What happens when ebay buyer fails to pick up item at post office?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by misterclean, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, I sold an expensive item to a buyer on ebay. Prior to purchase, I made the buyer aware of the fact that they were going to have to sign for it. When the delivery attempt was made, the buyer was apparently unavailable. Then it sat at their post office for about 9 days, at which point I sent them a reminder that they needed to go to the post office to pick up. No response. A few days later, it seems as though they tried to have the package redelivered (on May 24), but 6 days after that, it was still at their local post office for some reason (I called today to verify).

This past Sunday, I messaged the buyer again, asking if they had received their package, since I couldn't tell if maybe the tracking info hadn't been updated. Once again, no response. Anyways, when I called their post office today, I asked for them to just send it back to me. It has now been 19 days since the original delivery attempt was made.

Assuming that the item is returned to me undamaged, I plan to refund them, but do I have the right to deduct my seller fees and original shipping costs from the refund? (I actually offered free shipping, which I figured into the original purchase price). Has the buyer technically forfeited their right to buyer protection, since they never made an attempt to pick up the item from the post office?

2. Southofi-10

Southofi-10 Well-Known Member

As far as I know you cannot get any shipping fees reimbursed.and yes,the buyer still holds all the cards when it comes to buyer protection. Best thing to do here is give a full refund when your item is returned,if it gets returned.
    Usually you can sign the delivery attempt form,but it back out for pickup, and they will redeliver. Usually...

3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

If a package is returned to me by the post I send the buyer a message regarding this and wait.

If the seller answers I will discuss reshipping the item or cancelling the deal with him/her.

If the deal is cancelled your sale fee (not listing fee) will be refunded by ebay.

4. Did you ship to general delivery at the post office, care of the buyer, or to a post office box?

General delivery packages are given 30 days without pickup by the post office before being returned. Although presumably they'll return if the sender requests it.

5. misterclean

I shipped to a residential, Paypal verfied address. From what I can tell, the USPS only holds packages for 2 weeks after a first delivery attempt has been made.

6. misterclean

No way I'm going to reship to this person, BTW...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.