What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

1. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Totally agree. Broke my heart after the first two. But I guess they had to tone it all down in order to break America, and so soon after being 'So Bored' with it to boot.

Music for hipsters :righton:

Ethan B likes this.
  2. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Replacements "Pleased to Meet Me"

First listen I was sitting on the bed looking at the sleeve. When the horns in Can't Hardly Wait came on I chucked it across the room in disgust.

3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Head East - Get Yourself Up.

Bought it on release day after being blown away by Flat As A Pancake the year before.

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I haven't got rid of it yet!

Curious to know what its plus points are for you.

5. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident

From the last years

Steven Wilson - To The Bone

From such great artist, still can't believe how bad it is.

[​IMG]

6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, for starters I guess the reason for your dissapointment was the fact you like Lost In The Dream? Ok, so you could start off by sitting down in your favourite listening spot, put on Thinking Of A Place, turn it up loud, close your eyes and just listen. That’s about ten minutes of your life. When done, you tell if that’s not ten minutes well spent. The thing about The War On Drugs is that they take time. On first listen their songs kind of blend together in to one anonymous mass. You have to get past that and after that big rewards awaits the listener. Or maybe you just don’t like the album....

carlwm likes this.
  7. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Alice Cooper: Constrictor. Horrible heavy metal dross with the worst lyrics of his career. Tragic.

Spazaru likes this.
  8. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I had the opposite reaction. My first listen was in the record store--it had literally just come in the door--and I was ecstatic. My favorite tour was off this album, too.

My biggest disappointment, though, was "Don't Tell a Soul," which I think I mentioned in this thread a couple years ago....

John Porcellino and Spazaru like this.
  9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

My biggest disappointment in an album ever is R.E.M.'s Around The Sun. No melodies let alone harmonies. Purely made because the band needed new "product". They're still one of my favorite bands but my days of buying their albums on the day of release completely unheard were a thing of the past. I don't think the band ever really recovered from this pos.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd.

For years I'd heard how incredible and groundbreaking this album was so I finally decided to buy a copy. I've given it a few listens and I've never been able to get into it despite trying.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Leigh

Leigh Tornado scientist

Now, now, just because you don't like it means it's bad. I get why some people don't like it but I enjoy it on par with just about all his stuff.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thanks for replying. Really appreciate it!

Truthfully, The War On Drugs were entirely new to me. Friends whose taste in music I trust, compared them (him?) to a bunch of singer songwriters that really I like, so with a Christmas record voucher burning in my pocket, I picked up A Deeper Understanding. I listened to it all the way through twice & it was a real struggle.

However, I will take your advice and listen to Thinking Of A Place, then give the rest of the album another blast. You're right. In these day of instant impact we do dismiss things too easily. There's a whole bunch of bands I love that didn't connect on first listen . But back in the eighties we persisted!

I'll let you know how I get on. If there are other albums to ease me in to their sound, I will gladly take your recommendations.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

THE STONE ROSES - Second Coming

Man at C&A and Saint Johnny like this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Forum Resident

Take a look at Progarchives mate :wave:

worst ever rated SW album (not counting the mini album 4 1/2)

1 - Raven & Hand Cannot Erase: 4.30 each one
    3- Grace for Drowning. 4.21
    4- Insurgentes. 3.85
    5- To The Bone. 3.65

I LOVE Steven Wilson, but To The Bone is his worst effort, frankly
    :shake:

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Forum Resident

The prog quotient doesn't really mean much to me. I like TTB better than all of those except for for Raven. And 3.65 is hardly a negative rating on PA. I think Yes' Heaven and Earth was only in 2 star territory back on its initial release.

16. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

Achtung baby

carlwm likes this.
  17. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

This one. It could and should have been great.

[​IMG]

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’m glad (on your behalf) that you are willing to give them a chance. Perhaps their previous effort Lost In The Dream would be a slightly better starting point given that fact their americana roots are a bit more predominant on this album. On the other hand plan one (Thinking Of A Place) should work! Happy listening.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:confused:Confused. Aren't these both Twister Sister covers?

20. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Randy Newman Harps And Angels

Waited for years for an album of new studio material and it ends up being a mish mash of old songs reworked, songs of his that other people previously did now getting a version by Randy, I think it contained only something like 14 minutes of completely new music.

21. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Isn't "Sex In The Summer" Disc 2 track 1? Funnily enough that's one of my favourites on the whole set! A breezy, light-hearted, fun and sexy little number - I always enjoy that one.

But yeah, the second disc is pretty darned good on the whole!

22. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Oh come on, really?

23. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Maybe try Album 1 when driving, it's good like that - fairly loud of course! One of my favourites in the car. In fact, I gotta watch it when I have that on, because it can induce unintentional speeding. Pretty bitchin' loose funky rock 'n' roll... And I also got into it with headphones, listening to the cool parts and interplay within the mix, and Jagger's brilliant vocals.

It's just another 'really great' Rolling Stones album to me, like many other ones (including more recent ones, similarly to yourself).

I think it helped that when I first heard / bought it 20-something years ago, I only ever had the cassette (!) of Album 1 for years and years. So it wasn't a big old sprawling thing for me, and proved pretty accessible.

24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I feel the same way about it. In no way a bad album, but it couldn’t hold a candle to Meddle IMO.

Man at C&A and stetsonic like this.
  25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Bowie's Let's Dance. It was like the Japanese Emperor Hirohito renouncing his divinity.

strummer101 likes this.