What happens when you like a new table so much you want/need a better one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thxphotog, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

So after I've created a couple threads about adding a TT to my system for the first time in 20 years, I bought the Rega RP1. I liked it so much I bought the Performance pack. Now I like it so much I've been offered a great deal on an anniversary P40 and I'm seriously considering it. I want it badly! :) Yes, I know, where does it end? Then I'll want a P6-P8-P12 etc. I'm quite certain a P40 would be adequate for me for quite some time.

Any thoughts on the best way to move a barely 1-week old Rega RP1 w/ performance pack? I know I'm gonna take a considerable loss on it, but hopefully I can justify that loss with the deal on the P40.

2. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Consider going even a bit higher up the chain. If you are that eager to upgrade, I would suggest buying beyond what you think may be adequate for now. The goal in this is to never have to wonder if it could be even better and you won't feel the need to upgrade.

Example: a few years ago, I upgraded from a automatic Technics (SL-Q3) to a DebutIII and DL-160. I liked it so much, that I was feeling the upgrade bug shortly after. When I was ready to buy, I was looking in the $1200 range and was narrowing things down when I started looking at VPI. I eventually ended up with my Classic 1 (WAY above my original budget) and I have felt satisfied for the last 3 years, and will continue to be satisfied until I die, or win the lottery. I never wonder if it could sound better, or if there is something else out there. I was very fortunate to have the money at the time, and it's not always easy for someone to stretch the budget, but I feel the piece of mind, not to mention the audible improvement, is definitely worth this approach.

Slick Willie and druboogie like this.
  3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Beware the dreaded Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

What are you missing from your RP1 that you believe the P40 will provide?

4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Tell your dealer you will buy an RP6 from them if they give you 100% trade-in value for the RP1. If not, you'll buy it elsewhere.

Ntotrar, action pact and thxphotog like this.
  5. thxphotog

Cool factor. :)

Actually when I got the RP1, I was sort of experimenting just to see how a turntable would work/sound in my 7.1 home theater. I RARELY listen to anything 2-channel anymore because quite frankly in my system the surround experience almost always trumps the 2-channel. Even the artificial matrix version in a 'logic-7' type mode. 2-channel may be more accurate in detail, but the surround has more impact/excitement. I also realize that if I had a dedicated 2-channel system w/ tube amps etc 2 channel wins basically every time. Having said that, in my current system/room, my only option is to hook the TT to a very good pre-amp (Spectral DCM-10), and loop it through a Pioneer Elite receiver. Again I had no idea if it would be awful or transcendent. :) Turns out I was blown away.

So what am I missing? I won't know until I get something else in here but I am in tune with subtle changes and on paper the P40 has it bested in almost every way. I certainly would audition it if it was a $5,000 machine and I was going to take 5 years to pay it off, but that's not the case here so I'm guessing it's a safe bet.

6. thxphotog

I like it!! :)

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It's a "slippery slope"!...

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, and you only got two records, right? :laugh::sigh:

BufordFZ1 likes this.
  9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It also doesn't hurt to have two tables - because your next itch will be carts -at least with two tables - you can hear your old cart against your upgraded cart - it can also help curb the upgraditis - since when you compare you might find the differences not so hugely different - so that you do not go chasing that 3rd cart upgrade.

10. gloomrider

The point I was trying to make is that the RP1 -> P40 thrill will probably not be as intense as the No Turntable -> RP1 thrill. Unless you can get your dealer to give you a 100% trade on the RP1 (as suggested by @IanL ), give yourself a "cooling off period" to listen to some more vinyl and let the feeling sink in for awhile.

Slick Willie, thxphotog and RonW like this.
  11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If you jump from a RP1 go for the RP6 or better. Skip the 40 and the 3. I also own a RP1 withe the performance package. I am saving for a RP6, but keeping my RP1 anyway.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  12. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

You only live once and life isn't getting longer. Go for it!!!

:edthumbs: Elvis

thxphotog likes this.
  13. thxphotog

It just occurred to me, my RP1 was fulfilled by Amazon, so I called and they're taking it back no questions. Love it!! The deal I'll get (likely on the P40 as mentioned) will be from a local dealer. And I hear ya gloomrider & Ntotrar about aiming higher (RP6) and that the jump to RP40 won't be as great as no TT to RP1, but I'm confident I won't want to go higher than the RP40 with it's external power supply, better cart, belt, platform etc. In fact I could have been happy with the RP1 so the 40 will VERY likely live w/ me for a very long time. To aim much higher I would end up re-thinking everything surrounding the table and I don't want to go down that road. Not now anyway.

14. gloomrider

Since you have solved the RP1 return problem, I have to agree with @Ntotrar that you should consider an RP6. Yes, more $$$ than the RP40, but the RP6 is a keeper for sure. See what kind of deal your local dealer can put together.

15. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

I have no doubt you'll love the RP40 and be content with it. I've been rocking a P3-24 for the last 7 years and I still have no urge to upgrade. everything sounds great on this table. the RP40 is a continuation of the RP3 so you're getting a killer deck!

16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

From here you should get a table with two tonearms. So you can compare them more easily.

17. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Spend the next 1000 dollars on records!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.