What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nowhere

Nowhere Well-Known Member

Radiohead’s Kid A was more perplexing than disappointing to me.. I’m surprised to see it get so many mentions here. Same with Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, all classic Radiohead albums imo. I was a hardcore Radiohead nerd right up to King of Limbs. Eight tracks an album does not make if you ask me.. unless it’s some prog thing with like, 10 minute songs or whatever. I’m sure they have EPs with just as many on it. And just unlistenable, tuneless garbage. Thank god they bounced back with A Moon Shaped Pool.

I reckon every Ty Segall album after Manipulator has been disappointing. I loved Twins, Sleeper, Slaughterhouse, Hair etc. but he kinda lost me after that. I don’t know if you can be THAT prolific for THAT long and still maintain quality of output..

Also, though they’ve been mentioned already.. Antics by Interpol and The Invisible Band by Travis were both really disappointing after a couple of killer albums each.

Oh, and the second Vines album, whatever that one was called. Don’t remember but I LOVED the first album.. what happened!?

Waves Crashing and tedhead like this.
  2. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

It ROCKS....

DTK, Clanceman and Oatsdad like this.
  3. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

With Pet Sounds... the backing tracks are killer.....at times I think the album works better without the vocals...
    Sgt Pepper is overrated, but still a very solid good album...I listen to the White Album more...
    Uncle Meat is the REAL DEAL !!!!
    and funny as hell as well...

Scott6, geogaddi83 and carlwm like this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

The Cult's Choice Of Weapon probably, because they're my favourite band and it was such a colossal disappointment.

I also remember being disappointed with the overblown Use Your Illusion LPs back in the day. I missed the more raw Appetite recordings.

The last two Manic Street Preachers albums have been utter guff too and their previous catalogue is sooo good.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Pet Sounds & Sgt Pepper came with huge reputations but neither came close to being even mildly enjoyable for me. Wrong place, wrong time, probably.

More recently, The War On Drugs sounded like a band that would tick a few boxes but the album of theirs I bought, A Deeper Understanding, was really hopeless. One of the few records I own that I couldn't even give 2/5 to. One for the charity shop, I fear.

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

You're spot on with Pet sounds...I've listened to the arrangements and it's quite impressive...Same for the Sgt. Pepper actually - especially strings and bass...wow

7. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

1) Yes - Tormato (they were human after all)

Not a particularly bad album but a real comedown from previous releases. I feel they never totally got it back again either.

2) Porcupine Tree - The Incident

Bhob likes this.
  8. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

London Calling

Dodoz, Ethan B, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  9. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Ha ha. You have to be joking. If you're not, I kind of respect it because I can think of few albums that I own that there's more universal agreement about it's greatness than London Calling.

But as someone who has a lot of outlier opinions myself, I can dig it!

Tanx, carlwm, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I was not a QMS fan , so this was my entry point for them. In retrospect, I can see why you would say that .

11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

A Deeper Understanding hopeless?! Please please please please give it another chance!!

carlwm likes this.
  12. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Totally agree. Broke my heart after the first two. But I guess they had to tone it all down in order to break America, and so soon after being 'So Bored' with it to boot.

Music for hipsters :righton:

Ethan B likes this.
  13. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Replacements "Pleased to Meet Me"

First listen I was sitting on the bed looking at the sleeve. When the horns in Can't Hardly Wait came on I chucked it across the room in disgust.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Head East - Get Yourself Up.

Bought it on release day after being blown away by Flat As A Pancake the year before.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I haven't got rid of it yet!

Curious to know what its plus points are for you.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

From the last years

Steven Wilson - To The Bone

From such great artist, still can't believe how bad it is.

[​IMG]

17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, for starters I guess the reason for your dissapointment was the fact you like Lost In The Dream? Ok, so you could start off by sitting down in your favourite listening spot, put on Thinking Of A Place, turn it up loud, close your eyes and just listen. That’s about ten minutes of your life. When done, you tell if that’s not ten minutes well spent. The thing about The War On Drugs is that they take time. On first listen their songs kind of blend together in to one anonymous mass. You have to get past that and after that big rewards awaits the listener. Or maybe you just don’t like the album....

carlwm likes this.
  18. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Alice Cooper: Constrictor. Horrible heavy metal dross with the worst lyrics of his career. Tragic.

Spazaru likes this.
  19. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I had the opposite reaction. My first listen was in the record store--it had literally just come in the door--and I was ecstatic. My favorite tour was off this album, too.

My biggest disappointment, though, was "Don't Tell a Soul," which I think I mentioned in this thread a couple years ago....

John Porcellino and Spazaru like this.
  20. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

My biggest disappointment in an album ever is R.E.M.'s Around The Sun. No melodies let alone harmonies. Purely made because the band needed new "product". They're still one of my favorite bands but my days of buying their albums on the day of release completely unheard were a thing of the past. I don't think the band ever really recovered from this pos.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd.

For years I'd heard how incredible and groundbreaking this album was so I finally decided to buy a copy. I've given it a few listens and I've never been able to get into it despite trying.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Now, now, just because you don't like it means it's bad. I get why some people don't like it but I enjoy it on par with just about all his stuff.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thanks for replying. Really appreciate it!

Truthfully, The War On Drugs were entirely new to me. Friends whose taste in music I trust, compared them (him?) to a bunch of singer songwriters that really I like, so with a Christmas record voucher burning in my pocket, I picked up A Deeper Understanding. I listened to it all the way through twice & it was a real struggle.

However, I will take your advice and listen to Thinking Of A Place, then give the rest of the album another blast. You're right. In these day of instant impact we do dismiss things too easily. There's a whole bunch of bands I love that didn't connect on first listen . But back in the eighties we persisted!

I'll let you know how I get on. If there are other albums to ease me in to their sound, I will gladly take your recommendations.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  24. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

THE STONE ROSES - Second Coming

Man at C&A and Saint Johnny like this.
  25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Take a look at Progarchives mate :wave:

worst ever rated SW album (not counting the mini album 4 1/2)

1 - Raven & Hand Cannot Erase: 4.30 each one
    3- Grace for Drowning. 4.21
    4- Insurgentes. 3.85
    5- To The Bone. 3.65

I LOVE Steven Wilson, but To The Bone is his worst effort, frankly
    :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.