What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Ben, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

Part 2

To read part one go here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=98026

Last post in part 1:

Carry on.

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Potters are still there. Meet The Fockers is gone. Knocked up went up in price.

[noparse]http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6102432_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000183001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-node-offers-1&pf_rd_r=06BCQD5XG1RJNHCGZTX0&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=344092801&pf_rd_i=B000T5O4BC [/noparse]

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What's the latest on the Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" BD/HD DVD? I know it was recalled (?) but several copies are still around.

I grabbed a BD version today at a local store for $25, they also had the HD DVD. Just wondering if I should open it up and enjoy or grab another copy for resale or collectibility?

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The BD is the bad one. The disks are quite common it seems. bestbuy.com and tower.com both have them in stock. tower.com cut the price by about $6 recently, so I asked them if they have a price protection policy, but I don't think they do.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You're referring to "The Song Remains The Same", right?

What is bad about the BD?

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm still waiting for my SRTS HD-DVD from Amazon.

Maybe its time to start looking around elsewhere.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I haven't played my copy yet of the BD version, but it is reported that the TRUEHD track has a major audio dropout that lasts about 7 seconds during Moby Dick, and then another 1 sec dropout a few seconds after that.

The Dolby Digital track is fine, as are all audio tracks on the HD-DVD.

I have a copy of the HD-DVD on order (which actually just shipped today from CDUniverse.com for $21.89 (where the price is now over $25.00)), even though I can only play the DTS stream that the player will convert the TRUEHD track to via the optical output on my A2 player.

8. MikeT

John, you are going to be waiting along time if you ordered from Amazon.

They have the release date as 2010 (which means they have no idea when it is coming out - since they never shipped copies when it was released and then delayed).

Check this link to see what I mean:

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-...ef=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198877267&sr=1-5

I would start looking elsewhere.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Uh oh. Wonder if I should return mine. Are you gonna try yours? If there's a chance of no drop-outs, I'll probably take a risk and open if. If they're all affected, that's a different story.

10. MikeT

I am going to try mine ASAP, just never seem to get around to it. I am keeping mine regardless since 1) It may never be available again on Blu-Ray and 2) all copies are affected with the same dropout from what I understand.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ya really think so? I woulda thought that since all the "hurdles" have been cleared to get this one out, there's no reason why it won't be re-pressed (re-released?) sometime soon.

If you don't mind, please try out your TrueHD track (transcoded to DTS I realize) and let me know what you find out. Thanks.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ah nevermind, I cracked mine open and put it in. There is indeed an ~8 second dropout near the beginning of Moby Dick on the TrueHD track. Oh well! Actually, maybe Warner will offer a replacement program. If not, no biggie.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Incidentally I found out recently that Delicious Library does a great job of scanning BluRays...in case any members are looking into cataloging software.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ah heck, I just pre-ordered the HD DVD version from Amazon to go with my Bluray. Besides I needed something to bump up that David Gilmour Bluray over $25 from free ship, and my 10% BD/HD DVD offer expires in a few days :p

Note the shipping date: :laugh:

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

$19.09 at tower.com, but you'll need to order something else along with it to get free shipping. This is where I bought mine, and I received it promptly... by something called "Global Mail" whatever that is.

url:

[noparse]http://www.tower.com/details/details.cfm?wapi=111331139[/noparse]

16. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Is BD = Bluray Disc ??? :help: :confused:

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

yep

BD is printed on the top spine label on the disk cases

18. MikeT

Call them and find out. :p I can't see how they would be offering a replacement since it has "officially" been delayed even though a boatload of these discs (both BD and HD-DVD) seem to have made it to certain retail outlets.

And if the discs are actually "officially" released at some time, you wonder if they would fix this error - and if they do, would they switch out a disc you technically weren't supposed to be able to buy in the first place??????? :confused:

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I don't know how a 8s dropout isn't a biggie. Even 1s would annoy me.

20. MikeT

I assume you only pre-ordered the disc to get the free shipping on the Gilmour BD, since as of right now Amazon will never ship your HD-DVD. :D Will the pre-order on the HD-DVD hold up the shipping on the Gilmour BD?

21. MikeT

It is a big deal, but since this disc has been "officially" delayed (i.e., may never actually be re-released at all or corrected) - is it better to have it on BD than not? You can always listen to the DD track when approaching Moby Dick so that you don't get the dropout. I know with the BD pop-up menus I can usually change audio streams on the fly with my Panasonic BR player.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Speaking of amazon shipping tricks. Here's one I just learned. Add something to your order that is not shippable by USPS, for example a liquid of some kind. Then the order gets shipped by ground (DHL or UPS).

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Any idea what number I should call? I would imagine they'd offer a replacement regardless... it's obvious several hundred (thousands?) of discs made it "out".

Ah, life is short. I could always switch over to the Dolby Digital track from that song. Besides all the drumming in Moby Dick usually has me reaching for the fast forward button at some point ;)

Yeah, I needed something to bump Gilmour over $25. Amazon says my order will arrive in two shipments, I'm assuming Gilmour will ship out soon. Why don't you think these will be eventually released? I know the Amazon date is 2010/indefinite, but it's obvious that all the mastering/artwork/production/licensing is done for these. They should be able to just turn on another run of these whenever they're ready.

24. MikeT

I assume you could try Warner Home Video at 1-800-364-6928.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Santa just brought a whole pile o' Blu-Rays. I'm looking forward to watching the new edition of Close Encounters (allegedly with a new 2007 Spielberg interview), the 5-disc Blade Runner, 2001, and The Simpsons. I noted the latter claims to have the new lossless HD soundtrack, so we'll see how that sounds.

The Simpsons movie was all done from digital files (no film), so I bet it looks spectacular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.