What Headphones are you folks using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Zal, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireplug

Fireplug Forum Resident

I finally gave in. My 250 ohm dt770 pros came in the post today, and yes, I'm really happy with them :)

2. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

A few months ago an idiot decided to get arrested and also get one of my company's cars impounded, and among his belongings was a nice, almost new pair of AKG K44s, which I now use for either my laptop or the iPod I acquired from our lost and found.

3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

None at the moment. I went to use my ancient (but great-sounding) Pioneer set the other day with the new stereo system I had bought and found the box I kept them in was empty! Of course, none of my kids owns up to 'borrowing' them so I am also looking for a new pair - I'll be reading this thread with great interest.

That 'Mr. Nobody' sure gets around.

4. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

You might want to look at Sennheiser 600 with a 650 cable.A lot of people including myself are happy with that setup.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'd like to get some custom molds made for my Miles Davis Monster in-ears this year.

6. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Portable: Sony MDR 1R
    Home: Denon AHD5000

I like them both very much but find the cable on the Denons a little user unfriendly. The main length of cable is very nice but where it splits in two to go to the individual cups is quite irritating and prone to tangling. Very pretty, though. Like a wood 'phone :righton:

7. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
    The best headphones I have ever heard and owned by far!

8. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Still enjoy my Grado SR80i

RonW likes this.
  9. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Have 2 pairs of ATH m50's , find them comfy,sturdy and pure in sound. Especially for the approximate 100 price.
    Do not know if these are considered audiophile quality but I walk around with a pair and keep a nice Crimson pair for home use...

10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I love mine they never disappoint me.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I heard that Grado has shifted the manufacturing of some headphones offshore. It used to make everything it sold in Brooklyn.

12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I heard something like that but can't be specific. Let's hope nothing changes. I really love their phones they just sound so nice to me personally.

I would like to upgrade further up the line but need to save $$$.$$!

13. wpascoe

wpascoe Forum Resident

I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD800 headphones. I've paired them with the Sennheiser HDVD800 headphone amp and the matching CH800S balanced cable.

One word: Friggin' awesome.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

People do love these phones. I've never heard them.

15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Does anyone have Sennheisers' RS 180 wireless headphones? Thoughts?

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

17. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

I got the Sennheiser HD-800 yesterday from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. I also have the AKG K 702.

I have the Shure SE-846 CL, Etymotic Research ER-4P with the 4S adapter, Ultimate Ears Ue-10 and Ue-18 PRO.

The HD-800 and K 702 are very close. The HD-800 excels in terms of a wider and deeper sound stage with more detail retrieval and resolution while sounding more natural. The K 702 is brighter and it's less refined in terms of smoothness and dynamics are a bit more compressed. I think the K 702 are a terrific value especially if you get them for less than the MSRP. They do compete with four figure priced headphones for a fraction of the cost. I like the fact that both headphones have replaceable headphone cables. I don't believe in aftermarket cables as I think that they are very expensive for little return on investment. I stick with stock cables.

The Shure SE-846 CL are the best in-ear monitors that I've heard so far. They have tremendous and strong bass that doesn't overwhelm the tonal balance and they have terrific passive sound isolation. I was surprised at how much technology was crammed into such a small package that's portable. I find that these are the best in-ear monitors that I currently own.

The most accurate and neutral headphones that I own are the HD-800 and ER-4S. When I want to listen to the music with the fewest sonic compromises, I use these two products. I find that they get closest to natural sound.

18. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Currently using Sennheiser HD-650's. I think it's a great headphone, but sometime in the future I'm going to get HD-800's.

19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Just got Grado Labs SR-80E's last week. Still breaking them in.

20. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I have a pair of Stax Omega II mk. 1 phones and a Blue Hawaii Special Edition amplifier. This weekend, I went to the Washington D.C. area Capital Audiofest which had a big conference room filled with headphone exhibitors. This turned out to be quite interesting. There were a lot of different phones, amps and related electronics on display, and it was pretty easy to "borrow" phones from one display to try on electronics at a completely different display. The headphone exhibitors were all very helpful and low key so auditioning and asking questions was very pleasurable. At one display, I got to hear the Blue Hawaii amp with the same model of phones I own in direct comparison with the newer 009 electrostatic phones. I also got to do a direct comparison with a Sennheiser HE60 phone that someone brought to the show that had been modified to have a Stax plug. This was a very interesting comparison for me. I liked the bass response (power and articulation) of the 009, but, it sounded a bit too prominent and "shouty" in the upper midrange, as compared to the 007 phones (Omega II). Both phones were quite comfortable, the 009 being heavier, but the pads actually felt a little better than that of the 007. The HE60 actually had the most natural sounding tonal balance but sounded a bit more dynamically restrained and not quite lively enough for my taste (a friend later told me that the Blue Hawaii has to be modified to have the right voltage on the diaphragm for the HE60 to sound its best). Overall, none of the three phones really stood out as being clearly better than the others.

I heard several other interesting non-electrostatic phones. The various Audeze planar magnetic phones were surprisingly varied in sound, though they all were on the lush side of the headphone spectrum. I liked a model with a closed back the most (it was not quite as lush sounding as the others). A VERY expensive headphone amp using BIG 845 tubes, made by the Italian company Viva, sounded particularly good with an Audeze phone. I heard the Abyss phones and was, overall, quite disappointed with it--it sounded somewhat like an electrostatic phone (meaning somewhat lean in the midbass) but something seemed to be "missing" in terms of musical communication; it was also by far the most uncomfortable phones I tried at the show. The most comfortable phones were the Sennheiser HD-800, but, for my taste that is a WAY too lean and bright sounding phone.

Stone Turntable and Gardo like this.
  21. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Jeez, get back to us when you have some decent gear to write about. jk :laugh: Seriously, very nice and I envy your setup. My endgame would be the Stax SR009 with the BHSE. I have heard these at some meets and while they might not be everyone's favorite, they would absolutely be end of the line for me.

22. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD650s. Love them.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Same here. They're my go-to cans.

Jerod likes this.
  24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Use 2 pairs of ATHM50's ....$400 for the above mentioned 650's dunno?

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm not a big headphone fan although I've used them for years. There are times when if you want to listen loud or have the music running around inside your brain only headphones will do. My beef is that I've never tried a pair that have been comfortable for more than an hour. Perhaps some of the high zoot ones are but they're not in my budget.

That said, I used Sennheiser HD414's from sometime in the 70's until the early 90's. Not realizing I could replace the cushions after they'd disintegrated, I put them in a donation pile to the local thrift and some lucky bastard probably picked them up for a dollar or two. I like on the ear phones better than over the ear because I'm almost always listening alone and late at night and like to keep my situational awareness up. After the Sennheisers I got some Optimus on the ear phones and liked them because they were airy and not too bassy. On the recommendation of many people in the recording world, I later picked up the Sony MDR-7506 but I've never liked them. Probably better for recording vs. home audio. In any event, I found them uncomfortable and very bassy. I just got some Grado SR80E's and have found them to be a good compromise for me. Bass is clean and punchy but not boomy or deep and the mids and treble are crisp without being shrill. Still, I prefer just listening to speakers as long as I can play at a volume that pleases me. Living in the country a half mile from the nearest neighbors, my only consideration is my family.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.