What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Captain America, The First Avenger" - I was impressed by this movie because I never read the comic books so it was new to me. Very entertaining & highly recommended.

"Cars 2" - Being a Disney fan I had to add this to my collection. Pixar is a company I can trust because of their incredible track record. Haven't seen it yet though.

"Robinson Crusoe On Mars" - This is a movie I always loved from my childhood & With Barnes & Noble having a 50% off special on Criterion titles, I was so lucky to get this & the next title for around $45. I'm looking forward to revisiting this old classic.

"Videodrome" - The second Criterion title & one I always wanted to see but never got a chance to. I'm gonna set aside some time for this one right away.

"Harry Potter Complete 8 Film Collection" - I had bought the first three movies but when word came that there would be more installments I decided to hold off until they finnished & get the series on DVD. Since I do have a Blu-Ray player I obviously had to go Blu. I might plan a two day marathon with this one.

Any input about the movies above would be greatly appreciated & may even sway my decision as to what order I watch them.

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

3. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

2 for 1

These double feature sales are suckering me in!

First I got Cate Blanchett starring as Queen Elizabeth in Elizabeth & Elizabeth The Golden Age for 10.99! I saw the first movie years ago and thought it was good. Haven't seen the second yet but I have hopes.

Today I got Gladiator extended cut blu for $13.99, and they threw in the blu of Braveheart basically for free...

both from amzn with free shipping from prime...

4. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Carlos 2010

Director: Olivier Assayas

Actors: Edgar Ramirez, Alexander Scheer, Alejandro Arroyo, Fadi Abi Samra, Ahmad Kaabour

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Out of Sight 1998

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Actors: George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Dennis Farina, Albert Brooks, Catherine Keener

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

Sneakers (1992) HD-DVD
    Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection (1940-1948) Bluray
    Summer Wars (2009) Bluray

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Received The Walking Dead - 3-disc Special Edition and the Aliens vs. Predator - Unrated 2-pack (Aliens vs. Predator and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem) from Amazon.com today.

Viewed my Italian "They Live" BD yesterday evening, really leaves you wanting for more as far as PQ is concerned. I was prepared for it though so not a shocker. Dialogue was a bit low and difficult to pick up. Been a while since I last saw it and didn't have it on DVD so it was still a fun re-visit and I will certainly give this a spin or two despite it's shortcomings. If this ever gets a decent BD release I'll be all over it.

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Is anybody else ordering the Mysterious Island BD from Screen Archives? If they hold to their 3000 copies claim, surely this is gonna be one rare and coveted title...??? If some larger studio cannot release it again later, the bidding for trade copies could get mighty I-N-S-A-N-E ....as Crazy Eddy!

I remember seeing the film back in the 60's and being somewhat amused by it. I'm sure I'll still get somewhat of a kick out of the Ray Harrycreature stop-motion dinosaurs.

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

The Shining 1980

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Actors: Jack Ncholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Joe Turkel

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Rachael Bee

Mysterious Island came in today.

11. mischling

mischling Forum Resident

Thanks - that's settled it then!
    I'm continually astonished how good the pre-1960 films look on blu-ray. Just watched Black Narcissus and it looked stunning!

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

13. Rachael Bee

Black Narcissus looks great no matter whether it's the ITV or the Criterion version. One studio to look out for is HD Classics. They've released Kansas City Confidential and one other title that I'm not recalling. Well, both look dreadful due to horrid noise reduction.

14. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

In the past week we've gotten HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 and I managed to take advantage of the STANLEY KUBRICK BLU-RAY SET on Amazon's Deal Of The Day special.

That was a no-brainer, as I'd been looking at getting both LOLITA and BARRY LYNDON as Blu-Ray titles, since both are finally anamorphic. I was looking to upgrade these two from old WB snapper DVDs, and almost spent the $20 on just these two, when along came the deal of the day.

The only double-dipping I had to do, format-wise, was on 2001 - *always* the first film I buy in any new format.

Harry

15. "The Frighteners" and "Farscape: The Complete Series". "Farscape" looks surprising good considering the source used--they did a good job of upscaling it digitally "filling" it out.

16. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

$9.99 today at Amazon!:goodie:

17. Already ordered and have. It looks terrific (I started a thread on it). My only complaint--I would have liked to see the featurette ported over from the DVD edition and more special features but...hey, it's a GREAT looking BD for it's age.

Not much in the way of dinosaurs in the movie...giant bees, giant chick, undersea beast...giant volcano and Captain Nemo (a pity that he the script didn't develop more of his character and I would have loved to see the Nautilus in action but, it is what it is)....

18. Rachael Bee

Before the BD, the last time I'd seen the movie was on the 4 p.m. movie back in the 60's. I knew there were big creatures but really couldn't remember what.

Most of Jules Verne's stories haven't fared well when made into motion pictures. Mysterious Island sure came out better than Master Of The World, at very least. The effects in Master Of...are too pathetic for words to describe nearly.

The Return Of Captain Nemo.... there's a film to pitch or The League Of Pirates Versus The Extraordinary Captain Nemo... :laugh: Anyways, they sound better to be than most of what passes for entertainment lately.

19. Atari265278

Don't forget the giant crab!:righton:

[​IMG]

20. Rachael Bee

I was there for all you can eat at the Mysterious Crab Shack! :laugh:

BD's in today from Amazonia, los Amigos Tres, Three Amigos...I feel like a little buttercup already! I also got Brides Maids.

21. Rachael Bee

I got X-Men First Class in today....what the heck it was only $10.

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

What a bargain for a great movie! I really enjoyed it!

23. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

The Horse Soldiers 1959

Director: John Ford

Actors: William Holden, Hoot Gibson, John Wayne, Ken Curtis, Constance Towers

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  24. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Received "Some Like It Hot" the other day and "Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn - 25th Anniversary Edition" today from Amazon.com. Looks like it'll be a deadite-trilogy this weekend, with my Hong Kong Region 3 Army of Darkness DVD filling in for a still not available satisfactory BD.

25. Atari265278

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.