Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'm not responsible for how you take it. Watching this thread, reading everyone's reviews on this reissue series and noting those reviews is pretty far from dismissive.

OTOH characterizing legitimate questions about source material as "people looking to find the proverbial cloud in the silver lining" does strike me as dismissive. You may love these reissues and others may not be quite as enthusiastic for various reasons including the choice of source material. I am interested in all opinions and am noting them even if that strikes you as dismissive.

2. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

What is your opinion of the reissues? Which have you picked up?

noname74 likes this.
  3. Scott Wheeler

I'm still on the fence with them. I have not picked up any as of yet. That is one of the reasons I am watching this thread. Very much on the fence for various reasons.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I assume you're already aware that both of these were released a few years ago, cut from the original masters? They sound great so I have no need for AP versions of the same titles.[/QUOTE]
    What are these?

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Cut from the original masters by Kevin.

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What label were these two titles on?

7. chacha

On what label?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

We are talking about the ones the thread is about. These are on AP and cut by Kevin.

9. Scott Wheeler

was not aware. Please tell us more

10. chacha

No I was referring to someone earlier saying Sunflower and Surf's Up were released a few years ago cut from the original masters.

11. chacha

I was not the one saying this - was asking about it as well. The quote feature screwed up.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Look, it's your tone that comes across as being dismissive whether you think you are being that way or not. And yes, you're right you are not responsible for how I perceive it.

I certainly wasn't trying to be dismissive with my comment. Let's face it people look to find the smallest issues with things here.

Let's move on

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  13. Scott Wheeler

:cheers:

Tommyboy and supermd like this.
  14. chacha

That's great!

15. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Try diversevinyl.com £25 a pop for vinyl. I'll be ordering mine soon.

harmonica98 likes this.
  16. chacha

I don't know how you Brits can afford what you're having to pay for vinyl these days from what I see on this forum as an American. I'm upset by it.

timnor and PteroDon like this.
  17. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What did chad say?

18. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Yes , well I can only agree , I also am quite enraged by what Americans pay for their vinyl.......

FJFP likes this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

I haven't talked to Chad in several years. Last thing he said to me was that classical music was a losing proposition and that AP wasn't going to be doing any classical reissues when I suggested to him that he do an Ivan Moravec reissue series from his Connoisseur series back int he 60s. Of course since then he has gone on to reissue a series of RCA classical war horses.

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Earlier imbibe thread, a reference was made to something chad said about this reissue series...

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

In the thread....

22. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'm listening to the 2014 Friends and I love it! I'm hearing details I don't recall hearing before. This recording & mix is very different from the AP monos I've been listening to. Both are terrific in their way. Friends is stereo of course with certain instruments panned pretty wide (which I like) with full bass. It's so sparse and spread out. Any vocal harmony is mixed fairly low. The AP monos are lush and just come at you in one big wave (pun intended.)

with respect to the '14 Friends, I'm just as happy as I am with the AP mono lps. (I don't have the stereos yet)

Please keep in mind that I'm an unapologetic BB fanboy . . . well, fangeezer. I haven't directly compared with the recent CDs or the 80s green label lp, but I certainly don't recall Friends sounding this nice before.

Lost In The Flood and noname74 like this.
  23. attym

attym Forum Resident

Great to hear. It's obviously one of my favorite albums... I seem to recall reading this was all analog as well. Is that the case?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

FWIW, someone on the Smiley Smile message board claims he emailed the mastering engineer Ron McMaster who indicated he used analog tapes with an all analog chain

Lost In The Flood, Al Smith and attym like this.
  25. chacha

What label is this on?