What happened to the 2015 Roxy Music Super Deluxe Edition Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundAdvice, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

It might come down a bit but with the cost of similar recent one album sets from The Eagles (£90), Queen (£110) etc, it will still be pricey.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I hope it doesn't get cancelled, I want this one really bad.

3. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Hope this includes a High Res stereo remix by SW

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

If it doesn't then I can sell you one, only one careful owner :D:hide:

5. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

The news is great but the price is a disaster.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The price will change, I'm sure (for the best, I hope!)

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I’m not in the market, but I wonder if the basic CD remaster will my original silver stock Polydor / Polygram CD? The flat master box from 2012? was interesting but went out of print quickly. I acquired the complete set of Roxy and Ferry CDs years ago at reasonable prices. I only bought remasters to get the 5.1 remixes of Avalon and Boys and Girls.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Alan2 likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Maybe it's a cd/dvd set, who knows!

11. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Same comment on this as with the new Queen box. For that price looking for a blu ray with 5.1 and hi rez stereo in addition to the outtakes and bbc sessions. If the Marillion Misplaced can come in at £30 why are all these "super" and "director" editions heading north of a ton??

Electric Sydney likes this.
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm guessing it'll be two CD. That's normal, isn't it?

What will be the DVD? Film and/or 5.1 remixes? Personally I can live without those.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Steven Wilson did the remixing job, so I guess a 5.1 version will be included. That's why I think a cd/dvd edition can be possible.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  14. moops

moops Senior Member

From Amazon .......

Super Deluxe Edition
    Product Description
    Roxy Music’s ground-breaking debut album is expanded in an exclusive super-deluxe package featuring rare and previously unavailable material. It represents the first time Roxy Music’s archives have been opened, offering rare and genuinely never-heard-before material outside Roxy’s inner circle. Compiled with the group’s involvement, the 3CD / DVD 12” X 12” box set includes the original album including ‘Virginia Plain’, the demo tape that led to their first record deal plus the legendary BBC Sessions that saw the group hone their craft. There’s also an entire disc, exclusive to this format, of previously unheard studio outtakes prepared exclusively by Bryan Ferry and producer Rhett Davies including alternate session versions for every album track and ‘Virginia Plain’. The original album is presented in the 1999 Bob Ludwig master, while the reminder of the audio has been mastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road. The DVD includes promos and BBC TV appearances as well rare footage of Roxy at the Bataclan Club in Paris in November 1972, the only surviving capture of this line-up live on stage. To round the audio/visual elements of the set off, lifetime admirer Steven Wilson has mixed the album into 5.1 DTS 96/24 and Dolby AC3 Sound. Seven years in the making, the box set also contains a 136-page book printed on hi-gloss 170gsm paper curated by Bryan Ferry, containing many rare and previously unpublished photographs, and an essay by Guardian journalist and author Richard Williams, the man who first wrote about the group in Melody Maker in 1971.

2CD Edition
    Product Description
    This 2-disc deluxe edition of the ground-breaking debut from Roxy Music includes the original album (including ‘Virginia Plain’) in its 1999 Bob Ludwig remaster plus, for the first time on an official release, an entire second disc of BBC sessions mastered at Abbey Road by Frank Arkwright. Attractively packaged in gatefold card, there’s also a 24-page fully illustrated booklet including an essay from Guardian journalist and author Richard Williams.

Tsomi, johnnybrum and Rne like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Super Deluxe, then. It's one of my favorite albums ever by any band, so I couldn't be more pleased.

Edit: I'm drooling. I wish they had used another mastering for the original album, though. Luckily, I have the complete albums box set, which sounds amazing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. moops

moops Senior Member

Unfortunately the 2CD set is pretty underwhelming.
    Compare the Roxy 2CD set to the King Crimson or YES 2 disc reissues ..... not even close.
    You would hope the price for the Super Deluxe might drop, even just a little.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I hope the price drops, and if it doesn't, I will have to find a way to afford it, because it's that album. Anyway, having the BBC sessions officially released it's a real treat. I hope this will work as the beginning of a definitive Roxy Music re-issue campaign.

Tsomi and moops like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, without the demos and outtakes the 2CD set is a waste of time. Unclear whether this set is LP+CD+DVD from what moops quoted above. That would put the price up. I only need or want CDs.

If the price doesn't drop, I'd rather get the download.s

19. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

To finally have the BBC tracks in better audio than the Champagne & Novocaine (I think) boot - that and a Blu-ray will make me very happy!!

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Appears to be just 3 CD + 1 DVD ...... Vinyl sold separately.

[​IMG]

Rne likes this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Lossy surround? Lame.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The price will surely drop as it is just too expensive.
    It looks great but I just hate that LP sized packaging...

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I see. I missed the cue that it was the box which is 12".
    If it's on Universal I might just get lucky. :)

moops likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.