What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcow1, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

Time for a new one.

To view part 3 go here

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My thanks to Rachael Bee for the final post in "Part 3" of this on-going thread. I respect your information, as I know that you've spent a lot on these formats. Since you mentioned that FOX has been hit or miss on their classic back titles, I'll have to read some reviews regarding that upcoming FOX "South Pacific" Blu-ray, before I buy. As for "Sideways", I have read a bunch of reviews that all claim that the Blu-ray transfer has a lot of grit in the picture, that was not as easily viewed on the DVD version. I also read that the extras were basically the same extras that were on the DVD, so I guess that there is no real reason for me to bother with it, even though I personally LOVE this crazy movie?

Chris C

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Chris, thanks for the kind words. :)

Now, I'm mad at the Sideways BD. I up'ed my mom Samsung 1000 to firmware to v. 1.9 today. I took Sideways as a test disc after I was finished since I thought it would be a good test given all the Fox Java authoring and BD+. I could not play it.

My mom's 1080i HDTV from '02 has no HDMI inputs. After loading for about 90 seconds each time, it came back with an on-screen icon telling me to switch to HDMI... :realmad: F'n Fox may have unleased the ICT Flag?

Fox seems way more concerned about kopy-poofing than video quality. We get stake-of-the-art Poofing from them, that's guaranteed. Their prints are hit or miss....more hits than misses.

They don't seem to be working at purr-fecting their BD's like say, Sony & Warner are. They don't seem to go the extra miles that some others will, consistently.

As for Sideways the film, I think it is a bit gritty looking. It seems to be part of the look of this film. I'm so mad today that now I wish I hadn't bought a copy. It certainly looks better than the DVD, hands down, to me. I don't wanna buy BD's that I can't loan to my mom. :shake:

Hollywood's and most especially Fox's obcession with poofing is really starting to annoy me.....then again, Samsung's firmware might be excrement....? I'm just miff'ed by this day's Blu events....

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Did the disk play before upgrading the firmware?

5. Rachael Bee

I didn't try it priorly. I'd bet it wouldn't have. That's a safe bet! :laugh:

6. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Picked up The Transporter from BB tonight.

7. The ICT would only mean it would play at 480p or 480i over component, not that it won't load. I returned my BD-P1000 for warranty repair because it wouldn't load so many recent releases. The purchase price was refunded and I moved on.

Chris

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: Played this for the first time last night on the Pioneer BDP-05FD. The voices sounded so muddy I turned on the captioning to help me understand the words. Movie is only average in entertainment value. Probably could have passed on it.

9. Rachael Bee

I'm calling Samsung tomorrow.

I rented Milk and viewed it last night. I really enjoyed it. I might own it eventually, on the cheap?

10. Rachael Bee

I'd say it's the best movie I've ever seen about mental hospitals. I bloody love it. I sure had no problemas con audia.

11. If you have an extended warranty on it, I would say see what you can get done.

Chris

12. Rachael Bee

No warranty....but I'm gonna tell them this deck has N-E-V-E-R worked suitably with any firmware it's had. It's choked so many BD's, proably 30% ever inserted in it. I've been afraid to send BD's over to my mom and not have them choke out! :realmad:

I'm gonna give my mom my Sony 300. It may take forever to load Fox's discs and some other Java wonders but it bloody plays....back!

If I get no satisfaction from Samsung, I may video tape myself shooting it with a gun and post it on U-Tube...? There's a forum memeber here with a lovin' name but who's a killer at heart. I may offer him the part of triggerman? :D My real calling is directing, I feel...

....the name of my video if it happens, hmnnn.....maybe Attack Of The Blu-ray Players That Don't Play Blu-rays.... a little long-ish but.....

13. I'd go with "Almost Blu"... or "Blu in 45magnum"

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Anyone going to be buying steelbook Bond disks from amazon.com? Best Buy had them last time but not this time. I wonder who's next after amazon.

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Played French Connection last night. I probably wouldn't have noticed anything wrong about the color if I hadn't read about it. So don't let that stop you from buying the movie.

Now of course the movie itself may stop you from buying it. It's too short at 1 hour and 45 minutes, just ends suddenly and wasn't all that entertaining. My favorite part was seeing all the old cars in it.

16. I must say you are a little harsh on a couple of the 70's best films. I paid to see both of these in theaters and thought both were excellent.

Chris

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well at least I liked Vanishing Point.

I ordered Goldfinger from overseas. Cheaper that way. Probably will receive it sooner too.

Looks like I'm no longer collecting the steel cases for the Bond disks, but at least I don't have to worry about dents.

18. Rachael Bee

The Samsung dude told me he'd report that their current firmware won't play the latest Fox titles....LIttle Miss Sunshine & Sideways for me. I gave my mom my Sony 300 so she could play the discs I lend her.

I am damn tempted to shoot up that 1000! Film at 11.... :laugh: For the time being, it's not dead but it's resting.

Quo Vadis came in from Amazonia today. It starts in a few minutes...

19. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Picked up Transporter 3 BD from BB.

20. Samsung has the worst reputation for a lot of their stuff. They make it in volume hoping to make up for the poor quality control by making as many as possible. They figure there will be a certain amount of returns but will continue to do well because the majority of their stuff will work OK.

I'm not surprised about the firmware. I moved mine upstairs and replaced the main one with the Sony some time ago.

21. Rachael Bee

I have a friend that got burgled this winter and just got a new HDTV. I may give mine to him. I'm just afraid he'll hate me for giving him the POS. :laugh:

22. Ha, well there aren't many products so bad that getting it for free isn't a good deal, but the Samsung BD-P1000 might come close. Do you ever try resetting the memory when a disc won't load? Just guessing here but I believe that results in better than 95% of all releases loading and playing properly. I am not saying 95% is good and the percentage of newer releases is much lower which makes it a terrible choice for a player to use for rentals but as a second player it might not be totally worthless. My Samsung BD-P1200 was out of warranty when I got fed up with it so I still have it. It is about the same or a little better in terms of loading and problem free playback percentage and when I had it connected I would try twice and if it wouldn't load, I moved the disc to the PS3. Someone at AVSForums is keeping track of which titles don't load for the BD-P1200 and reporting it to Samsung although I can't tell that is helping any. If firmware is ever available that makes the BD-P1200 worth owning, I am going to sell the stupid thing. As is, I won't sell it or give it away.

Chris

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, looks like I'm banned from posting on the high def digest forum. I'm still waiting for them to ask me if I care.

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Problems at Hi Def Digest? Seems like an innocuous site.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

25. Rachael Bee

What'd ya do? ....disrespect a classic movie...? :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.