What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Ozzy Osbourne's Tribute, other than the 3 1980 tracks (2 great live tracks and the "Dee" outtakes.

It was a big disappointment especially since it was hyped as being from "Late 1981" (which it absolutely is not) right on the back cover and in the press prior to the release. A total lie.

A different show (Montreal 7/81) should have been used for the bulk but given the show they used (Cleveland 5/81), the remixing and overdubbed double-tracked vocals were horrible along with a chop and splice job with the guitar solo and it would have been better in its original form.

Still, for those 3 1980 tracks it's worth it (the sound and performance in those is great, even though one has overdubbed and double tracked vocals) and the Cleveland and Montreal shows in their original forms are available in full from radio broadcasts.

Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake were snubbed again and received no credit for playing on the 2 19&0 live tracks. Credits make it seem like Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge played on all.

Runner up:
    Kiss Music From the Elder
    At the time I was like "what is this??" A cover with no members on it, Just a door and hand?" And no Peter Criss. I didn't even buy it then. A few years later when it came out on CD, I bought it and even though it's far from my favorite Kiss album, I still enjoy it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    PyroMessiah likes this.
  2. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

For me too, but there are 9 tracks that are great to very good. "Stranger Than the Stranger..."; "Onto the Dance Floor" & "The Very First Dance" mar this album and could be replaced with "I'm Home Tonight", "Elephant Girl" and "Last Call for Love".

usrlocal likes this.
  3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Aye. I like Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, and Beggars Banquet, but I always get bored listening to Exile on Main Street.

thematinggame likes this.
  4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Fleet Foxes. After reading rave reviews I bought their first LP. Listened to it once, gave it away.

Young and Restless likes this.
  5. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Wings At The Speed of Sound. As a kid, I really loved Wings, Venus and Mars was my favourite album of all time in 1975. Then this ... WTF??? My mum bought me the compact cssette for my birthday and I pressed play. Let Em In must be the laziest song Paulie ever wrote. And it didnt get much better after that.

John Lennon was right, how do you sleep Paul, only a few years too early.

GLENN likes this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

7. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I waited years for an archival release from the Darkness On The Edge Of Town sessions. When we finally got one (The Promise), it featured modern overdubs, a dodgy mixing aesthetic, and a hodge-podge feel that did absolutely nothing to bring justice to the material.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Poly Styrene: Translucence. Unlistenable and nothing like X Ray Spex
    Public Image: Public Image. We had a great 45 followed by this steaming pile of crap.
    Sid Sings: Badly. Complete Mess
    Alice Cooper: Constrictor. The worst lyrics and music on any AC album. Slop Metal.
    Cherry Vanilla: Venus D Vinyl. Bad Girl was just fun and filthy this sounds like Euro Pop.

9. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I jumped ship then too!! It got worse with all those other people on stage and the stupid suits.

tedg65 likes this.
  10. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Berlin after the brilliant Transformer was a complete letdown. An album I never want to hear again.

11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Artist | Album | Songs I Like

John Mayall | The Turning Point | 1

Charlie | No Second Chance | 1

Snail | Snail | 1

Alan Parsons Project | Pyramid | 2

Van Halen | OU812 | 3

Sade | Love Deluxe | 3

White Zombie | La Sexorcisto: Devil Music | 3

I was also pretty disappointed with UFO's No Place To Run album. I was underwhelmed after three straight Gold Medal winners from them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  12. Northwindblewsouth

Northwindblewsouth Throws Right, Bats Left

Dire Straits—On Every Street

slashdot87 likes this.
  13. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

Spear of Destiny-Outlands
    I bought this for a dollar,maybe less,at Camelot.Don't ask me why,but for some reason,I was expecting something similar to Depeche Mode or OMD.I had heard of the band but had never actually heard them.I decided to take a gamble simply because of the cover and I knew they were British.

A Flock Of Seagulls-Dream Come True
    They were either my second or third fave band at the time.I should have known something was wrong when I saw the cover and wondered what the hell had happened to Paul Reynolds

Yes-Union
    I was not really disappointed by the songs...though I do think that it goes on too long.
    What disappointed me,was that I assumed that all 8 guys were in the studio together for the making of the album.

Queen-A Kind Of Magic
    (before listening)Yes!My favorite band has a new album out!
    (after listening)Oh..its that song from Iron Eagle,some songs from Highlander and my 3 all time least favorite Queen songs;One Year Of Love,Friends Will Be Friends and Pain Is So Close To Pleasure.

The Sage and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

Tame Impala “Currents”

from Lonerism... to this

Yesternow and Sondek like this.
  15. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

I loved Writers Block much more than just that hipster song with the whistling and
    couldn't wait for the follow up..

they did do an "instrumental" album before this but I don't think it counts..

[​IMG]

16. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I'd like to add Springsteen's double feature Human Touch-Lucky Town. I've never recovered after that.

Lewisboogie and rod like this.
  17. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Neither has Bruce...

The Trinity, Lewisboogie, rod and 5 others like this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, I love Big Generator. But I love every Yes album.

I don't really get the complaint above about the "I eat at Chez Nous" line, either. I've actually always liked that line rather. I always sing along with it, and I'm not someone who sings along with most lyrics. I know I definitely don't have normal tastes when it comes to lyrics, though . . . I have some overlap with normal tastes (I like Dylan and Reed as lyricists, for example), but I have more divergence probably. I don't exactly have normal tastes period, I suppose.

Anyway, I love a lot of albums that have been mentioned in this thread.

John Bliss and The Trinity like this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Whaaaat?!! Burn the heretic!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just kidding...my wife's about as big a Stones fan as I am (Exile's my favourite album, not just by the Stones but by anyone) but even she said "I think Exile's alright...they've done better. I can see why you like it so much, though, it's very 'you'!":laugh:

D.B., Lewisboogie and Malinky like this.
  20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I think it's a great side-A. Side-B is dull until 'Cry If You Want'

Sean and tinnox like this.
  21. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Has to be 'Live it Up' - Crosby Stills Nash (1990). Yet even they then still came back strong a couple of years later with two great shows at the Albert Hall and Hammersmith Odeon.

Sean likes this.
  22. Michael Rose

I was introduced to PF in my sophomore year of high school. A quick 1 -2 punch of the album followed by the movie. Since it was the first exposure to them, I really enjoyed it and thought Roger Waters' vocal fit perfect for the songs.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. Michael Rose

Wow, that's my favorite album along with Meddle.

24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It's the only album by them that I know (apart from the whistling song) and I like it.

I like "Big Generator"a lot. I think most people on the title track, and on the fact that it sounds very of its time. I'm not fond of Trevor Rabin but there are good ideas on this album. Jon Anderson shines especially. "Final Eyes", "I'm Running" and "Holy Lamb" is a nice run of songs to end the album with, proggish and MOR at the same time.Good sequencing!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Yayastone likes this.
  25. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

not quite sure what the numbers behind the titles mean , anyway never heard anyone who considered Turning point a disappointment , one of the highlights in Mayall's career - which albums by him do you like ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.