What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Moody Blues -Lovely to See You in HD-DVD and Roy Orbison-Black and White Night-HD-DVD from Amazon @16.95 each.

2. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I got a copy of the "Song Remains The Same" from Buy.com off of ebay (buy it now) who had about 14 copies available around twenty three dollars each. Here is another seller who has one available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Led-Zeppelin-Th...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

3. Thanks I realized my mistake (Paramount=HD-DVD, Fox=Blu-ray) immediately but my fingers and my brain just didn't connect.

It does, indeed, look terrific and since the extras probably WON"T be in 1080i immediately, I suppose I'll give my first two discs of the DVD to my brother and keep the last two for myself from the set with the original box. I just hate having video duplicates.

Be ware that some editions of Blade Runner on blu-ray have the work print version labels with the Final Cut instead. Also some edition s have a problem with the doc stopping and starting.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Thanks for that info, but I actually manged to pick up a copy at Borders the day after I posted the question. It was officially delayed, but copies made it onto the market anyway. Some forums are reporting that the Dolby TruelHD track has two audio drop-outs that can distinctly be heard during Moby Dick, and that is why the disc was delayed. Since I have yet to play my copy I haven't been able to check that out yet, but if it does have this "defect", I will have to discern how bad it is for me to possibly pruchase another copy when it is re-released.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I picked up my first HD-DVD today - "Apollo 13" used for $10. I don't even have a player yet but figured I'd have some product ready to watch when I do get it.

6. MikeT

"Apollo 13" was one of the choices in the "Get 5 Free HD-DVD discs" when I purchased my first HD-DVD player. It was actually one of the titles I choose, but haven't watched yet. Since it is no longer offered as one of the 5 free HD-DVD discs it would seem to be a good buy at $10.00.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

That seems to apply only to the blu-ray version, so if you bought the HD DVD version you've got yourself a good disk. I haven't received mine (HD DVD) from tower.com yet, but it is in route.

8. Does anybody know how the studios are deciding which movies they offer in their five for one deal with either format? I'd be curious since some are not exactly**ahem**top shelf movies.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Picked up Kingdom of Heaven on sale for $13.99 at Fry's.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think that may be exactly **ahem**, why they choose them. :D

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Actually there are some great titles like The Patriot and Pirates of the Caribbean.

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The Big Hit is something that never should have been made, that's for sure. Why is it on blu-ray. This is a $5 movie at best. Probably what I'll get when I trade it in at FYE.

update: That was a good guess. I just looked it up. It is worth exactly $5. The superbit version is worth 25 cents.

I looked up the Van Wilder blu-ray. It's worth $1 if I trade it in at FYE. That's store credit, not cash.

13. Pinknik, interestingly the "Final Cut" of "Blade Runner" has that line replaced with "I want more life father".

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What line are you referring to?

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

I think this is mainly a Canadian problem from what I've read over at AVS Forum. I haven't been to the documentary yet. It's a big set....

16. MikeT

Nope - I have it on Blu-Ray. Well I will have to check it out and see what happens with the TrueHD track. I will keep the disc regardless, since it will probably be hard to find in the coming weeks if at all. Maybe I will also spring for the HD-DVD if I can find one, or I will just wait to see if it is re-released and get a new copy then.

17. Rachael Bee

It can only be when replicant Rutger meets his daddy-o, well, his donor-programmer-inventor at the Tyrell Corporation.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Received today Blade Runner blu-ray from amazon. It was just shipped Saturday, by USPS, so that's pretty good service from the USPS.

Also received today Led Zeppelin Song Remains The Same HD DVD from tower.com.

The only disk that hasn't shown up that's in transit is The Terminator. But the day isn't over with yet, and it's coming by UPS (even though it was free shipping... and not prime "Free" either... I don't have Prime).

19. Oops. I thought that you had the line from Blade Runner that Batty says to Tyrell in at the bottom of your previous post. Must have been someone else...

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Terminator (blu-ray) just showed up from UPS. Now I've got all my orders. Time to order some more. Last chance for the amazon 10% deal which I guess expires on the 31st.

21. Rachael Bee

The last of my bargain Fox BD's, The Fly, trickkled in this afternoon in the Post. I've got a lot of viewing to do to get caught up with my purchases.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Kingdom of Heaven is superb on BluRay. Damn near perfect transfer as far as I can tell. Highly recommended. The battle scenes are magnificent.

23. Rachael Bee

Agreed! a lot of folks don't like the look of this film and don't see it like us. Besides, that some folks were bothered that it was MPEG2 and the before mentioned lack of X-trees. MPEG2 looks as good as anything else if it has higher bit-rates.

I think ya have good eyes here...:thumbsup:

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Played Terminator last night. This was a way better movie than expected. Never had seen it before. For some odd reason I was hearing some audio distortion. Hopefully from the disk, rather than my system. Still a bit traumatized by the buttocal area scene though. The girl is definitely a cutie. Has she been in any other movies?

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Finally found the Blade Runner SE. Will cue up tonight. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.