What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was all excited to get the blu-ray of "Sideways" till I read that the transfer and the extras, weren't that good. It's too bad because I thought that would be a great one, visually, for a blu-ray title. Another one that I'm kind of pumped for, is the upcoming blu-ray of "South Pacific" on 20th Century Fox. By what I've read it should be full of extras and also feature the original theater presentation of the film? Any thoughts about this one, from you guys and gals?

Chris C

2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I read a story about how Blu Ray prices are dropping:

http://dvdreview.com/news/viewnews.asp?id=10927

& this could be a good thing. The concern I have though is that these lower price titles will be "movie / trailer only" titles which will exclude bonus features exclusive to Blu Ray. I also hope they don't promote "web content exclusives" on these budget titles. Web content always has an expiration date & becomes useless.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Hmmm, I'll wait and see which titles see a price drop, and how much the price drop is (and also, as you say, what the content of the releases ends up being).

Dropping the list price on a handfull of catalog titles is better than nothing, but "The Omega Man" at a DVD-level price is one thing. I want to know when we'll stop seeing new releases at Best Buy and Target for "only $26.99" or "only $29.99."

I don't mind if they find a way to market some barebones movie BD releases for cheaper, especially if they are unable or unwilling to produce bonus features. "BD-Live" stuff seems rather superfluous most of the time to me, and I'd rather see them drop the price on some releases by eliminating the "Digital Copy" and things like that, or at least having and option to get a cheaper BD-only package.

4. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

I picked up "Transporter 3" and "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" this week.

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sideways looked pretty good to me. It doesn't have beaucoups of extras. The annoying thing about it for me was one of the times I played it was on my Sony 300, which is short on processing power, and it took about three and a half minutes to load the feature. The disc is loaded with Java junk and proably BD+ too. It was faster to load on the Panasonic 35.

I'd worry about Fox's deep, catalog titles like South Pacific. They've been hit and miss on those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.