What Headphones are you folks using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Zal, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD600 for listening at home and Soundmagic E10 for on the move.

2. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

Audeze LCD 2

3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I just got into a pair of IEM's for the first time a few months ago. There was a blowout on Westone W4r IEM's, $299 down from $499. I got them mostly for travel, if I'm on a plane. They sound great, and I've got no problem wearing them for a few hours at a time... The only minor issue is that they definitely sound better with amplification, and that's not ideal when you're walking around at the airport.

I do know what you mean about the over ear styles bugging you after awhile. I get the same way sometimes. Some nights I can wear my HD-600's for 5 hours on end no problem, and other times they drive me nuts after 20 minutes. Weird.

Anyway, here are my headphones now:
    * Sennheiser HD-600 for home listening (with Bottlehead Crack/Speedball amp)
    * Westone W4r IEM's for traveling (Dragonfly DAC/amp if I have my laptop)
    * Sennheiser PX-100 II for walking the dogs, etc... light, comfortable and open.

timind likes this.
  4. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

AKG K240 MKII

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Since my earlier post I upgraded my headphone station's DAC with a Lampizator 3. (My listening room flooded - not enough to damage my equipment but enough to be forced out.) I am currently using AKG k601s. I like other phones including AKG k240s mentioned by more than one other poster, but the 601s sound soooo good right now, I'm unwilling to swap out others even for tests. The one significant benefit over the 240s in my rig is bass management.

6. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Those are nice headphones (I find the pro 35 and pro 40 more comfortable though), as are the Sennheiser HD 600's

7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I just unloaded:

AKG K701
    Sennheiser HD580
    Grado SR80
    Audio Technica ATH-A700

for a pair of AKG K712 and I'm keeping my AKG K271mkII and Etymotic MC-3 w/CustomFit molds.

Bill

8. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I like the Koss Porta Pros a lot. They are better than many top end phones in portable use due to their super efficiency - they seem to require flea power only. My only wish is they were more robust. I've gone through several sets.

9. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

I use Audio Technica ATHM50 which I picked up last Christmas for pretty cheap. Does the job when I want t listen to them.

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Have you taken advantage of the lifetime warrantee? I have...

11. migman

migman Forum Resident

I use a pair of Kenwood KH-K1000. Very neutral sounding headphone.

12. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Have the Grado SR8oi and Sennheiser 558 cans for home use. The latter are the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I can wear them for hours without a hitch.

Portable-wise, I'm still trying to find an ideal headphone after deciding IEMs are not for me ... too hard to find a good seal and keep clean.

13. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I'm not nos300b, but I A/B compared the stock cable to the Cardas cable on my HD580 and the Cardas was a nice upgrade. I now use the Cardas cable with my HD650.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Big ditto on this except in my case it was with HD600's that I upgraded to the Cardas cable. FWIW on my HD800's I first upgraded to the standard Cardas cable on them and again there was an improvement over the stock cable. Then about six months ago (IIRC) Cardas came on with a Clear headphone cable based on there hi-end Clear speaker cable. I decided to give it a try and I got a good discount on it from Music Direct. The Cardas Clear headphone cable has two cables (dedicated left and right cables). The Cardas Clear headphone cables were a bigger improvement over the standard Cardas headphone cable than the improvement the standard Cardas cable made over the stock cable. As you might expect, the Clear cables don't come cheap. :sigh:

jfeldt likes this.
  15. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

AKG K-701's, AKG K-240's AKG K-130's, and a pair of Monoprice cheapies.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  16. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

I had two Sennheiser CX-150 which just took a dive. First pair the bass all but disappeared from the left speaker and my back-up pair (in case anything went wrong with the first pair) also has an issue with the left speaker. So, I jumped in with a pair of Philips SHE3590BK which were $8 online and I'm impressed. Cheap build unfortunately so I can't see them lasting too long but the sound they produce is on par with the 150s. Recommended.

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Now awaiting delivery of a change, albeit not of the "sea" variety, more just an at most minor upgrade. After years of service, my Stax SR-30s gave up the ghost a little earlier this week--the plastic fork holding the left earspeaker finally cracked all the way through and snapped. Not really worth spending $$$ trying to fix, even if that's possible, because the elements have been loose in their housings for some time, and the ribbon cable remains such only because I've patched numerous longitudinal splits with electrical tape. Time to replace, then. By the magic of eBay, bought a pair of SR-40s for a "best offer" of $125 plus $7 shipping--from Slovakia, of all places. They'll mate nicely with the interface box that I already have from my old pair, and I'm assuming the sound will be essentially comparable. I do hope, without much optimism, that they will be more comfortable than the old set, which were really punishing on the ear after a while (physically, not sonically--I liked them enough for the latter quality to put up with the former). I actually toyed with the idea of moving into the Lambda series, as somebody was selling a bottom-end set for around three times what I paid for the SR-40s, but in the end I decided that for a primarily speaker-listening user it just wasn't worth the extra dough.

18. Metalocalypse

Metalocalypse New Member

I use Monster headphones- they have a noise cancelling line that is really awesome. They ran me around $220 on their website, but they were well worth it~

19. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

I have Audio Technica ATH-AD900X... I find them extremely (and horribly) bright, the guy in the shop told me that they are flat and that the treble I was hearing is in the recording. Has anyone else tried these headphones, and have an opinion?

20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

On the road - Koss Porta Pro
    Home/Hi-Fi - Sennheiser HD25 MkII
    Home/Studio - Beyer DT150.

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I tried these when they first came out at a head-fi meet, found them very bright compared to my Senn 600's which I was using at that time.

22. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply.
    The Sennheisers seem to have a treble roll off, or at least that's what they say (i haven't tried them yet); but if that's the case, it may serve my CD collection well, because with the ATH - AD900X, I can't stand 9 out of 10 of the cd's I play; the worst of them all has been "Oranges & Lemons" - XTC (original Virgin CD): I real treble nightmare.

23. sami

sami Mono still rules

Grado SR225

Love 'em.

LeeS likes this.
  24. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

• Grado SR60 at home (with yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads, quarter-modded)
    • Koss Porta Pros (to bring to work, or anywhere I need good portable 'phones ... I love these!)
    • AKG K451 (my least favorite of these three, the highs are quite rolled off ... they're for traveling situations only, in airports, planes, etc. where I need to block background noise)

25. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Lots of cans for different purposes:

• Grado PS500 for critical listening and mixing.
    • Grado SR80 for everyday listening at home.
    • iGrado for iPods
    • AKG K240's for recording monitoring of electric instruments (also used for mixing certain projects)
    • AKG K141's for recording monitoring of vocals
    • Senn HD280 Pro's for recording monitoring of acoustic instruments and drums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.