What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcow1, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Lost Season 5 on Blu-Ray

Received the set in standard DVD for Christmas, took it to Best Buy (where I think it was bought) and traded up. They also matched the Costco price so I was only $8 out of pocket :)

2. "Jennifer's Body"-horrible movie.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

On BD I got Julie & Julia and Angels & Demons. I guess it was just a "&" kind'a day.

4. Finally broke down and purchased a flat screen TV (Samsung 46 inch LCD) and a Sony Blu-ray BDP-S360 player this past Sunday.

The Blu-Ray discs look amazing.

The Band - The Last Waltz - $10 :righton:
    Casablanca
    The Rolling Stones - Live At The Max
    The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970

Unfortunately my 100+ DVD collection and the "snail mail" satellite TV signal look like $hite now. Almost worse than the difference back in the day, between DVD and VHS. :thumbsdn: The current Motorola satelllite box that I have does not have an HDMI output. I've been told that an HDMI output could slightly improve the signal.

Going to be forced to upgarde to an HD satelite box and subscribe very expensively, to all the high-def channels.

Do Blu-ray discs suffer from the same region issues as DVD?

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, but check the calender: it's 2010. I have a garage-full of Laserdiscs and Betamax tapes, too, but I wouldn't start a discussion thread about them.

D-Theater (aka D-VHS) was a bad idea, it's been dead for five years, and it was a terrible concept just to try to flog VHS' dying corpse into making a little more money for JVC. I'm sympathetic that you bought into it, but at some point, you have to accept it was a mistake and to move on.

It could have been worse: you could've invested in HD-DVD as well. I'm generally not that successful at picking loser formats from the start, but I was right on that one. I went with Blu-ray only because it had denser storage and made sense from a technical point of view; it's a miracle that it won the format war.

Latest Blu-ray for me: Robocop, which was a disappointment because of zero extras. Also rented District 9, which was an interesting idea -- essentially a remake of The Fly crossed with a few other alien invasion movies -- but it's one ugly-looking film. Great effects, terrible photography. Excellent disc overall, though.

6. Rachael Bee

I have zero regrets about getting D-VHS. I stille make some D-VHS tapes. I stille have have movies on D-Theater that are not available in HD any other way. I got 65 films in HD from '02-'04. What's to regret?

I must admit it was a huge mistake to get and watch HD movies years before most folks!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I got spoiled by the D-5 master quality..... :goodie: Mistakes are a turr-able thang to make....!

7. If you think those Blu-rays look good, wait until you see the best Blu-ray has to offer. A bit of self-promotion since I am prominent contributor to it, but check out the Picture Quality Tiers for a fully-ranked list of Blu-rays based on high-definition appeal:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342
    Maybe you could join in the discussion on it once you get comfortable with your new Sony player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17890316#post17890316

Region-coding is completely different for Blu-ray than it was for dvd. The good news is that most films are presented at 1080p/24 frames per second, as they should be, meaning they can play anywhere in the world if the disc is region-free. Use the following site to determine if an import is region-free or not:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

A majority of Blu-rays are region-free and should play on your Sony, but some percentage will not play because they are Region B-only discs. Region B is mainly Europe, while the U.S. and Canada are Region A. There are only three regions on Blu-ray: A, B, and C. Region C can be ignored unless you have a strong interest in Bollywood movies.

8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Spike Lee brings together a band of Academy Award winners for an intertaining bank heist movie.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Actually this is one of my favorite of Spike's films even if it does have "blockbuster" written all over it and doesn't have Spike's characteristic style and flavor.

10. Hazuki

Hazuki Active Member

The stunning Ghost in the Shell 2.0 in Blu-Ray format:

[​IMG]

11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Unfortunately, still a relevant story. An improvement on my DVD.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

One of the better PQs in my collection.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I could not resist the $35 price for Lost Season 5 on BD at Best Buy this week. The BD-Live features look interesting, but I might be playing hookey from Lost University until I have a lot more free time on my hands. :)

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good price :agree:

Future Shop here in Canada has it for $44.99 right now.

I'm heading back to Best Buy for a price match (I paid $58.99, which was itself a Costco price match).
    Proves the best deals aren't always on Boxing Day.

15. Rachael Bee

Surely Fight Club and Raging Bullwere on sale Boxing Day? :laugh:

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

24 Season 7 on Blu-Ray

17. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

The Day After Tomorrow (BD)

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

"Hero" on Blu-Ray, one of my favorite movies. Picture quality is great, but audio quality is OFF THE HOOK. Wonderful listening experience.

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I like this movie so I bought it from Walmart ($12.). Looks very nice! I wish they'd release "Armageddon" & "The Abyss" (Director's Cuts or at least included) so I can put it with "The Day After Tomorrow", "Deep Impact" & "Independence Day". Any other "end of the world" type movies anyone can recommend?

20. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I bought mine from Wal-Mart too (for $12).:)

21. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

"Inglorious Basterds" Blu-Ray and "Godfather" trilogy Blu-Ray.

22. Felon, The International, Duplicity, What Doesn't Kill You, Dodgeball, Flight of the Phoenix, Perfect Stranger.

The preceding movies were picked up used except for Dodgeball. Felon is a surprisingly good movie, with a great performance by Val Kilmer.

23. Rachael Bee

I got Moon on BD.

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Hope to get this from Netflix soon.

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.