What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I enjoyed "The Three Amigos" but man did it have a lot of compression artifacts particularly early on.

2. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You gotta love these $5 deals with free shipping from Best Buy!:)

3. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Scored three MAD MEN blu-ray sets from Amazon for an incredibly low price of $8.99 each. Also bought Dr. No and Night of the Creeps for $10 ea.

From Deep Discount I bought The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Daughters of Darkness.

4. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Three Colors: Blue 1993

Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski

Actors: Juliette Binoche, Benoît Régent, Florence Pernel, Charlotte Véry, Hélène Vincent, Philippe Volter, Claude Duneton, Hugues Quester, Emmanuelle Riva, Florence Vignon, Jacek Ostaszewski, Catherine Therouenne, Yann Trégouët, Isabelle Sadoyan, Pierre Forget

Attached Files:

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Yesterday at Walmart I got "Red Riding Hood-Alternate Cut (BR,DVD,DC) for $10 & "Ice Age-A Mammoth Christmas Special" (BR,DVD,DC) for $8. That was enough for me this week.

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

[​IMG]

Enjoyed it very much. The Born This Way acapella version during the credits is great!

7. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Black Friday at Amazon.com meant I've added quite the list of films:

- Dr. No
    - For Your Eyes Only
    - From Russia with Love
    - Inception
    - Jackie Brown (really not a fan of the PQ but for $3.99 the extras on it will complement the Dutch BD I have on order)
    - License to Kill
    - Live and Let Die
    - The Man with the Golden Gun
    - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    - Moonraker
    - The Outlaw Josey Wales
    - Showgirls
    - Stand By Me
    - Thunderball
    - The World is Not Enough

From Amazon.co.uk:
    - Jurassic Park

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You're gonna LOVE this ! :cheers:

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Three Colors: White 1994

Actors: Zbigniew Zamachowski, Julie Delpy, Janusz Gajos, Jerzy Stuhr, Aleksander Bardini, Grzegorz Warchoł, Cezary Harasimowicz, Jerzy Nowak, Jerzy Trela, Piotr Machalica, Teresa Budzisz-Krzyzanowska

Attached Files:

10. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Watched my blu of The Cider House Rules last night. Powerful film with a wonderful cast. Some disturbing issues and themes, but overall uplifting by the end, imho. Fine pq of the beautiful Maine setting. John Irving adapted the novel himself, and did a wonderful job. Excellent direction and photography. Overall, a winner if you can stand the issues brought up in this one...

This one did pretty well box office for the kind of movie it is:

The Cider House Rules

Domestic Total Gross: $57,545,092
    Distributor: Miramax Release Date: December 10, 1999
    Genre: Period Drama Runtime: 2 hrs. 5 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $24 million
    Domestic: $57,545,092 65.0%
    + Foreign: $31,000,000 35.0%
    = Worldwide: $88,545,092

11. Atari265278

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

$4 each with free shipping from Best Buy!:goodie:

12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Three Colors: Red 1993

Actors: Irène Jacob, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Frédérique Feder, Jean-Pierre Lorit, Samuel Le Bihan, Teco Celio, Jean Schlegel, Elzbieta Jasinska, Paul Vermeulen, Roland Carey

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Atari265278

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

"This Is It" - I like MJ more than I thought I did.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I’m finally starting to get into the small cache of Blus I picked up over the last couple weeks of pretty nice prices. Picked up the Best Buy-exclusive “Citizen Kane” Digibook set, the went back a few days ago and had it price matched from $34.99 to $10.99.

Also got the “Jurassic Park” BD set from Amazon after they kept lowering the price. This will be fun to enjoy. I’ve probably seen the first one all the way through a few times, but I’m not even sure I’ve seen II or III from beginning to end. It’s always one of those “caught the second half on TV” sort of things.

I’m not a Tarantino aficionado by any means, but managed to pick up “Pulp Fiction” and “Jackie Brown” on blu; it was too tempting to get them both at $3.99. More schlock comes in the form of “Independence Day”, which I also grabbed on Amazon for $4.99.

Also just enjoyed “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” on Blu (apparently for the moment still another Best Buy “exclusive”).

One that completely flew under the radar was the Dixie Chicks’ “VH1 Storytellers” which randomly materialized on BD. Picked that up at Best Buy as well (for some reason, Amazon is still stuck at $26.99 on this one). It looked nice for a 2006 show in 1080i.

Upgraded to BD for “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” via Amazon. The reviews on this one seem to be pretty bleh in terms of video quality, but it’s an improvement over the DVD, and that’s good enough for now I suppose. I think this one was shot to be a bit soft-looking.

Picked up “The Collector” on BD as a gift for someone, so I don’t get to see that one for awhile. :)

Oh, and almost forgot that I got Criterion’s BD of “12 Angry Men.” I forgot how this one has a strong layer of grain throughout. Looks really nice, though, as it should. The extras on this one really pushed me to upgrade to BD right away, especially the inclusion of the 1954 TV version. Lots of good stuff to go through on this one.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I got a pair of Warner's BD books for $11 each, The Exorcist & The Green Mile.

18. ferdinandhudson

My jaw dropped when I saw those prices announced, has made me re-evaluate my "no more than $20" limit. Think I may have to lower it somewhat... I could have saved some money had I waited those out (and a few more) a bit longer.

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Many times you need only wait a few weeks for the prices to fall. Usually, it more like a few months. The whole process seems to be speeding up the deeper we get into this format.

I used to think $20 too but I took that down to $15. I'll seldom pay $20 unless it's a new movie or something I think will end up rare like Mysterious Island and Fright Night, the original.

Still....I lose my patience on occasion.

20. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Pulp Fiction 1994

Directors: Quentin Tarantino

Actors: John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Tim Roth

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  21. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

Back to the future (1985)
    Back to the future II (1989)
    Back to the future III (1990)

[​IMG]

22. ferdinandhudson

Watched "Jurassic Park" last night from my recently acquired BD set and still not amused with how Universal treats their catalogue titles. Audio is fine even if it isn't the theatrical mix. At least they've toned down on the wax jobs like the "Back to the Future" titles, I'll give them that. ET and Jaws are coming up next year and if they can't do right by JP then I have little hope for these two.

23. Atari265278

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Attached Files:

25. Atari265278

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.