What happens to your music collection when you die

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok granted this is a weird thread but it is something I think about once in a while and I wondered if some of the rest of you thought about it.

Oh yea, by the way, I'm not sitting around thinking about dieing all the time. :)

Anyway have any of you thought about what would happen with your collections if you may unexpectedly die?

Obviously many of us have great music collections and they are very important to us they say something about who we are. Besides these collections are also quite valuable. I have also noticed that many of you, like me, may have spouses who although loving and supportive of our interests probably don't have the same enthusiasm as we do (any husband and wife posters or lurkers here?... see what I mean!) I've made the mistake of telling to my wife a couple time the worth of a particular cd and she usually comes back with a "why don't you sell it." :sigh:

Another thing is how many of you even have friends that have the slightest idea of the meaning or worth of your collection? Fact is with a lot of us, if (God forbid) something did happen and someone tried "help out" the wife by getting all those cds sold. I could just imagine someone being very proud of themselves for getting a couple grand for the collection when I could probably get that by selling off the right couple dozen.

The other thing I've thought about are my kids. I see my music collection as a great education in music for them not everything but some stuff I would like that they checked out when the time was right (right now they are very young 3 and 5 but I can see interest there.)

So has anyone else thought about this? Or am I just being morbid?

ribonucleic likes this.
  2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Interesting question....well, if I don't have to liquidate for financial reasons before the Reaper's icy claw grabs my shoulder, whoever's left behind can fight over it, and everything else I own....give them something to do instead of needlessly mourning me!:D Seriously, though, were anything to happen right now, my sister gets all of it to do with as she wishes....

I should make a list of the pricier stuff, so in case she did sell anything, she'd get fair value....after any collector dies, the sharks come out of the woodwork. I've heard of a few situations like that, rotten to do, but the survivors don't know any better...

Hopefull, this eventuality is a few years off.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

ED:cool:

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

garage sale........:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

My original plan was to be buried with it, but now I'm thinking I'd like all the vinyl melted down and made into a statue of myself, in some magnamious pose. ;)

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

In my case, you can take it with you.

mud-:D

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

My wife has instructions to divide it up among you guys
    Enjoy-
    Norm

Brandon Benwell and ribonucleic like this.
  8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

goes via probate to a good friend who will do as he wishes with it. Ah, the joys of the legal profession! LOL

9. Tristan

Tristan Member

Heh, heh... I needn't worry about this one. My wife is the proverbial pack rat, so I can rest assured that my valuable collection of vinyl will rest in the family for many years. Most likely, it will wind up in the hands of my kids, who will probably rummage and scoure through them, leaving a trail of destruction and mayhem behind. Oh well! Perhaps I should worry...
    Nah!!! Enjoy it while you can, life is short, so cherish every precious moment!

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

perish the thought...the hereafter without my cds!!....it won't be Heaven to me without my precious babies :D

hope my son likes owning a large cd/record collection.

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Hmmmmmmm...

I think Floyd was thinking more in the lines of our wives and kids. Sure they will find a willing buyer for that DCC Ram, or minty mono Magical Mystery Tour mono. They might even get a 5 spot for that "Two Virgins" Tetragramation/Apple with the paper bag cover.

But do they know they could get more??

Sadly, my kids might know more than my wife. My daughter has taken an interest in my "audio excitements", and may be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. I still fear that my loss of life may just be my families loss of an investment.

Maybe I should make a list.....

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Heck, no, I won't go! ;)

Heck, you're lucky! When I say that to my wife she says "And how much did you pay for it!

:gulp!:

;)

I try to give her an idea what the stereo is worth, what the CDs are worth as I'm pretty sure it'll be sold off. Or tossed.

What's the "extra large" coffin going for these days, anyway? :eek:

13. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Great (and ususual) thread. I am trying to teach my five and eight year olds about the beauty and value of music, and after being married twelve years, my wife would know that the music collection wouldn't be something to just sticker for a garage sale. However, because of this thread, I think there are some discussions I now need to have....

I don't think I will need to take my collection with me when I die, as I know the place I am going has the ultimate music collection - everything is in hi-res, noise-reduction does not exist, and all titles have been mastered perfectly....yes, up in heaven, even the Beatles and Springsteen catalogs have already been reissued....

14. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

"If there is a rock and roll heaven they must have a hell of a band":thumbsup:

15. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

OK, I just asked my wife what she is going to do with the collection when I shuffle off this earth.

CM Wolff: "You're not going to put it out in a garage sale, are you?"

Mrs. CM Wolff: "Oh, no. I know the value of that music and the time it took to collect it - I could never sell that at a garage sale..."

CM Wolff: (sigh of relief) "What would you do with it then?"

Mrs. CM Wolff: "I would sell it on Ebay"

CM Wolff: (gasp, lungs collapsing) NO!!!!!!!!! (pain worse than Luke finding out Darth is Dad)

Frosst and ribonucleic like this.
  16. Mike

Mike New Member

The world's first and only mausoleum constructed entirely of cd's. People will come from miles around to gaze in wonder at its magnificence and through it I will achieve immortality.

ribonucleic likes this.
  17. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I'll never die.

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I hope mine all ends up on E-Bay and makes my peeps rich!! Failing that, and more seriously, I read a few years ago in Goldmine about an archive of phonograph records which is trying to collect and preserve every pop music record ever made. I can't recall the details: anyone know anything about this?

ribonucleic likes this.
  19. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Thanks Norm. I'll buy the final LONG BOX for you... and seal it ;) Can I have the Ike and Tina - River Deep Mt. High? FM

20. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

I would also like to know. I saw it on tv a few years ago. It is in New York and they highlited a copy of the Stones - England Newest signed by all. Laurie Anderson was there as they invite artists to come and utilize the library for samples and such. They also showed some LPs that release air frshener from the grooves when played and how they have to be kept stored away from the others as the smell permeates...

Mark P.

21. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

Maybe the collection itself will be the end of us.

Going to reach for a musical treat and the shelves collapse!

Or maybe your spouse has had enough of your collecting and does you in!

I am not going to sleep well tonight...

Mark P.

22. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

I think that 99% of the music that we treasure (and spent a treasure on) and discuss here will be of little interest and value to future generations My kids hold their ears when I play the WHO.

wvk

ribonucleic and altaeria like this.
  23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm sure my kids would want the Beatles stuff, but I'm sure they'll pass on Creedence Clearwater (their loss.)

ribonucleic likes this.
  24. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Yeah, my wife just read this over my shoulder and said "hey, he's talking about you!"

ribonucleic likes this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

In the grave. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.