrong) that Dave was in some kind of contact with Syd's sister Rosemary regarding all this. He then ensured that a few Syd tracks went on that best of (Echoes?) and when Syd died he was pretty much a millionaire.
    I'm not a fan of post Syd Floyd, but one thing to admire them for (among a few) is that. Dave deserves the absolute respect of Syd fans, firstly for getting those 2 solo albums together and then for looking out for him financially. Very decent. Thanks Dave.
    Now how about that Syd Immersion Box Set ?

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm not in Pink Floyd, but between this and making sure the young Kate Bush was heard by EMI, Dave seems like a great human being.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

John Deacon is wealthy and doesn't work. He's completely retired and lives on a farm/estate in England. He's into raising horses or some such.

He's been asked by May and Taylor to join various reunions and he's always refused. Taylor stated he was "somewhat frail" (paraphrase).

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

On Lou Barlow's forum, Lou said that Davis lives with his parents & is mentally ill. :(

6. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Well Clarkey may have been having a bit of trouble but judging from that clip the band was suffering from seriously messed up cheesy keyboard sounds which present a far bigger problem in my view. God almighty who thinks that's a good sound. It's a problem that affects a lot of those 60s bands ....must be the drugs they took back then that makes them think ****e synth sounds are really cool.

7. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Yeah the Hollies got stuck in the '80s rut and are still in it. Pity they couldn't have got stuck in a 1966 to 1968 rut or 1972 rut instead...

8. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Mingus knew too.

9. TimL

TimL Forum Resident

Ruth Underwood: Amazingly talented percussionist for Frank Zappa. Decided one day she was going to be a "mom" and just stopped playing.

Most extreme example (in terms of talent/fame) is Cat Stevens. Stopped playing music for 10(?) years. One day he walked into his daughter's room and picked up a guitar she had just purchased. Started playing it and exclaimed "wow. That sounds good!". What a maroon.

10. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Cliff Gallup , the highly influential guitar player with Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps , gave up the rock and roll for this.....
    He died from a heart attack in 1988 at which time he was the director of maintenance and transportation for the Chesapeake school district, he had worked for the city for thirty years at that point.
    His wife neglected to mention, in his obituaries, of his time in the Bluecaps and of his influence on other guitarists.
    He apparently played in semi pro covers groups playing in a Chet Atkins style, nothing wrong with that but a long way from rocking and rolling.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

melstapler likes this.
  12. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Billy Childish was a painter before he took up the guitar and became "Thee Headcoats" "Pop Rivets' "The Milkshakes" "Buff Medways' and "The Musicians of the British Empire"
    and other alter egos I may have left out .
    Billy is still painting and has added poetry to his c.v.
    Billy is an adherent of the ' Throw **** at the wall and eventually something will stick" approach,

Joni Mitchell has gone on record as saying that she was a painter/artist before she became a fairly successful singer songwriter!!

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Corky Laing at one point headed the Canadian musicians union. Don't know if he still does. 20 years ago I found myself on the phone with him discussing a licensing issue in this capacity, and he was surprised that his name meant something to me, as evidently he is forgotten by most.

Lon Van Eaton runs a recording studio in New Hope, PA

14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I wonder if that isn't outdated information. I had heard the same thing near the end of the 90's. And in the early 00's my wife got a chance to speak with Barlow before a show and he confirmed this.

[fast forward 10 years]

A couple of years ago though, Davis emerged with a website/blog where he writes quite lucidly about music and other maters. Last year he released his first album in around 15 years, Spare Parts. Here's the link to his website: http://johnhdavis.com/new-album-spare-parts/

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Probably quite a few that basically spend their money. Bill Wyman, Phil Collins and Tony Banks for example.

16. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

maybe they were one of the first math-rock-bands...

17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Valid point, but definitely not the best example, since Greg Hawkes usually got one co-writer credit on each Cars album (not to mention also on Ocasek's Beatitude solo album) as opposed to Ben Orr, Elliot Easton and David Robinson who between them managed a grand total of zero Cars songwriting co-credits.

Greg Hawkes probably does OK just from his Moving In Stereo co-write which is included on their big selling debut (has it sold more than Heartbeat City? - I dont know but unlike Heartbeat City the debut still sells) and still gets lots of FM classic rock play (in my area anyway) and makes him some coin every time a copy of Fast Times At Ridgemont High is sold or broadcast.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bill Wyman makes metal detectors. Phil Collins wrote a book about the Alamo.

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oh wow, that is thrilling. Thrilling! Feargal sounds fantastic! And one of those rare instances where it's entirely understandable that the audience all whipped out their phones to record.

20. Chris DeVoe

My mistake. Nice to know he's not scrambling. I met him in Akron before one of the Todd concerts, and he's a really nice guy in addition to being hugely talented.

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I know I am probably taking a crow bar to pandoras box,... but... exactly what is it that you have against that song?

22. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Larry Parypa, lead guitarist for The Sonics, works for an insurance company in Seattle,WA. Or at least he did 6 years ago when I worked there. However, I have also heard they are performing again, so this might not be entirely on-topic.

melstapler likes this.
  23. misko

misko Forum Resident

Tal also was a professional sign painter. Wonderful musician. I loved his playing. It was interesting to watch him play as he would often play single notes in rapid succession rather than play chords.

24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The E Street Band would disagree with your assertion.

25. Chris DeVoe

Totally unfamiliar with the songwriting credits on Bruce Springsteen albums. Does he split the songwriting with the members of the band?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.