Strange or Unusual Finds Inside Used Records, CDs etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gregory Earl, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member Thread Starter

What`s the strangest thing you have ever found inside a record sleeve. A letter? Money? Drugs?
    Name the item and the album you found it in.

I found some pot seeds inside the gate-fold cover of Neil Young`s first album. Not that uncommon I`m sure.

I know, I know. That was your album. Yeah right. :D

Nightfly68, vinyl13 and Andrew J like this.
  2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Many,many years ago I bid on and won a Patti Smith bootleg album "Teenage Perversity". When I got it, what should pop out of the cover besides the record......several pages from some New York punk tabloid of dear miss smith in the buff. Yeah I kept 'em and theyr'e still inside the record album cover.

3. olsen

olsen Senior Member

$127 dollars inside Blondie/Parrallel Lines. Spent it on a hotel in Palm Springs.

4. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

I found a quite large, totally smashed and absolutely petrified marijuana bud sandwiched between the gatefolds of a copy of (what else?) Cheech & Chong's Wedding Album that I got in a box of vinyl albums a number of years ago. There is still to this day a brown stain on the inside cover where it once was.

In one of my early US Beatles albums (Either Something New or Yesterday And Today, I cannot remember exactly) was a sheet of paper written out by a girl named 'Polly' that had mini-reviews of every song on the disc...

Found my share of dead (usually smashed) spiders and cockroaches in a few LPs in my travels as well.

-Aaron

Aftermath, McLover and Andrew J like this.
  5. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Found some vintage late 60's "adult" material inside, of all places, a collection of country gospel albums. Nothing like looking inside a Chuck Wagon Gang album and finding that sort of fun stuff. From what I could tell, the previous owner would place a little checkmark on the back to indicate something was in there. Yee Haw!

Best!

Andrew J likes this.
  6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

This reminds me of this thread back at the Asylum.. it sure cracked me up back when it was posted.

7. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I bought a used vinyl copy of the first "Five Stairsteps and Cubie" album (they of "Ooh Child" fame).
    The plain white inner sleeve features detailed instructions written by the band's live "road manager" on how to take care of the Burke family while they are on a tour. Very detailed, including what time to wake each member in the morning, and "get them on the bus". Pretty wild! My copy must have belonged to the Five Stairsteps' road manager!

8. posieflump

posieflump New Member

I've bought albums which have used concert ticket stubs inside the sleeves. I've found money inside one - unfortunately the note design had changed since and the £20 note was by then worthless (unless I had at least £250-worth, according to my bank). I once bought a "White Album" where the poster had been defaced by drawing genitalia over everything (on both sides).

Off-topic, probably the strangest thing I've found inside anything, however, was when I was refurbishing an old Betamax VCR several years ago. I took the lid off to find the machine had a considerable amount of unburned pipe tobacco and cooked white rice inside it. Most of it was stuck to the circuit boards - amazed it still worked, under the circumstances.

Mart.

9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Lots of squashed bogeys, hairs, a spider or two, and once found what I hope was some athlete's foot powder.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  10. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I found a used copy of Dr Feelgood's 'Malpractice' LP which the record shop had marked 'with booklet.' I asked to inspect it cos I'd never heard of this album having a booklet, lyric sheet or anything, and it turned out to have a tour programme inside, the 'Tales from Dr Feelgood' comic book one which is absolutely brilliant (I've since seen it on sale for £££ in its own right.)
    Needless to say I bought the record instantly...

11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Backstage pass and ticket to a 1992 Allman Brothers concert in my used copy of Beginnings.

12. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The betamax system wasn't that bad at all :thumbsup:
    Now I understand why some regard betamax as a better system than VHS ;)

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Seeds and stems in the gatefold of my quad Allman Brothers at Fillmore East; an unused 1976 Who concert ticket inside Who Are You; a 3x5 notecard autographed by Clarence "Frogman" Henry inside the American Graffiti OST (?!); and a long, long letter of unrequited love inside Gasoline Alley.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

When I started working in NYC in 1981, I bought promo LPs by the ton in the used record stores in The Village. Many of them included promo material inside, usually publicity photos and press releases. Anyway, in 1983 I bought a promo LP of Christopher Cross' second album, Another Page, and inside was a press kit, with a hand-written review of the album on the back. A few days later, I read the same review in the NY Times. Apparently, the Times critic scored a buck or two by trading in his review copy!

I still have the hand-written and printed reviews inside the LP (nice Quiex II pressing, incidentally).

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I found an old early-'70s issue of Circus magazine with Peter Gabriel w/batwings on the cover, inside a used Italian import copy of Selling England By The Pound (with unique gatefold sleeve).

I also found a Yes tour program (circa Tormato tour) inside a used Yes album sleeve. A nice surprise!

16. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I found a pair of paper panties inside the cover of Alice Cooper's School's Out album. Although it was a used album, the panties didn't appear to be. Passed on buyin' it, though!

17. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Once found someone's personal check stamped "cancelled" on it. Why it was inside
    a record jacket I have NO idea! I've also found those ubitiqous "seeds and stems"
    inside various LP jackets but no buds. It wasn't a Cheech and Chong record either.

I once bought a rather sizeable jazz collection and the former owner used
    to type out (!) lengthy reviews of what he thought of the music. He also
    included newspaper clippings of the artists recorded output in the sleeves.

You just never know what you will find sometimes.

18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

You should've bought it. The panties came with early pressings of the LP, and are pretty collectible these days.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  19. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

On a MONO Early Beatles LP a report card from 1968, A MONO Pepper from Canada had the CHUM top ten card for that week, rolling papers in one LP cant remember which one... I buy most of my used vinyl from retailers so most of the strange things are taken out. (like money or anything of value)

over and out

20. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Panties or the LP? ;) :D

21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

This doesn't necessarily qualify as "strange" but it's always nice to find an original poster or insert in a 30-plus years-old album. The rare poster that was still in a used copy of the first Procol Harum album comes to mind.

22. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

lagnaippe

I found a used double T-Rex import lp in a Half Price Books
    store in Texas in the mid 1980s. When I got it up to the
    counter to pay, I noticed that there was an unsleeved
    45 stuffed in the cover which I pointed out to the
    clerk and purchased for an additional .25
    (It was a VG+ copy of THE HEARD "Exit 9" 45,
    which is now about a $1,000 45 to Texas 60s garage
    band collectors)...

Aftermath, McLover and troggy like this.
  23. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Got a ticket stub from a David Bowie show with NIN opening inside a Bowie disc once
    Peace-
    Norm

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

$20 bill...

25. How much was it? These early pressings with panties go for around $20-$40 online depending on condition.

Take care,
    Brett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.