What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by darkmatter, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

2. darkmatter

Attached Files:

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I sure wish a Gort could take the "D-Theater" and "HD-DVD" out of this thread subject. Ain't a lotta those being sold in 2010. To me, it's simply, "what Blu-ray discs have you gotten lately?"

(I don't even like the word "gotten." "Seen" works a lot better.)

Just watched Up on Blu-ray, and thought it was a beautifully-made film. When I found out that those bizarre mountains in South America are real, with the live-action shots in the documentary, I was stunned. That stuff looks like some impossible planet somewhere, far beyond earth, from some whacked-out artist's imagination. Incredible that all of it was based on a real place.

I also found the first 15 minutes of the movie very emotional and moving. Anybody who's been through a relationship and can sit through that and not get a little teary-eyed has got a heart of stone. I didn't like the rest of the film as much, but there are great things in Up, and I'm again impressed with what Pixar can do with such a unique, unusual idea and characters. Really good sound design and mix, too.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Now don't go getting all obsessive-compulsive on us...:laugh:

Honestly now, tell me you're not living a secret life as an Anglish Grammur teacher...? :)

5. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

yay, Weeds Season 5!

holla ubsman!

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Abba - The Movie
    Trading Places

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

This really did not age well for me. Two versions to go. :help:

Attached Files:

8. The original (or the "trimmed" version of it that Spielberg did for the Blu-ray/DVD) version has aged best but it's still uneven and a bit awkwardly structured.

9. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

latest acquisitions:

Star Trek Season 3 Blu Ray

Inglorious Basterds (the recent remake with Brad Pitt) Blu Ray

A_L

10. darkmatter

Got it but haven't watched it yet :)

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I watched mine a couple of weeks ago. I still love it.

12. I will sound off in support, as the thread title has been a little irritating for awhile.

My Bloody Valentine and Quarantine are two recent purchases on Blu-ray (just to make it clear to everyone I did not buy the D-Theater tapes of them;)).

13. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

B.B. King - Live.

I'd say this one is for fans only. This was shot over a few nights in his club with good PQ & SQ. I've been a fan for years but he has NO voice left. It was nice seeing him get some luv from old & new fans alike but I hope this isn't how how the first-timers remember him. I've seen him since this was shot and he sounded stronger.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I finally picked up Season Two of "Pushing Daisies" on BD and watched the one episode I missed from its broadcast run (The "Curly Sue" homage wher Olive reunites with her "kidnappers"). It is visually spectacular. It sounds great too, but lossless audio would have been even better.

Regards,

15. Four imports from the U.K. showed up a couple of days ago: Butterfly On A Wheel, X-Men 2, Flame and Citron, Saints & Soldiers. All of them but X-Men 2 have not and are unlikely to ever be released in the U.S.

16. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Status Quo-Live at Montreux 2009,Willie Nelson And Wynton Marsalis Play The Music Of Ray Charles,Santana Presents Blues At Montreux 2004

17. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Just bought a refurb. Toshiba XA1 and got Spartacus:thumbsup:, Swordfish, A Mighty Heart, Blood Diamond, Norbit, Talk To Me and Transformers with it. I'm curious about all of them except Transformers.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The XA1 is a monster of a unit. I have a XA2. btw.....Transformers looks spectacular in HD-DVD.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think CE3K has not aged well, and I'm a huge Spielberg fan. To tell you the truth, I think the best Spielberg films are often those either set in the past or in the future; the contemporary Spielberg films -- Jaws, CE3K, E.T., etc. -- all seem very dated to me, very much stuck in those eras. There are exceptions, like the Jurassic Park films, where not as much happens in a contemporary setting (mostly in the jungle, etc.).

Strange that there's still a lot of Spielberg films not yet out on Blu-ray.

Gee, excuse me for being literate. [​IMG]

20. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

King Arthur on Blu-ray.

21. Rachael Bee

You don't have to 'pollerjize to me for being bright and educated! I think you've far away demonstrated that you're ready and capable to take my twelve part symposium in three E-Z lessons, Ling'n'bling Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Spelting Baum. :laugh:

That little red guy, does he bite. He looks as hungry as Billy The Mountain? :laugh: :)

The mail is running late today.....maybe my care package from the U.K. will come yet? Pla-ease-eee!

22. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I'm with you here, Vidiot. I watched CE3K as a kid and really liked it. Watched it again on blu a month ago or so, and I like some of it, but large parts of it seemed like pulling teeth. Much of it was just long and slow and annoying. Sense of wonder, which existed way back then, was not enough to pull it through for me now.

I think one of Spielberg's best is AI--because it's this weird mix that alters Spielberg's sometimes cloying sweetness, but also moderates Kubrick's almost nihilistic grimness. Imho, anyway...Haven't seen it on blu...or is it on blu?

23. Rachael Bee

It's not on Blu yet but could well be anytime soon I suppose. It shows in HD. I have it on my Tivo but have not cued it up yet. I might have grabbed it off HBO... I like it too... :agree:

24. I actually like "A.I" quite a bit as well the two sensabilities balance each other out. Jude Law is great in the film.

25. That is not unusual, as Spielberg has almost complete control on most of his movies. The final decision ultimately rests with him, as Universal executives have to beg and cajole him to give permission to release them on any home video format.

When they asked him for permission to release some of his movies on HD DVD, he flat out refused. The famous ones will come out when the Blu-ray market is sufficiently big enough to support catalog sales in the millions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.