Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan although I do own copies of most of the albums. I am interested in purchasing the new Stereo versions, pending some feedback here. What's the general consensus of original stereo mixes (not the Duophonic ones). I bought a NM copy of All Summer Long in stereo a few years ago..sounds fantasic to me.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love the early true stereo mixes. For me, they're definitive, just like there are Beatles stereo mixes (Beatles For Sale, for one) where the stereo is the best sounding mix, 'intended' or not. All Summer Long is great in stereo, the mono cuts not withstanding (I Get Around, All Summer Long). IIRC I Get Around is fake stereo, All Summer Long is straight mono on the stereo press). I'll have to check out the mono reissue though. The fadeout on the stereo mix of Don't Back Down comes way too soon in the stereo mix and the outro to that song is one of those absolutely sublime BW falsetto vocals. Almost brings tears to my eyes. The mono mix has the correct song length.

3. attym

attym Forum Resident

Has there been any reviews of the 2012 friends vinyl?

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I don't think Chad needs to be cut any slack. I think he, like the others in the same business, need all the praise they deserve when they knock it out of the park and all the criticism they deserve when they drop the ball. Audiophile reissues sell for a premium and are advertised as a superior product so scrutiny and critical review are called for, not slack. If you cut people slack they often start slacking. I don't care if Chad or anyone else doing audiophile reissues are fans of the material or not. But they better be aware that they are selling their product to fans who do care. If they know their product is going to be scrutinized to the point of OCD then maybe that will motivate them to be conscientious in producing it to the point of OCD. IMO that is a good thing not a bad thing even if there are moments that seem petty and ridiculous in the customer feedback.

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Totally agree on your comments. I think this reissue program, at least on this forum, got a sucker punch in the gut, from all the negative speculation that was reported in the original thread. Then it was deleted. I took a chance and bought the mono versions of Surfer Girl and Shut Down Vol. 2 I'm very happy with these two LP's, and getting ready to buy some more. It always seems that someone has a negative agenda or ax to grind around here.

e.s. and Shawn like this.
  6. Scott Wheeler

I must have missed the posts that lead to the closing of that thread. I'm no fan of paranoia or lynch mob mentality. OTOH the thing that started the whole "problem" was a knowledgeable person asking legitimate questions about the source material. If nothing else, hopefully Chad and the other labels will be as diligent as possible in considering things like source tapes and gear used to play back those tapes. Even if it is out of fear of raving audiophiles. I think overall Chad and AP have a pretty good track record but it aint spotless.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Whatever. Chad isn't slacking.

So far this project is a success IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    e.s. likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have the stereo copy of Surfer Girl spinning now. Sounds nice. I like those early BB stereo mixes.

In My Room is breathless

Joti Cover and EasterEverywhere like this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's hilarious that some people think this series is failing when almost every review posted on here has been positive. :laugh:

10. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Whose track record would you consider superior?

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It is comical isn't it. Everything about this reissue series is top notch from the sound quality to the packaging. Seems like people are looking to find the proverbial cloud in the silver lining.

e.s. likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Who has a spotless track record in this business?

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Onto the stereo Surfin' USA LP. I like what I hear thus far. The vocals sound so fresh...

Joti Cover and supermd like this.
  14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see you have bought some of the mono titles also. Now that you have some stereo titles, which do you prefer? With all the talk about the mono versions being better, I'm curious what you think?

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I didn't buy the mono Surfin' USA, so I can't do an A/B at moment. I do prefer the stereo Surfer Girl to the mono press, but I favor stereo in general. The BB vocals sound better to me on the stereo pressing. There's more of that breath of life going on in the stereo LP

Alex Zabotkin, PteroDon and John D. like this.
  16. Scott Wheeler

back at you, whatever...

Who said he was?

noted

17. Scott Wheeler

IMO ORG, Impex and Cisco

18. Scott Wheeler

Music Matters, ORG, Impex and Cisco off the top of my head.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I've had some QC issues with Music Matters Blue Note pressings. They're not spotless. The sound quality and attention to detail of their pressings are second to none, but AP is right up there.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Really?

21. Scott Wheeler

1. Pressing problems are an issue with the pressing plants not the label.
    2. Where did I say Music Matters had a spotless record?
    3. IMO they are both behind the standards set by Impex, Cisco and ORG. I would say those labels are second to none.

22. Scott Wheeler

really

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's fine. I'd rather not pursue going back and forth with you on this. I don't want to take this thread off into tangent that has nothing to do with the topic. My mistake. Not worth the effort.

The new Beach Boy pressing are excellent. Over and out

24. Scott Wheeler

and your opinion has been noted. I don't mean that in a dismissive way. I'm watching all the reports be they positive, negative or mixed.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There are no negatives (as of yet)...the only negative comments are by people who haven't bought them yet (surprise surprise).

All of the comments have been positive or mostly positive with a few minor quibbles about the origin of a few of the songs.